Help and Advice For a Complete Beginner To RC Glider Building and Flying

Greg

20 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Hi Greg. By all means enjoy building a trad kit glider (I'd go for BC's Sonata) but please be under no illusion that if you've never set up and test flown even a simple model like a Sonata, your chances IMHO of a successful first flight are very small indeed and will surprise and scare you if things go wrong.

My advice is to build the model and take it along to a local club and have someone experienced give it the once over and if they're happy, they'll test fly it and sort out any 'nasties' that are lurking and that even the simplest of models can throw at you. I've done it myself when I've inspected a model for an inexperienced modeller and have found a list of items that have needed to be corrected and would have resulted in a crash had the builder just 'had a go' himself. Favourites are reversed controls, rearward cg, too much control movement, warps in flying surfaces, slackness and play in control runs.....tbh the list goes on and all will go unnoticed to the model's builder.

Things happen very quickly with a model that's well out of trim, and before you know it without the corrective action that comes automatically to an experienced pilot, the novice is very quickly overwhelmed and winds up with a model that disappears out of sight, or falls into a classic spiral dive to its doom. Youtube is full of wrecks that could easily have been avoided.

You might not be particularly interested in clubs long term, but it might be well worth the effort and expense to avail yourself of the help available to get you going safely and with a minimum of problems. Lone flying is also very boring......

Good luck.

I have had such good advice form everyone but reading some of the comments from some members is beginning to put me off the hobby. Personally I think for a person of my age at 74 it's not going to be worth even starting so I may as well save myself some money and stick to building RC boats. Having just recovered from a recent illness I thought that life was too short and that I should get out there and do some positive things whilst I still can so I decided to add glider flying which now seem to be a mistake. So I'll stick with model boating. At least all the dammed thing can do is sink 😀.

Thank you everybody for giving a me such  a good insight into this fascinating hobby.

Greg 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

I wouldn’t give up too quickly, give it a try, you have an advantage over me in that you are already used to rc, what transmitter and receivers do you have?  You can build a flight test model for next to nothing😀

Thank you Mark. I'm trying not to give up but everything that has been said has mostly confused me and being 74 I don't know if I have the time left to sort out the confusion 😄.

You say about building a test flight model. What would you recommend?

Greg

Try this one. https://www.flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-tiny-trainer  There is also a video that takes you through everything.  You can print out the plans and make the 3 channel model with hobbycraft foam board and but a 1806 motor for not much money of eBay or Ali express together with a 15 or 20amp esc.  Use cheap 9g servos from servo shop or the like and away you go.  You can also get coloured parcel tape off eBay which is great for covering.  The model is basically a very basic powered glider and you can add the aileron wing later on.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Greg said:

I have had such good advice form everyone but reading some of the comments from some members is beginning to put me off the hobby. Personally I think for a person of my age at 74 it's not going to be worth even starting so I may as well save myself some money and stick to building RC boats. Having just recovered from a recent illness I thought that life was too short and that I should get out there and do some positive things whilst I still can so I decided to add glider flying which now seem to be a mistake. So I'll stick with model boating. At least all the dammed thing can do is sink 😀.

Thank you everybody for giving a me such  a good insight into this fascinating hobby.

Greg 

Whoah, hold your horses...............as with many things in life there's a wrong way and a right way to go about learning a new skill and I'm yet to be convinced that the lone wolf approach is the best way to go unless one is happy to accept that one's ultimate chances of success will involve a series of damaged or even written off airframes. It really isn't  necessary. We don't learn to drive or fly full size with a weekly crash to deal with, so why should model flying be any different?

It can be done of course, you may have an innate skill that will make learning to cope with disorientation a non-event........In over 50 years of being involved with the  hobby I can only think of one chap who had a natural gift with model flying and really did teach himself from scratch without a serious crash, but he was an exception (he spent a couple of years in the hobby and then got bored and moved on to something else).

