Flight Simulator For A Beginner To RC Flying

Greg

8 minutes ago, Simon Burch 1 said:

Have you tried it out using a different PC?  That worked for me (I use Picasim and Phoenix). 

I've also experienced issues with dongles and leads, although these manifested themselves as twitching control surfaces or erratic inputs.

Hello Simon,

Unfortunately I don't have another PC to try. I am having issues with both the sims you have mentioned. I was hoping to use either of them as they are free and as I am new to RC flying expenditure is getting a bit high. I am also not a wiz with computers so some of the setting up of these sims goes over my head. I have been recommended Realflight which I have just seen is another expense to add to my growing national debt. So it seems that Realflight is the way to go as I don't want to spend anymore time trying to get the others to work. I also see that Realflight is supported so I have a hand to hold if I need it.

10 minutes ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

A while since I've used Picasim, do you have to tell it that you are using the external transmitter as the controller.

BTW Multiplex also do Multiflight sim available here the free version only has one flying site and a limited number of models, but you could see if your Tx works as a controller on that.

Hello Frank,

Not been a computer wiz I am not really sure if that is necessary but to be on the safe side I did find a place in the PicaSim settings and saved it there but it stilled would not work. Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at Multiflight.

I posted a link to the dongle I use.  Type in parts of the description in ebay, and you'll find lots - all perfectly safe.  There are also some uk shops (type sim cable..) but they're obviously more expensive, and probably came from the same factory as those listed on ebay.  Probably any on Amazon as well....

Phoenix has been suggsted as it's cheap, has hundreds of models available (and flying sites) and is rather good.  I've used it for years and have never missed vendor support.  There is nothing in it that I have thought "that could do with an update".  If you do get stuck, there is an active group of people who create new models etc., on rcgroups.  I've never had an issue....

Realflight is a good sim.  Very ecpensive if you just want to see if you get on with a sim though - for years I didn't like sims at all.

• Like 1

Greg, if you're get a response to your transmitter in Picasim then you're nearly there!

It sounds like you've landed at this page:

picasim_3.thumb.jpg.45a1ccbe0514f027cd8626d5a2ab49ef.jpg

If so scroll down slightly to here:

picasim_4.thumb.jpg.6467bfc204c134fff61457ced989eaff.jpg

Ensure that the 'Map to' setting is showing 'Roll stick'. Now move the stick on your transmitter which is used for ailerons (right stick usually) from side to side. The values in the dark grey background 'Joystick 0:Input' box should move from 0 in the middle to + or - something to the left and right. If so then we're on the right track.

Next, click on 'Save...', give your transmitter a name (FlySky?) to save the settings.

Have a go at that and report back. All the other sticks need to be assigned and calibrated, and then you're good to go!

I strongly suggest that you get your system working with Picasim before looking at other flight sims (a) because it look like it might work with the cable you've got and (b) it's a moderate learning curve to get you started. 

GDB 

30 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Greg, if you're get a response to your transmitter in Picasim then you're nearly there!

Ensure that the 'Map to' setting is showing 'Roll stick'. Now move the stick on your transmitter which is used for ailerons (right stick usually) from side to side. The values in the dark grey background 'Joystick 0:Input' box should move from 0 in the middle to + or - something to the left and right. If so then we're on the right track.

Next, click on 'Save...', give your transmitter a name (FlySky?) to save the settings.

Have a go at that and report back. All the other sticks need to be assigned and calibrated, and then you're good to go!

I strongly suggest that you get your system working with Picasim before looking at other flight sims (a) because it look like it might work with the cable you've got and (b) it's a moderate learning curve to get you started. 

GDB 

Hello,

Thank you for what you have sent. I'll give it a try shortly but I'm a bit tied up at the minute. My wife wants me to do something and if I don't then my new hobby may come to a abrupt and sudden end. 😁

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I posted a link to the dongle I use.  Type in parts of the description in ebay, and you'll find lots - all perfectly safe.  There are also some uk shops (type sim cable..) but they're obviously more expensive, and probably came from the same factory as those listed on ebay.  Probably any on Amazon as well....

Phoenix has been suggsted as it's cheap, has hundreds of models available (and flying sites) and is rather good.  I've used it for years and have never missed vendor support.  There is nothing in it that I have thought "that could do with an update".  If you do get stuck, there is an active group of people who create new models etc., on rcgroups.  I've never had an issue....

Realflight is a good sim.  Very ecpensive if you just want to see if you get on with a sim though - for years I didn't like sims at all.

Thank for the information. Unless I am missing it I don't see the link to the dongle that you said you sent.

Greg, here's link to a suitable dongle, and it's available from the UK and reasonably quickly. Importantly it is shown to include the connector you'll need for your FlySky transmitter.

