Pulse jet

fat head

Hi, a friend is looking advise on how to ignite a spark via a spark plug on a pulse jet he is working on. He is looking for something that can be attached to the plug then removed when the jet starts to fire up. It needs to cause a series of sparks to ignite the petrol vapour in the chamber. 12 v will be the power source i think!

Advert

Nope, not illegal Simon. Merely not allowed most areas.

FH. Given no-one else has the answer for making your sparks I may be able to get the details for you.

I know that it was found not to be a good idea to fit a spark-plug to the Pulsejet unit, but to use an external probe with the plug at one end and the control unit at a right angle at the exhaust end. Welders gloves were the order of the day for the guy inserting the probe

FH

If it's any help, instead of a spark plug some people used to simply heat up the tailpipe with a blowtorch, once you get a bang the cycle starts and your'e away.

And no, theyr'e not illegal if they are under control, just antisocial, I believe they are illegal to use free-flight.

Bert

Bert wrote (see)

FH

If it's any help, instead of a spark plug some people used to simply heat up the tailpipe with a blowtorch, once you get a bang the cycle starts and your'e away.

And no, theyr'e not illegal if they are under control, just antisocial, I believe they are illegal to use free-flight.

Bert

As seen in use at the NATS this year....and boy they are still as noisy and scary as I remebered them to be!

Hi

The conventional way to fire a spark plug on a pulse jet is to use a "trembler" type coil (as used on the Ford Model T!). This has a moving armature switch (a bit like an electric buzzer) that switches the coil on and off rapidly giving an almost continuous stream of sparks, or you could move into the 21st century and use an automatic piezo system like those used on CH heating boilers, they spark about twice a second.

Now whether the spark plug will actually light the fuel/air mixture in your pulse jet is quite another matter! 

Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)
As seen in use at the NATS this year....and boy they are still as noisy and scary as I remebered them to be!

You're right about that Timbo, I was about 13 when I saw my first pulse jet (at Tangmere I think) and I can still remember the panic that ensued all around me when the thing started up! Gosh - I was scared witless

Also note a pulse jet is just that, it pulses! Not the buzz of an IC engine but full thrust on & off - several times a second! If you are going to fly it make sure everything on the model is fixed firmly.

On a historical note the Americans spent some time just after the war trying to improve the V1, the worlds first cruise missile, code name "Loon" but found that the severe vibration made it difficult to make anything, including the pulse jet itself, last much longer than about 20 minutes.

Simon your photo of a pulse jet is very like the one my friend has! your right about the noise!!! i was at  a show in Scotland a few years ago and they had a twin pulse jet in the air a few times. It would be hard to let on to the wife you havn't been in the shed firing up one of these!!!  But they are fun to watch.. I hope he takes on the advice you guys have posted. Colin.

My dad had one as a kid. It had a fuel tank that you had to pressurise with a bike pump, heat the pipe with a blowlamp, turn on the fuel and off it would go!

He told me he got into all sorts of trouble one time when he tied the jet to his bike and went thundering down the High Street in Newport on the IOW, burning out the brake blocks in the process. Just after the war this wasn't one of his better ideas!

And speaking of V1's (Eric), I had a photo of my old man as a 10 year old sitting astride a V1 that had come down in a field close to the family farm and didn't go off.

• 2 weeks later...
Doug I had LOL picturing your dad sitting on the V1.. at what point did he decide that this thing won't go off???? LOL.  Kids have no fear!!  I remember watching a couple of kids hitting a 120mm mortar round in the middle east with a iron bar!!!  I Did'nt hang around to long to find out if it was a dud.

• 1 month later...
My brauner pulsejet could be started using a blowlamp at the exhaust (not on it, that took too long). During a start a few puffs of air resulted in fuel at the exhaust which burnt like a lazy candle. As the fuel runs out, the flame would suddenly run back into the pipe with a wwwwump.  If you timed it right, the next puff of air set it off.

I also used a spark plug from an old petrol model engine.  I drove it with an electronic ignition kit from a car shop (less popular these days) and it was driven by a 555timer set to 350hz.   I used to push the button to set the sparks going but got lazy and put the 12v battery on the button. This was fine until you reached for the plug clip (forgetting to remove the battery off the button!!!).

Its polished up as an ornament now that ive built a turbine

just found this thread re-pulse jet's---read an article a few years ago about them--allthough not illegal--the article stated that if you used a one you would probably end up having model aircraft flying banned within a 5mile radius of where you were

ken anderson.

Tell you what guys, make it a long weekend or holiday and come to the Machrihanish Fun Fly with your Pulse Jets. We can take anything legal so any other models large or small are also welcome. With luck we will have a nice delta fitted with three of them, there. Last year our Pulse jet jockey was stuck abroad so did not make it. Hopefully this year we will see him. Must register first though as the Airfield is still M.O.D.

Just to be technically annoying Eric, the V1 was a ram jet not a pulse jet.

I saw a twin pulse jet model displayed at North Weald many moon ago (this was like way back when the first commercial model turbines were being displayed to the public). That was totally awesome, but I still remember the terrible sound, I really admired the guy at the controls for the shear spectacle of the thing.