Help and Advice For a Complete Beginner To RC Glider Building and Flying

Greg

Hello,

I am 74 years old and have just recently decided to take up the hobby of building and flying an RC glider.

I have experience in building wooden static and RC model boats but have never attempted a glider or aeroplane. I would like some advice on what kit I should purchase but I have to take into account that although able I am 74 and have some Arthritis in both my hands. Building the kit will not be a problem but I will need a glider that is powered and easy to launch from a flat area and is reasonably slow flying as my reactions to control are not as good as they used to be. I have seen the following glider kits online that come with a motor. Would either of them be a good place to start?

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/DW-Hobby/118572-/DW-Hobby-Sunbird-Balsa-16M-Powered-Glider-Kit-INC-1100KV-Motor-20A-ESC-amp-Prop

https://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Aircraft/By-Manufacturers/DW-Hobby/118547-/DW-Hobby-Griffen-Balsa-15M-Powered-Glider-Kit-INC-1100KV-Motor-20A-ESC-amp-Prop

If anyone has any other suggestions on what kit would be better for me I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Greg

• Like 1

If you want to try to go it alone, something like a

T2M FUN2FLY GLIDER 600 - T2M-T4518

will do. Everything comes in the box, it’s light enough that with some care you won’t injure others. It has electronic stabilisation systems. It’s about £120.
It might last long enough to get you to progress a little. 
The kits you suggest can carry a lot of energy. Something lighter reduces accident risk.

Edited by Don Fry
  • Thanks 1

Building your own model from a kit or plan is REAL aeromodelling and something to be encouraged.   Help and advice may be needed and we provide that on the forum.

Bigger models are easier to see and eyesight may be a factor as one gets older.

Edited by kc

Exeter, so not that far relatively speaking from a cliff lined coast, or suitable ridge, for slope soaring.

You have made boats and used them, so you are half way there. Think about saying out loud" prop the dipping wing with the stick". Then saying it out loud in your head. After this "conditioning" it will become second nature, consuming very little " thinking time".

I am sure you know why.

A kit with pre cut ribs etc. Is good, but make patterns etc. so that when you have a "bad arrival" you can make another wing, fuz or complete replacement model.

Don't even think about more than a simple 2 channel rudder elevator glider at the begining as two channels are enough. When confident, which won't take you long, move on to adding an aileron wing.

You want to go down the electric powered flat field type glider then 3 channel will be required, one channel controlling the motor speed/power, a subject I think you will already know about.

Sonata and sonata e have a good reputation ?

They must be good as they where about 40 years ago ish ?

Yes, making your own model, be it built up, foam or even foam board these days is real aeromodeller. Free flight is really real aeromodeller.

You know of all the "paperwork" needed for legal model flying these days.

Believe me, once you have made one and flown it, you will want to make another, and another etc., Much like model boats.

Enjoy, and wrap up warm. Muffs are available for tx so hands/fingers stay warm.

There will be a club near you.

Slope soaring is great, good views, excersice, fresh air, free fuel and you can stay flying for hours, weather battery and your stamina dependant. Lots of practise for your landing approach, landing in 3 foot high bracken ( or softer long grass ) hopefully.

Thank you both. I did wonder about the company DW. The questions I have asked today on the forum about being an absolute beginner and what did they recommend for a person starting out I had already asked of a few online model shops. Unfortunately they mostly replied with the DW kits and a host of others and I finished up completely confused. When I emailed them back to ask were the kits suitable for me as I was a person in older life which I had not done in the first contact not one of them replied. Too much trouble to get involved I suppose

I like the kit Balsa Cabin Sonata suggested by Gary. That looks more like what I am looking for. And, of course, one thing I didn't take into consideration is that like most people getting on a bit the eyes aren't so good either and the larger the model the easier it will be to see when it crashes 😀.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the hobby / sport.

My recommendation is not so much model orientated, but look around for a local club and visit it.

There will be folks there who will be able to assist when the build gets slowed up by strangely worded or technical instructions, and will be able to assist in you getting successfully air bourne for the first time.

If building a balsa model like the Sonata (which I think is a great recommendation), while your boat building experience will be invaluable you will need to remember to try not to add weight or beef up structures. "Build in lightness".