22 In 1 RC USB Flight Simulator For Phoenix 5.0 Aerofly XTR VRC FPV Racing | eBay

The one GrumpyGnome mentioned in an earlier post is from China and only includes the jack plug cable and not the multi-connector needed for your TX

However, let's get Picasim working first.....

GDB

Edited by Caveman
Additional text

6 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Greg, here's link to a suitable dongle, and it's available from the UK and reasonably quickly. Importantly it is shown to include the connector you'll need for your FlySky transmitter.

22 In 1 RC USB Flight Simulator For Phoenix 5.0 Aerofly XTR VRC FPV Racing | eBay

The one GrumpyGnome mentioned in an earlier post is from China and only includes the jack plug cable and not the multi-connector needed for your TX

However, let's get Picasim working first.....

GDB

Looks good. I'll order one. Be back to you when I have had a go at getting PicaSim working with my TX 

2 hours ago, Caveman said:

GDB 

Okay, I have followed your instructions for joystick 0 and I am getting a response with the figures changing when I move the righthand stick from left to right. Next please! 😁

@caveman

@Greg

This is what I bought - it has the dongle, and a mini-coax cable.  A mini-coax to 'din-type' converter was included with the FlySky tx I use. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354096624986

Works perfectly and replaces the one I got when I bought the 22-in-1 sim which included software for Phoenix, Realflight (an older version that is upgradable), Reflex XTR and some other ones.  Subsequently, I changed PC'a and just downloaded Phoenix.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

@caveman

@Greg

This is what I bought - it has the dongle, and a mini-coax cable.  A mini-coax to 'din-type' converter was included with the FlySky tx I use. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354096624986

Works perfectly and replaces the one I got when I bought the 22-in-1 sim which included software for Phoenix, Realflight (an older version that is upgradable), Reflex XTR and some other ones.  Subsequently, I changed PC'a and just downloaded Phoenix.

Interesting. Thank you for the link. I see that one is from China. Has a delivery date within the first 7 to 9 days of February.

16 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

My FlySky tx came with a coax to trainer port adapter........ but yes, Greg will need one if his tx has the din-type trainer socket.

I was just illustrating how cheaply they can be found.

Yes, the port on the back is the Din type socket.

19 hours ago, Caveman said:

GDB 

Hello, 

You said in you post after instructing me how to calibrate the first setting "All the other sticks need to be assigned and calibrated, and then you're good to go!". Is the set up the same as you have already said for joystick 0 or are there different settings for the other joystick inputs? Please let me know because as usual I am confused.   😁

22 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yes, the port on the back is the Din type socket.

If your tx didn't come with a little 'din' to coax adapter, something like this provides a Phoenix dongle, cable, and adapter... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133283588109?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=7101533165274578&mkcid=2&itemid=133283588109&targetid=4584826055637456&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=412354546&mkgroupid=1299623041023876&rlsatarget=pla-4584826055637456&abcId=9300541&merchantid=87779&msclkid=344190a514d11a4ea6f9f36c1eaa0f49

There may well be UK suppliers, with a little searching.

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Okay

4 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Hi Greg, in answer to your question, all the setting up is done on joystick 0.

My question is, have you got a response in Picasim to movement of the aileron channel stick on your transmitter?

GDB

Hello,

Simple answer. No. First off when you start the sim and the default glider loads the small square in the centre of the crosshairs in the bottom righthand corner representing the stick has now moved to slightly off left of centre. When you move the stick on the transmitter from side to side to its full extent there is minimal movement of the small square on the screen but you can see some rubber movement. When you move the stick on the TX up and down there is no movement of the square in the crosshairs and no movement of the elevators on the glider.  I hope I have explained it okay. As this looks like it may go on for a while until it is sorted would it be better to PM each other rather that posting?

On 17/01/2023 at 14:57, Denis Watkins said:

Configure your sticks Greg, it does not matter that you have a Flysky; The correct lead just connects your controls and switches to the computer, and nothing else, no transmissions or signals, nothing from the RF board.

Connect your Transmitter, Switched OFF to the computer by USB lead, and it will come live.

Ok, your Tx needs to be calibrated to the sim, and is very simple. The sim has to deal with people who use left of right, up or down in all manner of ways, so all that it needs now is for you to go to Settings, and push each stick carefully, as instructed by On screen prompts,to all four corners for both sticks then set your switches for flaps and retracts.

I am your age by the way, as are many on this site.

And we all keep this hobby going.

Hi Greg, if you've got movement on the aileron stick showing, you need to calibrate you transmitter so Picasim knows the max throws of your sticks.

