Foam board ME 109, first foam build, anyone else want to join in?

martin collins 1

I currently have the Mosquito, same suit but I have built the Wellington, P38, Corsair, Stuka and profile Mosquito from the same crowd.

My foam board Mosquito is a cross between an  Aerotech and a Flite Test, and a Warbirds Replicas Spitfire with bits and pieces from various sources Heinz 57 springs to mind, it's  also the best flyer

• Like 2

Bit more progress today, i had two failed attempts at bending the grey depron round the back of the cockpit with heat, nearly got it there before it cracked so third try was with the B&Q foam board with the paper off, got there this time. It is all going to be covered in brown paper so the two different types won`t show., battery hatch is all covered now as well. 

IMG_20220819_230049_resized_20220819_110137510.jpg

IMG_20220819_230107_resized_20220819_110136615.jpg

Edited by martin collins 1

Hi Martin,

the depron looks the same as I used on the Me 110, I have said many times it has a grain and if you bend it one way it will crack, cut the same shape out at 90% and it will form without heat. The rear panels on the 110 were cut out and formed over a brush shank and taped on over night, the previous photo you put on shows the depron formed in your fingers and it is bent round without cracking.

_20220102_112855[2698].JPG

Thanks Eric, the two previous attempts to bend it were both tried at 90' to one another, turns out i had it round the right way the first time, no idea whey it cracked, looking at the remains it cracked at 45' to the length? The grain runs the length wise direction of the depron sheet, i have now bent the final fuselage piece at the tail and as you have said i bent it round a counter top and it has not cracked although it is a sharper bend than on the previous piece, no heat required.

Good progress today, both wings made and joined, wing saddle required a small bit of surgery, next job will be to fit the motor and front of the nose, the fuselage can then be covered before the wing gets glued on and the tail/fin fitted. Could be finished bar the paint by the weekend, only thing standing in my way is an MOT on my car tomorrow, if it passes i can crack on, if not i will be up to my elbows in car grime.

IMG_20220824_210957_resized_20220824_091016656.jpg

• Like 2

Got a b and q 20 sheet pack of vitrex premium black underlay 5mm X 600 X 850mm approx for £25, to experiment with.

Anyone using this foam material ?

Dog, of course there is, it's mentioned and shown a few posts up from here.

Off to check if there is a "foam board" thread section...

Still learning after all this time....

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

Fuselage covered in brown paper/PVA and canopy made from foam, got a couple of creases in the brown paper covering on the rear fuselage, i will sand these down carefully and fill where the paper joins are then give the whole fuselage a coat of thinned PVA to seal and toughen the paper covering. The wing will be fitted tomorrow, may even get the tailplane/fin on as well, just ordered the spinner so bar painting it will be finished in the next couple of days. 🥳

IMG_20220901_183952_resized_20220901_064021039.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

No one else like to vote on the final choice of colour scheme? Thought it might be a bit of fun but obviously no one is interested excepting Graham D (thanks Graham).

My vote would be for a Swiss scheme, but of the three above the top tropical scheme would be my choice.

Cheers Idd