Help and Advice For a Complete Beginner To RC Glider Building and Flying

Greg

18 minutes ago, Greg said:

Hello Andy, Thanks for letting me know about the Graupner Amigo. I have had a look at it but being the beginner I am I can't see if the kit can powered. Perhaps you could let me know.

Greg

Graupner used to sell a power pylon kit for the Amigo, I don't think it's available now but if you have experience building wooden models it's fairly easy to make one out of balsa and ply. Think it used a 2s lipo in the fuselage.

https://profimodel.cz/de/graupner/36927-pylon-pro-elektromotor-amigo-iv-4013389037501.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Graupner used to sell a power pylon kit for the Amigo, I don't think it's available now but if you have experience building wooden models it's fairly easy to make one out of balsa and ply. Think it used a 2s lipo in the fuselage.

https://profimodel.cz/de/graupner/36927-pylon-pro-elektromotor-amigo-iv-4013389037501.html

6 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

If you do go this route you would need the correct motor/prop combination and might have to play around with the thrust line to avoid the model pitching down on application of throttle.

Wooden version of the power Pod here.

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?keywords=amigo&sort=1a&products_id=65984

Unfortunately also out of stock.

• Thanks 1

Greg, if you want to start with an electric model then I would suggest you buy a kit/plan designed in the first place for electric power.

Mainly because the model will need to be set up and trimmed to fly properly.

If you get a model that needs adapting then decisions on how to fit a motor/battery/ESC setup will have to made.

Adding a motor will effect the CoG and that basically has to be right for a model to fly successfully.

I started off with gliders (unpowered), under the guidance of a couple of guys, using bungee launches and then slope soaring.

I built my first 2 gliders from plans, both balsa rudder elevator models, and then over time progressed to ailerons and aerobatic models.

In your original post the two models use ailerons, nothing wrong with that but an aileron plane generally always has to be flown.

A rudder / elevator model has some inherent stability so can be a bit more relaxing.

From my experiences you are better off either joining a club or finding somebody to give hands on help.

Best of luck.

Regards

John.

Edited by John Wagg
  • Thanks 1

I learned to fly RC with a Balsa Cabin Sonata so I can recommend it as a 1st model. I built mine as a bungee launched glider but my second glider was a larger Fantasia converted to electric (they don't appear to do this any more).

After that I built a Bird of Time 3 metre bungee launch glider. All of these were great fliers but the Bird of Time was a fantastic flyer, it would thermal on a Rabbit's poomph.

Unfortunately B of T does not seem to be available as a kit any more,  however, Hyperflight do a micro version which I'm sure could be converted to EP https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=MICRO-BOT&name=micro-bird-of-time-1-2m

The Sonata is a very stable flyer and, having learned to fly with one, I can recommend it.

As has been said, when the glider is flying towards you then move the control stick as if to prop up the low wing and only use small movements.

Better still, as I did, would be to have someone who could fly already to launch it for you then hand the transmitter to you when at a safe height. It didn't take long before I was able to launch and land as well.

Welcome to the hobby, there's nothing more satisfying than building a glider, launching it then catching a thermal and seeing it 'speck out' before returning to land at your feet.

• Thanks 1

The Sonata that has been mentioned multiple times is a good choice for a beginner, but being designed in the pre-brushless, pre-lipo era means it will not be as straightforward to build in an electric version as other more modern alternatives. There are posts on this very forum about successful conversions, but for a complete first timer it does add some more complexity that could potentially cause issues, so I’d be inclined to go another route.

Perhaps something like the Pichler Charisma might suit - laser cut, designed for brushless power and with a 2 piece wing for easy storage. Worth considering; I have never built a Pichler, but they have a good rep and the instructions are supposed to be quite comprehensive. 

9F84C4FC-A835-415A-9282-1714C6E59915.jpeg.d16bdece0129865801b12fa3080a6dec.jpeg

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

I built a Graupner Amigo 2 about 5 years ago from a kit & made mods to it for electric power.  Here's a link to the build with some drawings of the e-power mods. As you will see the motor is in the nose which has the advantages over a power pods of being cleaner (aerodynamically), lighter and not restricting the prop diameter.

AFAIK that the later version of the Amigo is basically the same but has laser cut parts, some cosmetic changes and a more sensible fuselage construction. 

If you fancy building an Amigo 2 from plans they can be downloaded in pdf format from here or the Amigo 3 similarly here  

Another similar size glider that can be built from downloaded plans is the Orange Box. Much simpler construction than the Amigo & although I've never owned one I have flown a couple of versions from slope & flat field sites near Filey, Yorks. I can vouch for their good performance & easy handling. Would need some mods to fit motor & battery for electric power but I'm sure this wouldn't be difficult with some advice from this forum.       

I have no experience direct of the Sonata but it's about the same wingspan as the Amigo which I think is a good entry size for thermal gliding as it will allow a decent performance, be visible at thermal altitudes but easier to handle close to the ground than larger span gliders. One thing I'm not clear about is if the current plan of the Sonata gives details for a modern motor & battery power or if it shows brushed motor & nihms. 