All adjustments are done and saved on Joystick 0

Go to this screen

picasim_4.thumb.jpg.48077ff726e91d19f9797a28df2d5b75.jpg

Centre your aileron stick and click on 'Press when centred'

Move the stick to the far left, click on 'Press when left or down'

Move the stick to the far right, click on 'Press when right or up'

Just for now move the 'Dead zone' button to give a value of 0.010 as above.

Waggle the stick from max left to max right and the Output value in the dark grey box should show -1.00 to +1.00

SAVE the configuration to the original profile (I suggested FlySky)

Go back to the glider and try moving the aileron stick from left to right, and you should see the RUDDER move accordingly.

Note: As this is a 2 channel glider the RUDDER is taking the place of the AILERONS. When you try 4 channel models the ailerons will work and the rudder will be moved by the left-hand stick.

Please have a go at this and then report back. If everything is successful then it remains to assign the elevator, rudder and throttle sticks.

Incidentally, can you confirm that your transmitter is Mode 2, i.e. ailerons and elevator on the right-hand stick, throttle (unsprung) and rudder (sprung) on the left-hand stick.

GDB 

20 hours ago, Caveman said:

Hi Greg, if you've got movement on the aileron stick showing, you need to calibrate you transmitter so Picasim knows the max throws of your sticks.

All adjustments are done and saved on Joystick 0

Go to this screen

picasim_4.thumb.jpg.48077ff726e91d19f9797a28df2d5b75.jpg

Centre your aileron stick and click on 'Press when centred'

Move the stick to the far left, click on 'Press when left or down'

Move the stick to the far right, click on 'Press when right or up'

Just for now move the 'Dead zone' button to give a value of 0.010 as above.

Waggle the stick from max left to max right and the Output value in the dark grey box should show -1.00 to +1.00

SAVE the configuration to the original profile (I suggested FlySky)

Go back to the glider and try moving the aileron stick from left to right, and you should see the RUDDER move accordingly.

Note: As this is a 2 channel glider the RUDDER is taking the place of the AILERONS. When you try 4 channel models the ailerons will work and the rudder will be moved by the left-hand stick.

Please have a go at this and then report back. If everything is successful then it remains to assign the elevator, rudder and throttle sticks.

Incidentally, can you confirm that your transmitter is Mode 2, i.e. ailerons and elevator on the right-hand stick, throttle (unsprung) and rudder (sprung) on the left-hand stick.

GDB 

Hello GDB,

I followed your instructions and unless I have done something wrong the changes made it worst. The small square on the crosshairs on the bottom right on the sim is more of centre to the left than it was before and I can see no movement of the control surfaces on the glider at all. 

The 4 channel FlySky FS-T4B transmitter is mode 2.

Is it something to do with the model of transmitter? Having given the transmitter some thought. I purchased this TX because it was recommended by Cornwall Model Boats as ideal for the boat I am building at the moment. I asked them the question, to save a bit of expenditure could I use the TX for both boat and plane? They said yes. But since then I have been thinking about purchasing a 6 channel transmitter for flying and use the 4ch only for the boat. I would like to buy the Futaba T6 for the aircraft flying. Would you think this TX would connect better to the simulator?

Before you started to give me the help I did email the developer Danny. He sent me a YouTube video he had made on how to set up a TX with his sim. To be honest, it went completely over my head. I did not understand a word he said in the video so I emailed him again, twice actually, and he has not replied to my request for more help.

I  know this sounds defeatist but I am spending a lot of time scratching my head on how I can connect my TX to a free simulator. On reflection, I think my time would be better served if I purchased a simulator or just do not use one at all.

I am able to use the PicaSim with my mouse but I just though that it would be better in the long run to use the TX on the sim I was going to use when flying. So perhaps I'll use the sim to get some practise with coordination and orientation of an aircraft when flying. That may give me a slight head start when I do go out there and do it for real. 

Thank you anyway for all the help you have given me. It really is appreciated. But I think you are trying to train a person who does not understand because they are completely new to RC flying and at an age when the old grey matter just does not want to absorb any more information. 

Shame really. Perhaps I should have started this journey about ten years ago.😄

Well, I know have in my possession a RTF foam Ranger 600 to help me learn to fly and my building challenge which is the RED Eagle powered glider which I plan to start building next week. I am really looking forward to that.

Good news re the Ranger - we just need the weather to co-operate now!  There are a few threads on here about the Red Eagle that may help you - just search in the bar near the top of the page.

I know I keep banging the drum for Phoenix, but it is worlds apart from Picasim, and much much easier to configure on a Windows PC.  I too failed to make Picasim talk to my FlySky TX...... I'm afraid I can't say whether or not it will work any easier with Picasim.

Futaba make good, if pricey kit, so that 6 channel set will last a good few years.