Don't give up before even trying, but don't expect even a slow glider to react like a model boat, it won't - this is what makes our hobby unique and challenging...........the three dimentional nature of it ...........why not book a trial buddy box flight with a club? https://try-flying.bmfa.uk/ That way you'll have some idea of what you'll be getting into but without any expense or risk. The East Devon Club can't be too far from you. You'll either love it or run a mile...........😉

Edited by Cuban8

Yes, Greg, please don't desert us yet!  Find a club - most will let you have a go at flying if you explain your situation..... you may get hooked, and meet some nice people.....

P.S. I spent years flying alone... loved it but have now found a great club full of great people.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Thanks 1

Looking on the BMFA's club finder here, there are 7 clubs within 20 miles of Exeter.

Not the best time of year to be doing it but spend a few hours visiting a few of them and have a chat with some of the members there. If the clubs are anything like my local club, you'll find plenty of people of a similar age to you who will be only too willing to talk to you and share their experiences.

What have you got to lose?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mark Turner 12 said:

Try this one. https://www.flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-tiny-trainer  There is also a video that takes you through everything.  You can print out the plans and make the 3 channel model with hobbycraft foam board and but a 1806 motor for not much money of eBay or Ali express together with a 15 or 20amp esc.  Use cheap 9g servos from servo shop or the like and away you go.  You can also get coloured parcel tape off eBay which is great for covering.  The model is basically a very basic powered glider and you can add the aileron wing later on.

Thank you Mark. I will have a look. It occurs to me that this might be the way to go at first. Having said that I could also build alone side the trainer a glider from a kit for future flying. What ever way I go it is all going to take some time as I have other projects on the go with my boat building etc. Not being a colder weather sailor or flyer I am planning completion in late spring 2023. Thanks again.

Greg

12 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Whoah, hold your horses...............as with many things in life there's a wrong way and a right way to go about learning a new skill and I'm yet to be convinced that the lone wolf approach is the best way to go unless one is happy to accept that one's ultimate chances of success will involve a series of damaged or even written off airframes. It really isn't  necessary. We don't learn to drive or fly full size with a weekly crash to deal with, so why should model flying be any different?

It can be done of course, you may have an innate skill that will make learning to cope with disorientation a non-event........In over 50 years of being involved with the  hobby I can only think of one chap who had a natural gift with model flying and really did teach himself from scratch without a serious crash, but he was an exception (he spent a couple of years in the hobby and then got bored and moved on to something else).

Don't give up before even trying, but don't expect even a slow glider to react like a model boat, it won't - this is what makes our hobby unique and challenging...........the three dimentional nature of it ...........why not book a trial buddy box flight with a club? https://try-flying.bmfa.uk/ That way you'll have some idea of what you'll be getting into but without any expense or risk. The East Devon Club can't be too far from you. You'll either love it or run a mile...........😉

Thanks for the reply

12 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yes, Greg, please don't desert us yet!  Find a club - most will let you have a go at flying if you explain your situation..... you may get hooked, and meet some nice people.....

P.S. I spent years flying alone... loved it but have now found a great club full of great people.

I'm not going anywhere just yet. I suppose I just got a bit despondent at the negativity in some replies. Recovering from a recent illness it gave me the idea to get out there and do something with what time I have to be able to do things. So as I  am still recovering I suppose that it all got a bit confusing and seemed too much trouble to proceed. I must say that my moment of negative thoughts has now passed and I am looking forward to progressing the hobby.

Thank you.

Greg 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

I started by building and flying in the local park. Towline glider like this.

Servo Shop

akk1020

Hours of fun building it then even more fun when it flew.

No BMFA, no CAA and no rules. Loved it.

Steve

Thank you. Very interesting. I'm beginning to think that is the way to go for starters.

Greg

I am glad you are feeling better Greg.

Just ignore the negative comments, there is no right way or wrong way to do this hobby. I have been flying model aircraft all my life, from the age of five (I’m now 66!) and have never been a member of a model flying club. 

I started with gliders and now fly electric gliders mainly. 
Just do your own thing Greg. 👍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Just ignore the negative comments, there is no right way or wrong way to do this hobby. I have been flying model aircraft all my life, from the age of five (I’m now 66!) and have never been a member of a model flying club. 

Hello Piers,

Oh, at last, A kindred spirit. I have always done my own thing. But I am sure that there are those that will not agree. But then that is their right. I spent 20 years working in a dangerous profession as a firefighter and made my own decisions daily. I'm now 74 and I'm still here so they must have worked! 😄.

