Look what I Found

tiny-james

Well still looking for my Transmitter but while I was looking for my radio I found my Son's Radio so I'm hoping to use this to fly my glider Pheonixs 1600 glider and maybe a trainer I am looking.

So will this radio be ok to fly my glider ????

what RX will I need for the radio

Advert

That will do nicely. For receivers, the clue is at the bottom left of your picture where it says S-FHSS. This is the communication protocol for the system.

For 6 channels, this will work: Futaba S-FHSS 6ch Rx (but it does say only 300m range)

For the full 8 channels: Futaba S-FHSS 8ch Rx (probably better as it is full range)

It's confusing with Futaba, because there is also T-FHSS. This is not compatible for your system.

Edited by Jonathan W
Updated info
  • Thanks 1

I use a T8J and you do not need that switch for basic stuff. Can be fixed at a later time.

The R2106GF mentioned above is fine for small foamy's, I have one in a mini Spitfire. For general use I recommend R2006GS this is also a full range RX.  Pic is of the Spit and a vintage type Veron Cardinal.

SAM_1616 (1).JPG

• Like 1

A list of all compatible Rx for various Futaba Tx can be downloaded here.   You can see that the T8J is compatible with only a few Rx but will be suitable for flying most models including the Phoenix and any trainer when using a suitable Rx.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J D 8 said:

I use a T8J and you do not need that switch for basic stuff. Can be fixed at a later time.

I don't know a lot about Futaba Txs, but would it not matter in which position the switch was left when it broke? It would be a pain if you had to live with a flap or airbrake bias on your ailerons or elevator all the time.......

• Like 1

Max is right of course, but it may be possible to inhibit the action in the menu.    A new switch will be best.

Changing the spring on the stick to convert to Mode 2 could probably be done by threading some thin thread through the eye of the spring and pulling it off.  This stops the spring flying off into the unknown!   Then putting back on the opposite side.  Then there is some other ratchet stop to swop over too.  That's the way the dealer did it to convert my new Futaba 6EX many years ago.   Then changed Mode in the menu.  Probably the same in later Tx too.

I have a Phoenix due to be fitted out with motor and Rx soon.   One thing I realised is that the motor bolts may be tricky to fit, so I found that the motor bolt thread was the same as 2 normal 'quick link' rods (SLEC etc) which being much longer than bolts could be pushed through from the nose into the fuselage then threaded into the motor in order to pull it up into the nose.  Then two bolts could inserted and the quick link rods unscrewed and replaced with 2 more bolts.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Max Z said:

I don't know a lot about Futaba Txs, but would it not matter in which position the switch was left when it broke? It would be a pain if you had to live with a flap or airbrake bias on your ailerons or elevator all the time.......

With the function INH [ inhibited ] in the program menu nothing will happen.

• Like 1

Tiny James, your transmitter as shown in the picture that you posted earlier today is a Mode 2 transmitter. Most British pilots are Mode 2 but a substantial minority, (30%-40%) are Mode 1, throttle on the right. It does not really matter if your instructor is Mode 1 or Mode 2 but it will be easier if he is Mode 2 as well.

I live in France where all of the other pilots in my club are Mode 1 but I can still instruct even though I am Mode 2, it's just not quite so easy!

• Like 1

Thank you Earlybird and now I can see the LED screen It does say Low Battery also the throttle is in the letf hand stick and the LED screen also say's mode 1 and a Hellicopter symbol So I will have to replace batteries and clear the settings 

So their a one button clear profile/setting procedure ?

That does not sound right. In mode 1 the throttle stick would be on the right. Mode 2 is throttle on left. Maybe the mode setting in the menu system is not matching the mechanical configuration.

Have a read of the manual I linked to previously for setting up procedures. However, it's probably easier if you go to a local club and have somebody there sort out your radio for you.

• Thanks 1

There is no Mode display on the LCD screen, perhaps you are seeing the word "model" in the top left?

I think your T8J is set in Helicopter set up. To move to aircraft on page 1 of menu use the joggle stick to move and highlight [ press/select PARAMETER to enter ] screen jumps to page 3, scroll down until you get to TYPE Yours will say HELICOPTER, press + or - and type will change to ACROBATIC for aircraft. jog to Execute and press jog to set. It will ask you to do this again to confirm.    John.

• Like 1

A lovely transmitter. I have used one for the last 9 years and am really happy. Well your set up with throttle left which means it will set up to mode 2. If you want mode 1 it can be changed both mechanically and in software , mine came as mode 2 and I changed it over. The manual has full info. Just go through the manual and set it for aero and the mode you need. Glad you have got a switch but it’s no big deal they can be allocated in software. Lovely radio and infinitely suitable for most flying applications As for the battery it’s a basic 4 cell receiver battery. Sounds like you need a new one. Overlander or 4 max will sort one if you don’t have a LMS

• Like 1