PS I can probably post some PDF files of the mods I made to my Amigo (if I can locate them)

PPS If you fancy a plan build Amigo you can purchase a good quality set of laser cut wing & tailplane ribs from here , they are what I used in place of the die crunched set in my original kit. 

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kc said:

I would suggest looking at the models sold by Phoenix Model Products.   They are in your part of the world so have a chat with them.   One of their models might suit you well .  The Pzazz E might be the thing

Sorry, but the Pzazz would not be a good choice for a beginner trying to fly alone  - it is an electrified slope aerobat, and would be too fast neutrally stable. The Snowy-e would be better, but still smaller than I would generally choose for a total beginner to gliding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Wagg said:

Greg, if you want to start with an electric model then I would suggest you buy a kit/plan designed in the first place for electric power.

Mainly because the model will need to be set up and trimmed to fly properly.

If you get a model that needs adapting then decisions on how to fit a motor/battery/ESC setup will have to made.

Adding a motor will effect the CoG and that basically has to be right for a model to fly successfully.

I started off with gliders (unpowered), under the guidance of a couple of guys, using bungee launches and then slope soaring.

I built my first 2 gliders from plans, both balsa rudder elevator models, and then over time progressed to ailerons and aerobatic models.

In your original post the two models use ailerons, nothing wrong with that but an aileron plane generally always has to be flown.

A rudder / elevator model has some inherent stability so can be a bit more relaxing.

From my experiences you are better off either joining a club or finding somebody to give hands on help.

Best of luck.

Regards

John.

Hello John,

Thank you for the information. Very helpful

Greg

14 hours ago, PatMc said:

I built a Graupner Amigo 2 about 5 years ago from a kit & made mods to it for electric power.  Here's a link to the build with some drawings of the e-power mods. As you will see the motor is in the nose which has the advantages over a power pods of being cleaner (aerodynamically), lighter and not restricting the prop diameter.

AFAIK that the later version of the Amigo is basically the same but has laser cut parts, some cosmetic changes and a more sensible fuselage construction. 

If you fancy building an Amigo 2 from plans they can be downloaded in pdf format from here or the Amigo 3 similarly here  

Another similar size glider that can be built from downloaded plans is the Orange Box. Much simpler construction than the Amigo & although I've never owned one I have flown a couple of versions from slope & flat field sites near Filey, Yorks. I can vouch for their good performance & easy handling. Would need some mods to fit motor & battery for electric power but I'm sure this wouldn't be difficult with some advice from this forum.       

I have no experience direct of the Sonata but it's about the same wingspan as the Amigo which I think is a good entry size for thermal gliding as it will allow a decent performance, be visible at thermal altitudes but easier to handle close to the ground than larger span gliders. One thing I'm not clear about is if the current plan of the Sonata gives details for a modern motor & battery power or if it shows brushed motor & nihms. 

PS I can probably post some PDF files of the mods I made to my Amigo (if I can locate them)

PPS If you fancy a plan build Amigo you can purchase a good quality set of laser cut wing & tailplane ribs from here , they are what I used in place of the die crunched set in my original kit. 

Thanks for the great information.

23 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello,

I am 74 years old and have just recently decided to take up the hobby of building and flying an RC glider.

I have experience in building wooden static and RC model boats but have never attempted a glider or aeroplane. I would like some advice on what kit I should purchase but I have to take into account that although able I am 74 and have some Arthritis in both my hands. Building the kit will not be a problem but I will need a glider that is powered and easy to launch from a flat area and is reasonably slow flying as my reactions to control are not as good as they used to be. I have seen the following glider kits online that come with a motor. Would either of them be a good place to start?

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/DW-Hobby/118572-/DW-Hobby-Sunbird-Balsa-16M-Powered-Glider-Kit-INC-1100KV-Motor-20A-ESC-amp-Prop

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/DW-Hobby/118547-/DW-Hobby-Griffen-Balsa-15M-Powered-Glider-Kit-INC-1100KV-Motor-20A-ESC-amp-Prop

If anyone has any other suggestions on what kit would be better for me I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Greg

Hi Greg. By all means enjoy building a trad kit glider (I'd go for BC's Sonata) but please be under no illusion that if you've never set up and test flown even a simple model like a Sonata, your chances IMHO of a successful first flight are very small indeed and will surprise and scare you if things go wrong.

My advice is to build the model and take it along to a local club and have someone experienced give it the once over and if they're happy, they'll test fly it and sort out any 'nasties' that are lurking and that even the simplest of models can throw at you. I've done it myself when I've inspected a model for an inexperienced modeller and have found a list of items that have needed to be corrected and would have resulted in a crash had the builder just 'had a go' himself. Favourites are reversed controls, rearward cg, too much control movement, warps in flying surfaces, slackness and play in control runs.....tbh the list goes on and all will go unnoticed to the model's builder.

Things happen very quickly with a model that's well out of trim, and before you know it without the corrective action that comes automatically to an experienced pilot, the novice is very quickly overwhelmed and winds up with a model that disappears out of sight, or falls into a classic spiral dive to its doom. Youtube is full of wrecks that could easily have been avoided.

You might not be particularly interested in clubs long term, but it might be well worth the effort and expense to avail yourself of the help available to get you going safely and with a minimum of problems. Lone flying is also very boring......

Good luck.

• Sad 1