Help and Advice For a Complete Beginner To RC Glider Building and Flying

Greg

Similar to the Keil Craft Caprice  I mentioned earlier is the Pichler Amethyst which is now available in an RC version with a small electric motor to launch  it to height. 

There is a rather nice video of the glider version being flown from a clifftop by John Woodfield which shows how well it flies, here. It weighs just 230g so no need to register with the CAA either. Also to avoid confusion the kit was produced by West Wings but now by Pichler.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

18 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello Piers,

The Caprice looks good but as it is a free flight glider would it be difficult to launch? As I have said being 74 with Arthritis my strength in my arms is not what it used to be. That is why I thought of a powered glider. I thought I being powered might help me getting the craft off the ground.

Greg

Yes Greg, it is free flight. A hand launch on a flat field would result in very limited flight time, and probably a sore arm!

This type of plane is typically launched either:

• via towline - tie it to long piece of string (not really string but you get the gist) and pull it into the air by running into the wind OR
  • by bungee - essentially a catapult made of something like fishing line and rubber.

There'll be videos on Youtube of each of these.

If you built a Caprice, you'd learn the basics of building, covering, and trimming an aeroplane to be balanced correctly for flight, but nothing about controlling an areoplane.

All I'd add to the above is:

1) If you're set on building an RC balsa motor glider and going it alone, then do it. In my opinion there's no harm in incorporating stabilisation as it comes at very little cost, and you can enable or disable that functionality at the flick of a switch. It'll take a while to select, obtain and build the model so:

2) Meantime consider a foam motor glider that's quick to assemble and do it now. Pick something of similar layout and size of your balsa model aspiration. That'll start you off on the learning curve (and thus increase the future survivability of the balsa model) and you'll get the enjoyment of model flying straight away. Foamies tend to be more robust than balsa models, and easier to repair too.  I'm self taught as when I started in the 70's there were no clubs nearby. I crashed a lot 😉

3) Whilst slope soaring has much to commend it, I wouldn't point you in that direction at this stage of your learning.

4) Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

All I'd add to the above is:

1) If you're set on building an RC balsa motor glider and going it alone, then do it. In my opinion there's no harm in incorporating stabilisation as it comes at very little cost, and you can enable or disable that functionality at the flick of a switch. It'll take a while to select, obtain and build the model so:

2) Meantime consider a foam motor glider that's quick to assemble and do it now. Pick something of similar layout and size of your balsa model aspiration. That'll start you off on the learning curve (and thus increase the future survivability of the balsa model) and you'll get the enjoyment of model flying straight away. Foamies tend to be more robust than balsa models, and easier to repair too.  I'm self taught as when I started in the 70's there were no clubs nearby. I crashed a lot 😉

3) Whilst slope soaring has much to commend it, I wouldn't point you in that direction at this stage of your learning.

4) Enjoy.

Hello Graham,

Thank you for the advice. I think what you have said is the way forward for me.

Regards,

Greg

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yes Greg, it is free flight. A hand launch on a flat field would result in very limited flight time, and probably a sore arm!

This type of plane is typically launched either:

• via towline - tie it to long piece of string (not really string but you get the gist) and pull it into the air by running into the wind OR
  • by bungee - essentially a catapult made of something like fishing line and rubber.

There'll be videos on Youtube of each of these.

If you built a Caprice, you'd learn the basics of building, covering, and trimming an aeroplane to be balanced correctly for flight, but nothing about controlling an areoplane.

Hello Piers,

Thanks for letting me know. I think with my Arthritis hand launching is not going to be possible. My arm will need some help 😀

Regards,

Greg

40 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Children and Grandchildren do come in handy as fetcher mites 🤣

and launch ground crew.

Steve

Hello Steve,

Yes, I agree. Especially when you get to my age. My wife would say I was being lazy and it wouldn't hurt to use your legs occasionally. I say I've used them for 74 years. It's now time to give them a rest 😁

Greg

12 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Similar to the Keil Craft Caprice  I mentioned earlier is the Pichler Amethyst which is now available in an RC version with a small electric motor to launch  it to height. 

There is a rather nice video of the glider version being flown from a clifftop by John Woodfield which shows how well it flies, here. It weighs just 230g so no need to register with the CAA either. Also to avoid confusion the kit was produced by West Wings but now by Pichler.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello Piers,

Thanks for letting me know. I think with my Arthritis hand launching is not going to be possible. My arm will need some help 😀

Regards,

Greg

You don’t hand launch the Amethyst Greg, it has an electric motor. I only added the link to the glider VERSION so that you could see it flying. Sorry for the confusion.

Greg, if the hands won’t cooperate, either you go with an aircraft with an undercarriage, but that needs a smooth runway, especially fo small models.

an alternative is a launch catapult. Not difficult or dear to make. Look online, catapult launcher for model aircraft.

Edited by Don Fry

When I say you ‘don’t hand launch’ an e-Amethyst I mean, you don’t have to hurl it into the sky. Just start the motor and pretty much let-go, with it pointing into wind. Not much point fitting a landing gear to an e-glider. Anyway the ‘power set for the Amethyst is here. No doubt Model Shop Leeds or Retro. Modeller could order a power set in for you. The Pitchler product number for the power set (motor, folding propeller and electronic speed controller) is 15027. 

Edited by Piers Bowlan