RC Simulator

tiny-james

Advert

So, after trying to find out where I went wrong I have now uninstalled Phoenix from my computer as it would not see my controller.

So I have tried Clearview and that has found my transmitter but it no free any advice welcome I'm getting quite despondent now with the hole Simulator program's I have two CD's and both are showing virus both bought from Amazon and I shall be returning them 

After installation of your chosen flight sim, or your free 10 minutes per day Clearview trial, switch the computer OFF.

With the computer OFF, and the transmitter OFF, always Tx Off.

Attach the USB to the Transmitter and the Computer.

Start up the computer.

When up and running

Start up the flight Sim

Follow screen prompts

Hi James, have you got a dongle and adaptor set something similar to this?

DSC03930.thumb.JPG.c2ce9537f3365e3736f031d73afe48fb.JPG

If so the parts you need are, the USB adaptor, the double ended mono jack cable and the rectangular adaptor which plugs into the back of your transmitter.

DSC03932.thumb.JPG.0d710b6cedd07ea1b8ad557a7c1a846d.JPG

Make sure that the switch on the USB dongle is set to Phoenix

DSC03931.thumb.JPG.162ae2f4313c2668437b7df3d0cd33ce.JPG

Plug them all together and put them to one side.

I would ignore the CDs which came with your set. You can play with them later if you want to once you've got the system up and running. I've read previously about the CDs having viruses so I would exercise some caution!

Instead go to this website:

Phoenix Simulator Downloads – RC-Thoughts.com

And download the Phoenix CD file highlighted below with the (rather crude) arrow.

Installation instructions are given a little lower on the web page if you're not sure how to proceed.

Phoenix_1.thumb.jpg.886e3893b616cac16fca17f0f488cb4c.jpg

Don't bother installing updates at this stage as you merely need to get a working system - you can update later.

While you're doing the above I'll go away and produce some images of the next steps....

GDB

So this time I have ordered a dongle with a switch and a UK seller from ebay.

I have just looked on my Amazon dongle order and the images shown are all with a dongle so they have sold me a different type of dongle with automatic switch over 

clearview is working for now so I will use this until my other dongle arrives 

Good question! The answer is I don't know.

However, if Clearview can see your transmitter then it's obviously working, so it's probably a good idea to carry on in the assumption that it's OK and see what happens.

So, the next steps.

Leave the dongle to one side for now.

Assuming that you've downloaded and installed Phoenix satisfactorily, run the program and you should get an opening screen something like this

Phoenix_2.jpg.0ba3d9ed03f9ebae99a067ca7a24b9ce.jpg

Click on 'Start Phoenix R/C and the following should appear

Phoenix_3.thumb.jpg.1363be661fe7df856d02759e22d502c5.jpg

Close this screen and you should get this one, telling you that your USB interface is not detected.

Phoenix_4.thumb.jpg.fb3fbfb08c0f36928ccc85448324db04.jpg

With the dongle NOT plugged into the back of the transmitter, plug the dongle into a USB port. If Phoenix recognises the dongle the USB message will disappear and be replaced with the following

Phoenix_6.thumb.jpg.010bc2e9d9278db29fc26f621f7913e8.jpg

If all is OK so far, with the transmitter switched OFF, plug the dongle assembly into the back of the transmitter. I'm assuming that nothing will happen. Then switch the transmitter ON. 

I'm not sure what will happen next, but, I think that, as no transmitter has yet been setup, it will ask you to setup your transmitter. If this is the case, then success!! Follow the instructions to set up your TX.

Incidentally, the instructions tell you to set up your transmitter for a helicopter - I would advise you ignore this and carry on in aeroplane (ACRO) mode - it's much simpler.

Hopefully you've got this far and all is well. If not, let us know where things go wrong, and we'll try to help.

GDB

• Like 1

Just out of interest I've downloaded Clearview.

The dongle I have has a switch for selecting :

(a) XTR, G2, FMS

(b) G3, G4, G5, G6

(c) Aerofly

(d) Phoenix RC4

Clearview works in modes a,b &c, but not in (d)-Phoenix!!

The inference is that a dongle which specifically supports Phoenix is required.

I don't know whether that has any bearing on our current discussion 🤨

Also, Phoenix is vastly superior to Clearview from what I've seen.

GDB

Edited by Caveman
Additional text