Zenoah zg62 PCI Recommended?

Edgeflyer

Hi All 

I am resurrecting an elderly but good wild Hare Extra 540. It needs a 60 cc engine and is designed around a Zenoah. As I don't have an engine I'm considering getting a second user one and could go for the Zenoah zg62 with electronic ignition. Is this to be recommended? My main concern is the need to get though a noise test at our quiet site!

Please advise

Advert

Re the noisy Zenoah . Don't forget that a large part of the noise come from the inlet on the side port Zenoahs . It the carb can be fitted to a 90 deg inlet and kept inside the cowl or if there's room , draw from a plenum chamber in the fuz a lot of noise will be subdued. Everybody automatically blame exhaust and prop noise and forget about the loud suck from the intake. 

Re noise, not a Zenoah but a DLE50cc, by carefully selecting the prop and using a proper canister silencer a club mate was able to get his model to meet our 82dBa at 7m noise limit. So before you buy a zg62 check that you can get a suitable manifold and canister silencer for it. Nothing against Zenoahs they seem great engines, friend has a magneto 38 in a Privateer, after several years lay up it restarted with the fuel left in the tank and continues to run fine still, only used at fly-ins where there isn't a noise limit though as it's on a standard silencer and above the club site noise limit.

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above. But my 2pennorth is that a) we don't fly outside people's houses b) nobody moans about or limits noise from motorbikes in town , petrol hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, mowers etc.

Oh well looks like we'll all be buying lots of Chinese lipos soon. Good for the environment??

• Like 1

I have a Zenoah 62 PCI installed in a Toni Clark (TC) CAP 21. It uses a TC Hydromount resilient engine mount and TC canister silencer.

The combination of engine/engine mount/silencer/propeller results in a very quiet aeroplane (for 2-stroke petrol). The dominant noise is propeller noise (Engel Super Silencer 24 x 10). If you want more details see: www.toni-clark.com for the various bits.

8 hours ago, Phil B said:

I agree with all of the above. But my 2pennorth is that a) we don't fly outside people's houses b) nobody moans about or limits noise from motorbikes in town , petrol hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, mowers etc.

Oh well looks like we'll all be buying lots of Chinese lipos soon. Good for the environment??

Phil, did say he needed to get it through a noise test. While I agree with your sentiment there is a government issued code of practise, if you don't abide by that then any neighbours could take it up with the local authorities.