Fw Ta 152

david tilbury

I started this project some years ago and got to a point where the wings were giving me grief.....talk about that later......it's a David Andersen plan at 1:5 scale, actually free to download off his site in the US.....at 1:5 scale it has a wingspan of 114".....quite large when you think the same Fw 190 which it originated from at 1:5 is 83"......saying it originated from the Fw 190 is probably wrong as it was designed by Kurt Tank as a completely new aircraft capable of high altitudes and probably was the fasted piston driven German fighter of WW2.

Only one exists not on display but in storage at the Smithsonian Museum in the US.

I already fly a Fw 190-D9 and A8 at 1:5 scale so this one will complete my Fw hanger.

The plan comes on 5 sheets, i bought a laser cut kit of parts from Belairkits here in the UK but not the cowl or canopy.

The fuselage construction is pretty straight forward but the installation of the Sierra tailwheel assembly was a little tricky if i remember..... 

P1020706.JPG

P1020710.JPG

P1020722.JPG

P1020725.JPG

P1020740.JPG

P1020745.JPG

P1020750.JPG

P1020752.JPG

P1020754.JPG

P1020756.JPG

• Like 1

Advert

Made the cowl pattern and laid up a glass front section, the rear veins were made by sandwich forming around a plastic bucket i found the correct diameter.....2 sheets of 1/64" ply......also there are 2 different shapes that make up the outer part which i've made open to allow cooling of the laser...

m_P1150431.jpg

m_P1150432.jpg

m_P1150433.jpg

m_P1150448.jpg

• Like 2

The other 2 parts (rectangular shaped blocks) are flair vents which were used for identification......

the top surface of the engine cover which is very long has taken time to get right as there isn't much to go on from reference material.....but i'm happy with how it's looking next will be the gun cover behind this

m_P1150440.jpg

m_P1150441.jpg

m_P1150445.jpg

m_P1150447.jpg

• Like 2

A real bonanza of photos Dave! Lots of terrific work to admire and certainly a very interesting build and subject. It really is quite a wingspan and high aspect ratio for a warbird, so I can understand there has been a few issues keeping it all straight. Interested to know where the issue was and how you got around it.  Many years ago I scratch built a 1/4 scale Bergfalke mk4 (4.3m span). Using blue foam blocks  I hot wire cut the negative forms of the wings top and bottom, incorporating the required washout and blended airfoil sections. The wing was then built over the forms. Some extra work but very accurate and a much more solid base to work on compared to packing strips and rib t/e tabs. Chris Williams did a feature in Silentflight magazine on the model.

Looks great to me. I have a 1/5 Fw190a waiting its turn and i am quite looking forward to working on it when i get the time and the space.

What sort of weight are you expecting for the 152? My 190 is composite and pretty porky (have seen reports online of them exceeding 30lbs!) so i am wondering if my 360v is a little marginal. My target is 25lbs, if i can hit that i will be ok as my Sea Fury is 23lbs and its fine for realistic Sea Fury like performance. 

I have seen a few videos of the 152 on youtube and the two i saw were hovering around 27lbs. If you can shave that down to 25 it would be ideal. 

Thanks Nick.....yeh talk about that wing later....:-)

Hi Jon, i'm hoping around the 27lb mark.....my Sist D9 weighs about 28-29lbs with a 300v and flies great, probably my best flying model.....the Sist A8 is 30-31lbs with a 360v and that flies well.....both land like a pussy cat....no horribles etc......so at 27lbs or less the Ta will hopefully be a dream on the 300v, as it's built up i hope the weight can be reduced unlike the composite D9-A8 which you are pretty much stuck with.....although i did make new rudders/flaps/ailerons for both from wood to try and save weight something you could try...

All the best 

The 36Ov engines sure are powerful! Those are all very respectable weights David and ideally matched to the engines from my limited experience.
Had me searching for some scales to weigh up all the component parts of my 190 less receiver and batteries of which there will be four (ignition, on board engine starter and two x receiver). I am up to 29-30lbs and no paint yet or balancing additions.  If my bathroom scales are half accurate I am going to be very touch and go to achieve a  sub 15kg model. My hope however, is that it is still possible as with engine and cowl in place and all tail surfaces attached the model is less very close to the c of g (wings not attached). Despite the short nose the heavy engine, cowl and spinner and fairly lightly built rear seem to be in my favour, plus all of those batteries when fitted will be well up front.

