Foam board ME 109, first foam build, anyone else want to join in?

martin collins 1

Here it is, https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-polystyrene-insulation-board-l-0-8m-w-0-6m-t-3mm/1906879_BQ.prd 3 different thicknesses, 3mm is the one to go for, internal structure i use this https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/white-foam-board-a1/5397241000.html  in store it is 4 for £10. It has a paper surface on both sides which gives it a lot more strength, i made the wings and tail/fin from this, the curved top surface of the wing had the lower paper removed to allow it to be curved over a work surface.  On my fuselage i have used this https://www.diy.com/departments/vitrex-classic-5mm-foam-laminate-solid-wood-flooring-underlay-panels-pack-of-19/5011204608997_BQ.prd  5mm, the Dial stuff is probably even better and can be bought in 3mm. At the price of the material you can experiment with which one of these is best for your applications If you have any questions post on here as there are several who are building some great scale models, let us know how you get on 😃

• Like 1

No problem, i have two or three unusual scale subjects which i am lining up to build, i feel confident that i can produce them using these materials. I will be heading to B&Q tomorrow as well, going to get them to mix up the paints i want for the 109 as match pots, a cheap way of painting it compared to the Tamiya acrylics in their small pots.

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

Welcome to the FB club James!

Great work Martin, looks really good. Regarding 4S, I had the same issue with the Regianne. It would be fine on 3S, but balance was the issue. I now know how to keep the rear end lighter using this material, so it's a good lesson learned.

Are you going to test fly before finishing? Richard Wills recommends this, but my view was if it's going to only fly once, let it fly in it's best bib and tucker. But Richard has a point; if you invest less time, you fear it less. 

Graham

• Like 1

Thanks Graham, it will get painted first, i want to see it looking all painted up, it will live in my lounge for a couple of days like i do with all my new builds so i can admire it! The cost of the paints is minimal and i enjoy getting them looking nice. weather looks a bit rubbish for a test flight early this week as well.

martin

I have used B&Q grey underlay quite a bit but in a slightly different way to you using long narrow planks over formers supported by an long 'printed' EDF duct.

FirstPlanks.JPG.a5339a7dd2ed4afa4c5bee8bf38f3fed.JPG

A bit like carvel boat building but it does produce a very light but stiff structure.

Planks2.JPG.c77edc4d696625a8ff21258003ce75c0.JPG

With judicious sanding and filling you end up with a reasonable surface finish.

Complete2.thumb.JPG.e887453eee3c3a47a4751f3e403633a2.JPG 

A true scale prototype Hawker Hunter with a 50 mm EDF. All 5mm grey B&Q foam apart from the fin and tail plane which are in 3mm white Depron.

Basically still a cheap foamy, using just 2 sheets, but with so many joints the glue costs almost as much as the foam!  

• Like 2

Lovely Hunter Simon, again shows the possibility of this method of construction 😃.  I have got the 109 balanced on a new 3000mah 3s pack i have spare so it looks like it has found a home! Weighed it as well, obviously minus the paint but it has come out at 2lbs 2oz, that is a whole lb lighter than my similar sized Cambrian 109 which i lightened from standard, that runs on a 2200mah 3s so the weight of the foam one includes the extra weight of the larger battery. Will post more pictures once i have painted it, looks like it will be the bottom scheme of the three i posted, thanks to those who expressed a preference.

Picked up the paint today, as suggested by one of the other forumites i am going with the Valspar test pots from B&Q, they mixed these from the lids of my Mr Hobby Luftwaffa acrylics that i used to airbrush a 1/72 Heinkel HE111 earlier this year. The Mr hobby jars are £2 each, the large Valspar paints are £4 for mucho more, they will do several planes instead of needing 3 or 4 of the small jars to airbrush an R/C plane, result i say, the paint is a very good match as well. I will try thinning with water to see if they will go through my older airbrush for spraying the finish, i shall report back on that.

IMG_20220905_175820_resized_20220905_061005956.jpg

Evening Martin,

Emulsion is the way forward!

I spray mine, but Rich uses the dry brush method to great effect. The issue with spraying is that the colour particles are large and block my airbrush all the time. I think the older badger one is OK though. I now use a cheap touch up spray gun from ebay. It works really well, but does guzzle paint. OK when you have premixed, a bit scary when you've mixed your own and you're running out!

Graham

• Like 1

Thanks Graham, i am going to try spraying it, a couple of questions, the white papered Hobbycraft foamboard, do you lightly key the surface with some 400-600 paper of,  paint the Valspar straight on to it, i take it that no primer is needed on that or the brown paper with this type of paint? I asked the guy mixing it in B&Q about primer and got a blank look and a shrug of shoulders. Done a bit more tonight, dummy exhausts made, quite pleased with them, made from foam and card, currently working on the tropical air filter and top cowling guns, then just the wing filets to do before the paint goes on.

The 109 is looking lovely Martin. I've received my pack of b&q 3mm foam and can't wait to get started now. I think I have found some foam meat trays on Ebay that I can use for skinning tail feathers with, it looks about 1/16" thick and cheap enough to experiment with.

How does the b&q foam sand? I'm thinking of ordering some 9mm for lwr fuselage shaping ahead of the leading edge of wing. Or am I still thinking too much like a balsa modeller and should design differently and curve the foam around formers?

James.

Looking forward to seeing your build James, the foam goes round the front formers without problems just run it over the edge of a work surface to help it curve. Do a search on Youtube and you will find demos of how to do it, the foam does have a grain and it curves much easier that way. Mine is just waiting for painting, i`ve had other stuff to take care of this week but will be painting it shortly. I have made some wing fillets from a cardboard cereal packet which are glued on with UHU POR.

IMG_20220915_181305_resized_20220915_061421586.jpg

• Like 1

Let the painting commence! Underside was painted today and tomorrow has been put aside to get the two main top colours on, Graham you were right the airbrush was a non starter, even thinned so it was a very watery colour it wouldn`t run through the airbrush properly. I do have one of those car type touch up spray guns, ran through that a treat just thinned with water. Hardly used any of the £4 pot of paint and no outlay on thinners 🥳, cheap as chips! Will post some pictures tomorrow once the top colours are on, will just have the yellow under the chin to do in a few days time once the other colours have cured properly so i can put the tape on for masking.

• Like 1