Help with RSSI issues

Edgeflyer

I have an X10s with ISRM upgrade.

Recently I have bound to an S6R Accst Rx to get stabilisation modes. Seemed to work ok but doing a range check gave less than 6m before Rssi critical alarms. I tried with a new S8R Pro ACCESS. Same result. Going back to RX6R on ACCST gives full range as does G-RX8 with Vario. So the problem does not look like the tx RF module. I have external antenna selected in each case. 

Any ideas please?

Advert

Can you try another RX by substitution? Is normal service available on all your other RX?

I had an RX8PRO that did a similar thing. When swapped out for another normal service was resumed.

Result. The RX was destroyed by a big hammer!

A faulty RX could be your issue. Check the aerial leads are correctly seated in their little IPX connectors on the main board.

Denis, Thanks for the advice. The reason I was testing this was because I did 1 circuit with my Riot with the S6R installed and it gave signal critical straight after take off . The new SR8Pro Archer on access also gives low Rssi warnings under 10 m on range check.

On 01/11/2022 at 13:45, Denis Watkins said:

Best signal obtained with aerial ENDs opposed 90°

IMG_20221101_134140.jpg

Given the very short distances over which the OP is is seeing significant DB drops and low RSSI alarms, I don't think this is anything to do with aerial orientation.

Normally the RF board is the least likely bit to be causing an issue in my experience (with Frsky at least, Spektrum not so much... ;)). However, given this is an ISRM upgraded set and you are only seeing this issue on ACCESS it does seem to be the most likely point, especially as you have seen the same issues with multiple ACCESS RXs.

My suggestions...

• Check the RSSI alarm levels that are set in your TX for ACCESS - according to this they should be 35 for the low warning and 32 for the critical warningDo a range check and see how it performs.
  • Find someone with a "known good" ACCESS capable transmitter, and bind the two RXs which have low range with your TX. If they work fine it enables you to eliminate them as a possible cause of the issue.
  • Do you have a known good receiver capable of either ACCESS or ACCST based on the firmware bound to it, something like a GRX8? If so you could check it is fine in ACCST, reflash it to ACCESS and rebind, then test that to see what range it has. If it's substantially less than in ACCST mode and the RSSI alarms levels are correctly set it points at the ISRM module.
  • If all the above test point to the RF module, then it's time to go back to your vendor (hopefully that is T9 wo have great service) and get them to check it over. Given it's solder free install I suspect they will just offer you a replacement; the only issue might be if it's down to an aerial connector on the TX itself, though that seems unlikely given ACCST performance is still ok. Good luck!

Others have had a similar problem :-

https://frsky.co.uk/forum/frsky-r-xsr-receiver/very-poor-rssi-when-changing-from-accst-to-access/paged/3/

A suggestion is to initially ignore the RSSI figures and do an actual range test using a receiver setup outside. Probably need two people, one to walk away and the other to signal loss of reception. 

Many thanks for advice.

Obviously I've done range tests and checked aerial orientation.

The alarm settings seem to me just a way if the tx letting you know when Rssi have fallen without you moving focus from the model. That can't affect range or reliable performance. When in the ground I can guage Rssi without alarms.

Yes I agree the way to test is using a known good access Rx/tx combo and I will work on that 

• Like 1