Very best regards,

Greg 

As Piers says, there is not right or wrong way. I learnt to fly on my own flying off any field I could find (I was young and didn’t ask for permission!) and did enjoy it. But that level of enjoyment dramatically increased when I joined a club as that brought a level of fun that only a group of like minded fellows can bring. The other thing it did was improve the standard (and therefore enjoyment) of my flying plus the experience of others was extremely helpful adding to my building knowledge. These latter things are why others have urged you to join a club!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

20 minutes ago, Greg said:

Hello Piers,

Oh, at last, A kindred spirit. I have always done my own thing. But I am sure that there are those that will not agree. But then that is their right. I spent 20 years working in a dangerous profession as a firefighter and made my own decisions daily. I'm now 74 and I'm still here so they must have worked! 😄.

Very best regards,

Greg 

Having been through this thread again to check, I honestly can't see any negative comments, just a lot of voices of experience who know the challenges of beginning in this hobby and are trying to help you from making avoidable mistakes. Here's a brief summary of why....

1. Flying an RC aircraft of any type is undeniably more difficult than other forms of RC. If I get confused driving an RC car or piloting a boat, I let go of the controls and it stops or drifts gently one way or the other, with little or no consequence to the model or anyone nearby. That isn't true of an aircraft, which has a lot of potential energy that is all too easily converted into KE that could do damage to the model, people and property in the near vicinity. Sure, an e-soarer is less likely to do damage, but it's still not going to magically land itself if you get confused or connected the elevator up the wrong way round!
  2. Members of this forum will almost all have learned to fly from being instructed. Due to the factors above, almost everyone I know who has stuck with this hobby was taught to fly under direct instruction. This is because planes didn't used to be as resilient or (relatively) cheap as they have been in recent times, so they took a lot of effort to build and people couldn't afford to just "have a go", as the model would be wrecked in session 1 and they go home disheartened. Even with models like the E-Flite Apprentice which come with lots of onboard stabilisation that make it easier (at least initially) for beginners, only a tiny percentage of total newcomers would be able to get the model up and down on its first flights safely and without damage. No, you don't have to join a club (especially given you want to fly gliders which are often flown on public sites outside of clubs), but if you really want the best chance of being successful you will still need an instructor.
  3. Regulations have got a lot tighter and the implications of breaching them are greater. This hobby is experiencing ever increasing regulation worldwide, most of it driven by governments who perceive an economic opportunity in opening up the low level airspace to commercial use by delivery drones etc. Whether that is realistic or likely is a completely different topic, but the reality is that red tape is being piled up (registration has come in here in recent years, and in the US remote Id is now mandated in most cases), and the potential implications of a single individuals mistake on modellers rights to fly are now dramatically increased. For these reasons experienced flyers do worry far more about newcomers just "having a go" without understanding what is required to be successful or the regulations that they are legally obliged to comply with.

Once again, we are not trying to put you off, we just want you to a) have the best chances of success and b) do so without endangering yourself, anyone else, or impacting on other modellers. These factors are what is driving the advice you are receiving.

• Thanks 2

Hello everyone.

Having learnt such a lot over the past few days that I have now decided they way I want to proceed. Although I have had many suggestions for my first glider there has been so many that I am now a bit confused which would be best for me. So then decision I have made is to get a simple to fly glider for the beginner followed by a glider for the novice flyer. Now I would like to start again. Following all your helpful advice I would like recommendations for gilders given the following criteria.

1) An easy to fly park flyer preferably a kit but not necessary that is powered and perhaps has some form of flight stabilisation. Reasonably price so I won't cry when I break it!

2) A kit for a powered glider with motor that is for the novice/intermediate that would also be easy to fly to build confidence and which would adapt to more serious flying.

3) Concerning the park flyer I would like something that would suit an old git of 74. I don't mind walking to pick up the pieces once it has crashed but I would like something that is easy to launch

A lot to ask of you but I am sure that some of you have been down the same road and I would be very interested in what you would recommend.