Thanks for the info Dave. The 190 i have is the 5th scale sist A series and i was hoping to keep the weight to 25. But, there is more to power requirement than just weight and span as my 23/4lbs and 80 inch sea fury uses all the power the 360 has, but my 23/4lb 88 inch DB hurricane is 'overpowered' using a 240v and it wafts along at half throttle while being over propped. Aerodynamic efficiency is a thing and the YT models seem to be very draggy in my experience. The DB Hurricane seems as slippery as a racing snake and certainly one of our 200 inlines would fly it even at 24lbs. 

But its good to know the sist model is slick enough to retain the energy and a 360 will do the work. Although i am slightly sad that i no longer have an excuse to bug the boss for my 75 or 90cc radial! 

The problem i had with the wing was the center section has a double skin of 1/8" balsa.....the formers for some reason didn't allow for this to happen.....so it got complicated but i think i have cracked it now.....the top sheeting now needs to be added....also the plan shows a complicated wing seat with about 3 different angles.....simplified this with one shape...also re-designed the flaps and flap bays......had some new ribs laser cut at Inwoods.....these need adding to the underside of the top wing sheet which is 2.5mm light ply...again a change by me to make the whole thing stronger...by the way the wing will finally be in 3 parts......with wing tubes which have been glued in 

m_P1150424.jpg

m_P1150425.jpg

m_P1150426.jpg

m_P1150427.jpg

m_P1150428.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

You have the Sist....ok......there's no way you can get it under 30lbs i'm afraid.....you need to ditch the glass elevators/rudder and build wood ones this saves weight...foam wheel at the rear.... use the Ali hub wheels from Sierra and there gear which is fine as nothing else fits well......i have about 1.5lbs of lead up front with the laser 360....not a easy one to make light......the D9 is better and lighter and also fly's better as it's like a pattern ship.....with the long nose and longer fuz.

saying that whatever the guy did with the wing section as it's not true scale it flys VERY well.....there's a video of mine flying on youtube....i'll find it

cheers

So progress......Laser 300 bolted in place (inverted)
...had to give clearance for the carbs which stick out about 2mm.....will have to do the same for the exhausts.....which have the extension tubes on

Gun cover blank is now ready to add the bulge......rather than just add filler and discover it's wrong i thought of using some kids playdough and work out the bulge...take templates and then remove and make good with filler mirroring the other side......once all done then take a mold off and make from glass so it will much lighter...

The end of the top surface still needs some work but it's looking much better...

Cheers

m_P1150449.jpg

m_P1150450.jpg

m_P1150451.jpg

m_P1150452.jpg

m_P1150453.jpg

• Like 3

So removed the playdough and glued on the soft shaped model lab board blocks and added filler some more work to do tomorrow as i ran out of car filler....

So started looking at the exhausts/cowl etc......the exhausts after a long conversation with fellow scale and club member John Carpenter are basically going where i first thought they would go on the underside.....a scale set of metal exhausts stubs would be great but the cost of metal printing at the moment is too high, maybe the future....smiley1.gifsmiley1.gif

The baffle will work well in the cowl.....the gap between the spinner and cowl is about the same as my D9 which has the 300v in as well and has never overheated...so i'm not worried about this the rear gap is much larger...smiley20.gif

Still need to make a set of cowl standoffs...

m_P1150457.jpg

m_P1150458.jpg

m_P1150459.jpg

• Like 1

Completed the laser installation today, made the clearance for the exhaust extensions from laser engines, cut out some epoxy board and recessed the fuz so to drop in.....slotted the holes to give a good clearance

Once glassed these will be made good.

Also brought some more filler and added to the gun cover pattern.....the shape is coming on nicely..

m_P1150461.jpg

m_P1150462.jpg

m_P1150463.jpg

• Like 1