Pilot Figures

Erfolg

Is there a list of pilot figures at various scales available. and perhaps styles, If so where will I find them?

I have down loaded "WW1 Baron Von Richthofen" from Thingverse. I will print it tommorow, taking  ab out 5hrs. The thing is if it is either to big, or small, is it possible to rescale. If so, how?

Advert

Just do a search on pilots on Yeggi or STLfinder and you will turn up lots of files. The stls are scaleable to whatever scale you would like. It's useful to have a table of key widths and heights for various scales, so that you can scale accordingly. Many files are free, but there are some very good ones available ranging from a few pounds to tens of pounds. CG Trader and Cults site have a selection.

I use Meshmixer to cut the section of full body pilots that I need for a particular model, then scale the exported STL in my slicer to match one or more  of the key dimensions in the table below.

Measurement Shoulder width Pilot scale factors          
A Chin to top of head Scale A inches A mm D in D mm E In Emm
D Torso length 1\3 3 76.2 11.5 292.1 6.25 158.75
E Shoulder Width 1\4 2.5 63.5 9.5 241.3 5.25 133.35
      1\5 2 50.8 7 177.8 3.75 95.25
      1\6 1.75 44.45 6 152.4 3 76.2
      1\7 1.5 38.1 5.5 139.7 2.875 73.025
      1\8 1.25 31.75 4.625 117.475 2.625 66.675
      1\9 1.125 28.575 4.25 107.95 2.375 60.325
      1\10 1 25.4 3.5 88.9 1.875 47.625
      1\11   0   0   0
      1\12 0.875 22.225 3 76.2 1.5 38.1
Edited by leccyflyer
  • Thanks 1

When you have loaded an STL file into your slicer there should be some mechanism to scale it, either right click or look for an icon. Searcg Google for your slicer. For example I run Cura, the 3rd icon down on the left like a small white cooling tower by a larger black one is the scaling function. Then you can print yoda at whatever scale you want to be your pilot.

ultimaker-cura-screenshot-04.png

Edited by PeterF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Leccyflyer, the chart is now stuck into my reference book.

Peter, when the Baron has finished printing, I will be attempting to re-scale in Cura. Hopefully I will then print.

There is a lot of methods and techniques that the Mag could run singular pieces on. It could easily become a series, either by a singular person or a series of individuals with specific knowledge.

In the not to distant future I want to produce some exhaust manifolds for my Dornier 335. The stubs go from a round to rounded corner rectangle, whilst turning through 90 degrees. I will be back, as at present I have only the vaguest idea.

Erfolg.

Are you familiar with rcscalebuilder.com ?

You can join for free, but if you subscribe (not expensive) you have access to lots of information including a repository for 3d print files, which is growing all the time.

I think that this site could do with something similar.

Kevin, no, I was not aware of rcscalebuilder.com.

With respect to your suggestion with respect to 3d files, I agree.

I can see how it would also work for RCM&E (whoever the holding group is), in that it would be an opportunity to tie advertising for 3d filament, printer accessories, 3d printers and so on, linked to the file location, probably there  would be linkage to other titles with similar repositories.

It suggests from the online survey, that the new owners are looking to develop the business, which I guess will be new revenue streams and reducing/containing costs. Our hobby has changed, continues to change, I think it i easy to turn your nose up at small income streams. Yet I think that the sale of big/expensive models is dwarfed by the lower cost end, where the both the enthusiastic entrepreneur and small business exists in numbers.

• Like 1

Another vote for RC Scale builder. It's a modest cost  - about $25 a year IIRC - and there are some quite good 3D print files in the repository, especially for cockpit details and other scale bits and pieces. On top of that the scale documentation, articles and imagery is very useful.

• Like 1