Buddy boxes as a second line of protection for experienced fliers?

Robin Colbourne

Reading David Davis's thread 'Aeromodelling at Seventy Four', about scaling back on his aeromodelling, got me thinking.

Primary reasons for R/C fliers giving up flying are failing eyesight and slower reactions.  Initially larger models help them with the former, and slower models with the latter.    There comes a time though, when, at some point in the circuit, one realises that it was largely luck that oneself and one's model through a moment of disorientation.
Like model flying, full-size gliding has a rapidly increasing average age amongst its participants.   The solution has been for the more elderly experienced pilots to fly with younger ones, so as a team there is the combined benefits of years of experience from the older pilot when flying cross-country and the eyesight and reactions of the younger pilot for situational awareness.  Even Derek Piggott, the renowned instructor, stunt pilot and author flew with a safety pilot in his later years.

We already have buddy boxes for training, so maybe its time we should consider it normal to use them as a means to keep older fliers flying safely, so they can remain active and valued members of our clubs?

• Like 1

Advert

Up to the individual, in my opinion. I'd have no problem asking for whatever help I thought I needed, but may be less receptive to institutionalised buddy boxing. However i't a theoretical discussion so my take is I'd be incorporating electronic aids such as stabilisation and RTH in order to retain independence before asking for a buddy box.

I could live with a buddy box. A modern wireless system is not intrusive. 
I got bitten last winter. I had a cataract developing in the right eye. Thought my left (non dominant eye) could cope. It was fine until I was a bit casual in finals, and put the flaps down going a bit fast, and from then on;

low, slow, winter light,  not many ideas, and struggling to see. A nice big heavy winter hack was broken. It was a lot further away than I thought.

Eyes now sorted.