I have to go out now so I will not be able to respond to you until either later or tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Greg 

17 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Having been through this thread again to check, I honestly can't see any negative comments, just a lot of voices of experience who know the challenges of beginning in this hobby and are trying to help you from making avoidable mistakes. Here's a brief summary of why....

1. Flying an RC aircraft of any type is undeniably more difficult than other forms of RC. If I get confused driving an RC car or piloting a boat, I let go of the controls and it stops or drifts gently one way or the other, with little or no consequence to the model or anyone nearby. That isn't true of an aircraft, which has a lot of potential energy that is all too easily converted into KE that could do damage to the model, people and property in the near vicinity. Sure, an e-soarer is less likely to do damage, but it's still not going to magically land itself if you get confused or connected the elevator up the wrong way round!
  2. Members of this forum will almost all have learned to fly from being instructed. Due to the factors above, almost everyone I know who has stuck with this hobby was taught to fly under direct instruction. This is because planes didn't used to be as resilient or (relatively) cheap as they have been in recent times, so they took a lot of effort to build and people couldn't afford to just "have a go", as the model would be wrecked in session 1 and they go home disheartened. Even with models like the E-Flite Apprentice which come with lots of onboard stabilisation that make it easier (at least initially) for beginners, only a tiny percentage of total newcomers would be able to get the model up and down on its first flights safely and without damage. No, you don't have to join a club (especially given you want to fly gliders which are often flown on public sites outside of clubs), but if you really want the best chance of being successful you will still need an instructor.
  3. Regulations have got a lot tighter and the implications of breaching them are greater. This hobby is experiencing ever increasing regulation worldwide, most of it driven by governments who perceive an economic opportunity in opening up the low level airspace to commercial use by delivery drones etc. Whether that is realistic or likely is a completely different topic, but the reality is that red tape is being piled up (registration has come in here in recent years, and in the US remote Id is now mandated in most cases), and the potential implications of a single individuals mistake on modellers rights to fly are now dramatically increased. For these reasons experienced flyers do worry far more about newcomers just "having a go" without understanding what is required to be successful or the regulations that they are legally obliged to comply with.

Once again, we are not trying to put you off, we just want you to a) have the best chances of success and b) do so without endangering yourself, anyone else, or impacting on other modellers. These factors are what is driving the advice you are receiving.

As a complete beginner and not knowing a thing about gliders and flying I, perhaps mistakenly, read some comments as negative and off putting for a man of my age.

Don't worry Greg, some posts (including some of mine) may come through as a bit 'abrupt' but the vast majority and trying to help. The problem is that all of the help can become a bit confusing (choice of model)  so the best bit of advice I can give is take your time on deciding on a model for your first 'build'. I notice that you have 'reset' your criteria, which is great, so now sit back and await the (many) recommendations!

• Thanks 1

Greg I am also seventy-four. The difference between us is that I have been flying r/c model aeroplanes for thirty-three years and instructing for twenty-five. In my opinion you would be better off contacting a local club and having a go on the buddy-box with their trainer. Don't worry whether it's  a glider, electric powered or i/c powered. Just have a stir on the sticks to see whether you like it. The skills you learn can be transferred to a glider later.

I have no experience of park fliers or  of models with in-built stabilisers but I have flown small models and would not recommend them as a basic trainer for a beginner, especially for a beginner no longer in the very first flush of youth. They are difficult to see and disappear rather quickly. I prefer a trainer with at least a five-foot wingspan. You may get away with a four foot electric powered foamie because they have a lower wing loading than traditional balsa and ply models and can fly more slowly but you will then have to re-adapt to the higher flying speeds of a balsa and ply model later on.

I haven't read all of this thread. Did you build and fly free flight models when you were young? If so you'll have some knowledge of basic aerodynamics which will be useful.

As for learning to fly by yourself, I'm tempted to say that you'll crash within the first twenty seconds but maybe your experience with radio controlled boats will help but if you insist on going it alone, just be gentle on the controls, don't bang them about. We have a novice in our club who is a model car enthusiast. When he's in the air we have to remind him only to use small control movements on the sticks.

I'm not trying to put you off but flying an r/c model is not as easy as it looks.

Just my two pennorth.

Edited by David Davis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Hello everyone.

