KK Falcon Covering

I'm in the process of building this classic large model from Plans and a Belair set of parts.

The cost of covering material, along with almost everything else at present, is increasing. Whilst the model will not be completed until at least 2023 I'd like to hedge my bets a bit and buy the covering well ahead of finishing the build. 

Based on experience of constructing this model, can anyone suggest a reasonably accurate amount of material that would be needed? I'm quite keen to use Oratex but I do realise this is very expensive, hence the need to order just about the right quantity for the job.

Cheers for now

SW

Hi Skippers,

I used a 10 metre roll of Natural Oratex, with some left over for repairs!

It was trimmed with leftovers of red Solartex, donkey's years old, probably about 4 metres.

Oratex paint (100ml can) was used around the nose area, and a little around the tail. Only used perhaps 20ml.

Oratex is excellent, easy to apply and very stable.

Enjoy!

1.jpg.40346729c0ef9fee0494b8e97463e5e2.jpg

• Thanks 2

Many thanks Steve that's a great help. I did try doing a surface area measurement and subsequent calculation but I didn't feel that confident in my results.  The wings were fairly straightforward but the fuselage was something else!

I do have a few bits and pieces of Oratex in my store that I can use for trimming.

It's such a nice model and a big build for me so I rather wanted to get it right. The cost is escalating with time and it will probably be my last large project (in my late 70's now).

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers Chris (SW) 

PS Skipper doesn't walk far these days. see pic below.

F13028BE-4F81-4CDE-B3CD-2ABC51242F4C.jpeg

Looking at Slec website today and got a shock,they are asking £40 for a 2m roll of Oratex and Oratex have lobbed 4" off the width.@@@

PC world are doing the same roll for £35,still expensive.

Looking like builders going back to tissue and dope 😎

Or doculam film, with doped tissue.

My version will be electric, with a load of foam board for non stressed areas, ie most of the substructures. I no longer run IC motors that small, foam is lighter. Tempted to use ceconite, and spray it with non shrink dope, and paint as needed. No fuel problems with my envisaged heresy. 
Childhood dream, might as well lay it to rest.

Perhaps the only problem with Koverall and Diacov is that they are only available in one colour. Koverall looks white to me and Diacov looks like unbleached linen. With a vintage model like the Falcon this is not a problem, both appear to be transluscent and both should show off the model's structure well. Some coloured trim could be added of course either with paint or off-cuts as Skippers has suggested. Shame that Solartex is no longer in production, they made six Vintage Colours.

PS. Skippers, my four year-old Swiss Shepherd keeps me active with two walks a day! At seventy-four I can just about manage it!

My Doggy (1).JPG

PPS. My old club chairman covered a vintage model, a Carl Goldberg "Sailplane," in polyester dress lining. Advantages? Loads of colours and cheap as chips. Disavantages? Need to use dope and fuel proofer as well if using an i/c engine and not everyone likes the smell of dope. I've sometimes thought of applying the stuff over doculam but I have stocks of Solartex so I've never got round to it. Chiffon also works well I'm told and I suppose you could always use a water-based dope or even water-based varnish. Never used it myself so can't comment.

Club Chairman with electric powered Carl Goldberg Sailplane.JPG

Thanks for the recent comments re covering material. I've just calculated that covering the KK Falcon at current Oratex prices would run out at about £170, Ouch!! A very expensive finished model🤔

Interestingly and American supplier who appears able to mail Koverall  to the UK. Including the UPS delivery cost this works out at about £5 a metre for 10metres. The doping cost would probably be somewhere between £10 -20 at UK prices.

I certainly don't mind the doping process, it was all that we used in the early days apart from water shrunk tissue.

Chris ( SW)

PS love the dog photo David, my Skipper still manages two walks (strolls) a day but he's nearly 14 now.

Have a look at laminating film. The 70 micron would be ideal for a KK falcon. A100 meter roll the same width as normal covering will cost around £30. Do search as some seller think its obviously made of gold ! Its available in gloss clear or Matt . The matt looks like doped tissue. Apply just like normal covering film but use higher heat to shrink etc. Its very strong doesn't go saggy in the sun, takes paint very well is fuel-proof and overlaps stick down really well. In fact overlaps can only be undone with heat applied.  I made a test piece and left it in our greenhouse a couple of summers ago . Its still tight and no noticeable UV damage . The only downside is you have to paint it. i haven't tried stick on trim yet so cant comment.

Its available in lighter grades but for a large model the 70 micron is stiffer and stronger and the lighter grades normally come in widths around 300mm

I'm in the process of finishing a Elf biplane and using laminating film to cover it . have covered  the bottom wings and tail feathers but have top locate a plan to build a top  wing as it came to me without it . I'll post some pics of the covered parts soon so that you can see the applied covering.

Personally I’m happy using 38 micron on all models with open structures up to 3m WS but it does depend on the basic strength of the framework. 38 micron is available in 600mm wide rolls. Whilst I’ve not tried it yet, you can apply the paint to the underside of the lam film before fixing it to the airframe and it seemingly doesn’t have any adhesion problems!

You don't have to paint doculam. I usually cover mine with tissue using cheap thinned water based varnish. You could also cover doculam with dress lining, stockings or anything else you can find. I only paint anything if I really have to. I use the 38 micron stuff as kindly supplied by Ron.

• Like 1