Old NiCad chargers

John Minchell

Anyone got any good ideas how to re-purpose an old NiCad charger?

Or remove parts to use in, or to make something else. 

Seems a shame to chuck it out when there might be a use for it, or some of the bits.

Its a Robbe Power Peak Infinity, 1 to 30 cells and 5 amp capable.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks John M

Advert

Not sacrilege at all, you can't buy NiCads any more and the ones I used to have are long gone.

Just don't want to waste anything that could be used.

I still have 2 Shulze Chameleons which also do NiMh and LiPo's so they do get used.

Thanks for the idea Rich, but the fully adjustable power supply would be better for that (its what I already use for a hot wire bow).

JM

I’ve no ideas to offer John, but I’m all ears since I too have a Shultz Chameleon and also the Graupner branded version, neither of which have been used for years. That said, I do still have a number of 6, 7 and 8-cell NiCd batteries -they’re very useful for weighing things down!

• Like 1

4 in all Imax, hitec that charges 4 at a time and two Robbe infinity's, one permanently in the car as at lunch  (dinner for the Essex boys )

I decide what I am going to fly, I put it in the car and charge it on automatic, so when I arrive at the field a couple of hours later it's

all charged up and ready to fly, not forgetting my 'Multi 6' slow charger for my older radios still on nihm battery's.

• Like 1

I've had a Robbe Infinity since pre lipo days. It's a very good reliable charger for Nihm & Pb as well as Nicad. As well as the programmable output there's also a "dumb" constant current 250mA Tx/Rx charge only output which can be handy as a time saver in some circumstances. 

Yes,  but none of that invalidates the OP’s point that he (and I!) have redundant NiCd chargers, aimed very much at rapid charging of the larger packs for electric flight, which we don’t want to see go to waste. Of course, if anyone believes in their continued usefulness sufficiently to make us an offer, I for one am all ears!