Fw Ta 152

david tilbury

Ended up doing other things today, happens sometimes....smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif.....but i did make the standoffs for the baffle/cowl.....ordered some 5mm brass inserts that will go in the smaller hole on the loose piece of beech, a aluminum brace may connect the two standoffs as well....

There are 3 but the lower one will probably be a aluminum tube.

m_P1150465.jpg

m_P1150466.jpg

Advert

Brass inserts glued in.....made the round standoff using a M5 cap head screw one end and an insert the other....

Finished off the gun cover ready to take a female mold......not too worried about the finish of the mold as i can work on it after it's pulled off.....will use cling film or something as a release.

Cheers

m_P1150469.jpg

m_P1150470.jpg

m_P1150471.jpg

m_P1150468.jpg

Thanks Cliff......all the best Dave

Finally got back into the workshop.....as the temp is a little warmer today ....smiley36.gif.....so back on with the wings.....sanded down the new 1/4" spar for the flaps on both wings took a good couple of hours filling the gaps in the wing ribs......but happy now everything is flat and ready for the 2.5mm light ply top and underside.

Lined the alerion up that came with the laser cut parts ......the total width at the tip across the wing is fine but will replace the balsa parts with my own....looking down the back edge of the wing it's pretty much a straight line....smiley1.gif

Still haven't glassed the gun cover as it's still too cold for that....

Also been advancing the CAD on the Revi gunsight which is looking great...

m_P1150488.jpg

m_P1150489.jpg

Hi David,

Do you find the liteply a suitable material for wing skinning?  I have been pondering the same question recently. What bit of feedback I have been able to gain is that it might be a heavy alternative to a balsa skin.  It has also been suggested that Proskin is good especially as it needs no further finishing.  (Not used it myself)

Thanks for posting your build(s)  always interesting to follow.

regards

Stu K

Hi Stu,

Thanks for popping in....:-).....

The light ply is only over the flap area which is quite long on the Ta 152, in actual fact it's 2 flaps per side.......the rest of the wing will be skinned in balsa.....the reason for this is i need something stronger than balsa to cover the void......i did think of Proskin but i would have to pack the ribs out to allow for the difference in thicknesses.....the balsa sheeting is 1/8" thick...

There is a guy in Spain building the same aircraft at 1:5 and he has used proskin on the entire wing......never used it in anger on a whole wing ......getting it wrong would be a nightmare.....balsa is much easier in my mind....:-)

Once i have the underside of the flap finished you will see what i'm up too....

All the best

Dave

326995917_3448382468772364_3841931711768993879_n.jpg

• Like 1

Started laying the top sheeting....one thing i will work on is the butting edges of the outer wing panel to the center section.....needs a hard edge rather than balsa

Using 1/8" sheet as plan.....nice thing is it's slightly higher than the 2.5mm light ply so will be easy to sand down and match...

New wing joining line working well.

m_P1150490.jpg

m_P1150491.jpg

Thanks David......:-)....cheers

Another day in the office......planking....finished off the flap underside....been working on hinges this afternoon for the flaps.....3 will be added to each section, these will be hidden under a lithoplate skin.....the full size has 2 per flap..

also got sometime on the gunsight which is nearly finished....smiley1.gif......one thing i need to do pretty soon is shape the center section at the moment when both center sections are joined like in the photo they give a 'V' ridge down the center this needs to be removed and a soft curve adding

m_fifth draft1.jpg

m_P1150498.jpg

m_P1150499.jpg

Turned the glass dome for the gunsight from perspex.....also there wasn't a former for the rear of the cockpit, shame as i think this would have been a good addition anyway made a template of the fuz.....then cut and sanded light to fit.....this former isn't vertical it's at a slight angle.....the seat will go against this once made

m_P1150509.jpg

m_P1150510.jpg

m_P1150511.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Martian..........:-)

Been slow over the past couple of weeks as i've been making some 1:3 scale Spitfire parts for a UK model builder......but hope to get back on the project soon....:-)

If the weather's ok next week. i'll make the glass mold of the gun cover...

cheers

m_P1150514.jpg

m_P1150515.jpg

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 1

As the weather wasn't too bad today ....quite mild for the year i made the gun cover mold.

I'd had a go yesterday but it wasn't great.....so a quick phone call to Brian Wood...fellow uk scale bud......he put me straight.....glassing is something i don't a lot of.....any way hope the result works....

Used West Systems epoxy and 2 layers of light skinning cloth then 3 layers of 100g..

Also this is the first time i've seen the shape as it's a semi gloss finish.....rather than the grey/wood as before.....looks pretty good

See what happens tomorrow when i de-mold...smiley1.gif

m_P1150516.jpg

m_P1150518.jpg

I might need to have another go at the glass on my home made Spitfire cowl as the resin has stayed rather soft. Its not tacky and had fully cured, its just soft and the cowl is rather floppy as a consequence. I suspect it is down to my new epoxy thinner not behaving like my old one used to. I may need to hit the resin with a heat gun during the cure to evaporate it off next time.