Having learnt such a lot over the past few days that I have now decided they way I want to proceed. Although I have had many suggestions for my first glider there has been so many that I am now a bit confused which would be best for me. So then decision I have made is to get a simple to fly glider for the beginner followed by a glider for the novice flyer. Now I would like to start again. Following all your helpful advice I would like recommendations for gilders given the following criteria.

1) An easy to fly park flyer preferably a kit but not necessary that is powered and perhaps has some form of flight stabilisation. Reasonably price so I won't cry when I break it! Concerning the park flyer I would like something that would suit an old git of 74. I don't mind walking to pick up the pieces once it has crashed but I would like something that is easy to launch

Based on your ask and experience, the UMX Radian should do the job nicely and can be flown absolutely anywhere in a low wind, as well as indoors in large halls (ignore the bit in the video where they whiz it around fast under power, as a beginner you will just climb up, switch off the motor and glide at low speed).

Alternatively the FliteTest Tiny trainer would also do the job, and can be built very cheaply and quickly from their free plan in foamboard.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

2) A kit for a powered glider with motor that is for the novice/intermediate that would also be easy to fly to build confidence and which would adapt to more serious flying.

All of the previous suggestions we  came up with (apart from that Phoenix Pzazz) were good - an electric converted Orange Box from a Plan, Sonata E kit converted to brushless, or (probably the easiest option) the Pichler Charisma. If you really wanted to get in the air quickly without building you could also consider the full sized Radian, but that is quite pricy now and only comes in the heavier "Night" version. Note that all these suggestions will be too big for an average sized park, you will need a larger site.

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

I'm not trying to put you off but flying an r/c model is not as easy as it looks.

It rather does depend upon the model DD. There are some, like the offerings from Eachine / Volantex that really do nearly fly by themselves! My brother who used to be a really good flier but as a result of a stroke several years ago lost the ability to fly. It's been a long road for him to get back flying again with me on a buddy lead but as an experiment a year ago I asked him to fly my Eachine Corsair, on his own, so after launching it I handed him the Tx and he then proceeded to fly it around for 10 minutes before handing the Tx back to me! I've also seen newbies given the Eachine Mustang to fly and they can! These models are so well setup with their gyros that they really do fly themselves, and in all weathers too! Link to one of these here Wheelspin

If Greg proceeds down the Radio assisted model rather than RC model I'm sure he will make progress. Yes I can hear you all saying but he needs to know how to trim the model first to make it fly, yes, I agree but a lot of the park flier 'Biller' types are fairly benign so as long as the C of G is correct he will progress.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with MattyB about the Radians, I have both of those and they are brilliant although the Night Radian will easily exceed the park! The UMX is a little beauty and can be flown in a back garden (not if you live in a flat I suppose!). Don't let it put you off but a few years back I was flying mine in the field behind my cottage and it got in a thermal, it was somewhat difficult to get it back down again!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

It rather does depend upon the model DD. There are some, like the offerings from Eachine / Volantex that really do nearly fly by themselves! My brother who used to be a really good flier but as a result of a stroke several years ago lost the ability to fly. It's been a long road for him to get back flying again with me on a buddy lead but as an experiment a year ago I asked him to fly my Eachine Corsair, on his own, so after launching it I handed him the Tx and he then proceeded to fly it around for 10 minutes before handing the Tx back to me! I've also seen newbies given the Eachine Mustang to fly and they can! These models are so well setup with their gyros that they really do fly themselves, and in all weathers too! Link to one of these here Wheelspin

If Greg proceeds down the Radio assisted model rather than RC model I'm sure he will make progress. Yes I can hear you all saying but he needs to know how to trim the model first to make it fly, yes, I agree but a lot of the park flier 'Biller' types are fairly benign so as long as the C of G is correct he will progress.

Ok, I guess I'm old school. As I said in my response, I've no experience of models fitted with stabilisers. If they are easy to fly fair enough but it does beg the question, "Is it the novice flying the model or is it the equipment?"  I suppose that they may promote self confidence which is half the battle but for a seventy-four year old novice I still think they're too small.

I agree that the Radian makes a good trainer but it is obviously being flown by an expert in the video.

• Thanks 1