Best of luck & keep us posted.

Edited by Andy Gates

21 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Exeter, so not that far relatively speaking from a cliff lined coast, or suitable ridge, for slope soaring.

You have made boats and used them, so you are half way there. Think about saying out loud" prop the dipping wing with the stick". Then saying it out loud in your head. After this "conditioning" it will become second nature, consuming very little " thinking time".

I am sure you know why.

A kit with pre cut ribs etc. Is good, but make patterns etc. so that when you have a "bad arrival" you can make another wing, fuz or complete replacement model.

Don't even think about more than a simple 2 channel rudder elevator glider at the begining as two channels are enough. When confident, which won't take you long, move on to adding an aileron wing.

You want to go down the electric powered flat field type glider then 3 channel will be required, one channel controlling the motor speed/power, a subject I think you will already know about.

Sonata and sonata e have a good reputation ?

They must be good as they where about 40 years ago ish ?

Yes, making your own model, be it built up, foam or even foam board these days is real aeromodeller. Free flight is really real aeromodeller.

You know of all the "paperwork" needed for legal model flying these days.

Believe me, once you have made one and flown it, you will want to make another, and another etc., Much like model boats.

Enjoy, and wrap up warm. Muffs are available for tx so hands/fingers stay warm.

There will be a club near you.

Slope soaring is great, good views, excersice, fresh air, free fuel and you can stay flying for hours, weather battery and your stamina dependant. Lots of practise for your landing approach, landing in 3 foot high bracken ( or softer long grass ) hopefully.

You beat me to it Gary, Balsa Cabin Sonata is a classic and a superb flyer, just the right size too. You will have fun building it Greg.

if you give George Worley of 4Max a ring he will be able to recommend a suitable motor/propeller/electronic speed controller (ESC)and battery set up for it.

Some great advice from Rich there too.

Great advice. I mentioned flying from a flat area as there is a recreational ground some 200 mitres from where live. The thought of slope soaring frightens the life out of me but there is somewhere also close by were I walk the dog that would do for a start. It is quite high but there are overhead cables in the vicinity. 

2 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

You beat me to it Gary, Balsa Cabin Sonata is a classic and a superb flyer, just the right size too. You will have fun building it Greg.

if you give George Worley of 4Max a ring he will be able to recommend a suitable motor/propeller/electronic speed controller (ESC)and battery set up for it.

Some great advice from Rich there too.

10 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the hobby / sport.

My recommendation is not so much model orientated, but look around for a local club and visit it.

There will be folks there who will be able to assist when the build gets slowed up by strangely worded or technical instructions, and will be able to assist in you getting successfully air bourne for the first time.

If building a balsa model like the Sonata (which I think is a great recommendation), while your boat building experience will be invaluable you will need to remember to try not to add weight or beef up structures. "Build in lightness".

Best of luck & keep us posted.

55 minutes ago, Gary Binnie said:

DW is Dancing Wings, a Chinese company, cheap and not the best quality. 

Welcome Greg

I agree & think that DW may not be the best first build.

Some good suggestions above.

I would also recommend the AeroNaut range. Here's the Link to this German manufacturer which has a good reputation. Their kits are available through several UK retailers such as Sussex Models, Leeds Models & Retromodeller.

1 minute ago, John Lee said:

Welcome Greg

I agree & think that DW may not be the best first build.

Some good suggestions above.

I would also recommend the AeroNaut range. Here's the Link to this German manufacturer which has a good reputation. Their kits are available through several UK retailers such as Sussex Models, Leeds Models & Retromodeller.

Thank you john for the welcome and advice. You mention AeroNaut. I did not give them a thought. I am in fact building an RC Cabin Cruiser by AeroNaut at the moment. 

I'll have a look at the shops you have recommended.

Thanks again.

Greg

4 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

Graupner Amigo is a nice machine which performs well but more expensive than the Sonata. I hankered after one as a teenager, but had to wait - it was worth it!

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=25548&gclid=CjwKCAiAkfucBhBBEiwAFjbkr-AKy09ghEvtTGhPT48PKw7lQE0sRm9Xe3R-zOu6YtVbL18L01rWiBoCej8QAvD_BwE