Flight Simulator For A Beginner To RC Flying

Greg

1 minute ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Good news re the Ranger - we just need the weather to co-operate now!  There are a few threads on here about the Red Eagle that may help you - just search in the bar near the top of the page.

I know I keep banging the drum for Phoenix, but it is worlds apart from Picasim, and much much easier to configure on a Windows PC.  I too failed to make Picasim talk to my FlySky TX...... I'm afraid I can't say whether or not it will work any easier with Picasim.

Futaba make good, if pricey kit, so that 6 channel set will last a good few years.

Thank you. I did think I was doing the wrong thing with giving up with PicaSim but you just changed my mind. How about I give it one last go and try the Phoenix?

No harm in trying Phoenix - it's not a massive financial gamble 🙂

How heavy is your Ranger?  If over 250g you'll need to take a simple test to get an Operator ID allowing you to fly. You can take the test via BMFA (if you join), or direct with CAA.  If you join BMFA, you'll have insurance too...

17 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

No harm in trying Phoenix - it's not a massive financial gamble 🙂

How heavy is your Ranger?  If over 250g you'll need to take a simple test to get an Operator ID allowing you to fly. You can take the test via BMFA (if you join), or direct with CAA.  If you join BMFA, you'll have insurance too...

Its just under 59g flying weight. I will be joining the VBMFA anyway. I thought Phoenix was free? Or am I thinking of the wrong one?

12 minutes ago, Greg said:

Its just under 59g flying weight. I will be joining the VBMFA anyway. I thought Phoenix was free? Or am I thinking of the wrong one?

I downloaded the Phoenix files the other day. I just unzipped them and tried to run setup and got this as shown in the screen shot. Is someone trying to tell me that I should not use a simulator. Perhaps a higher power! 😁 

Screenshot 2023-01-20 145057.jpg

8 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yeah, it's very light! Good idea to join BMFA.

Phoenix is free, but you will need that dongle we mentioned - between £5 and £20.  Phoenix won't run without a dongle.

That screenshot looks fine. Press that Start button......

Not having the dongle. Is that why I can run setup? Just got to go out speak to you later.

I can't see if that Start button is greyed out, but the blue Extract button looks available..... have you actually extracted all the files?   You'll need to Extract all the files, then run setup from the extracted file location.  

Without the dongle, you can run Setup, and upgrade to v6.  You'll be able to start the sim, but you won't be able to fly until you have a dongle, as Phoenix won't spot your controller.  You can also look at all the models and flying sites available.

Greg, just press the start button! If you've got to this point you've extracted the files and installed the program.

You can run the program and get to the main screen at this stage. You can click on the 'setup transmitter button' and read the prompts, but, it will fail when it looks for the Phoenix dongle. So you need the dongle pack I posted the link to a few posts back - the one which includes to 'mini-DIN plug' needed for your transmitter.

The FlySky transmitter will fly a plane which needs throttle, rudder, ailerons and elevator so at this stage there's no need to spend more cash. Wait and see if you like it before buying a more capable transmitter.

GDB

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caveman said:

Greg, just press the start button! If you've got to this point you've extracted the files and installed the program.

You can run the program and get to the main screen at this stage. You can click on the 'setup transmitter button' and read the prompts, but, it will fail when it looks for the Phoenix dongle. So you need the dongle pack I posted the link to a few posts back - the one which includes to 'mini-DIN plug' needed for your transmitter.

The FlySky transmitter will fly a plane which needs throttle, rudder, ailerons and elevator so at this stage there's no need to spend more cash. Wait and see if you like it before buying a more capable transmitter.

GDB

I don't know why but trying again I have manged to install Phoenix except it will not load. I have checked and it is showing on my PC but but when I try to open it nothing happens. The dongle package from eBay you mentioned I did purchase and I now have it here but it seems I not going to be able to use it. As I said yesterday I think I will give it up as a bad job and get on with my RC boat and aircraft building which I have been neglecting whilst trying to get a sim to work. 😀

Thank you for all the help and your time you have given me. 

25 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Hi Greg

How are you trying to open Phoenix?  Does nothing at all happen? Presumably you're using a Windows PC - what Windows version ?

The dongle has no impact on Phoenix starting...

Hello,

I tried two ways to open it. One was clicking "Finish" and the run application on finish option ticked when Phoenix said the installation was complete. The other was from the Start options menu. The version of windows I am running is Windows 10. Whilst you are reading this I am going to try and load it from the icon on my desktop. I'll let you know the outcome.

Just now, Greg said:

Hello,

I tried two ways to open it. One was clicking "Finish" and the run application on finish option ticked when Phoenix said the installation was complete. The other was from the Start options menu. The version of windows I am running is Windows 10. Whilst you are reading this I am going to try and load it from the icon on my desktop. I'll let you know the outcome.

When I double click the icon on my desktop all it does is open a box on my screen saying the shortcut is missing.

3 minutes ago, Greg said:

I just thought. I'll try and run it from the software file.

3 minutes ago, Greg said:

I just thought. I'll try and run it from the software file.

No that is not going to work as I can't find a Run file.

Try digging into the folder where it installed, find the .exe file and right clicking to bring up the context menu. There should be an option to run in compatibility mode. 

I suspect that you are running into an issue where the software is now incompatible with the substantially different win 10 architecture. 

Edited by Lima Hotel Foxtrot

It's Ok on 2 of my W10 devices (Surface and desktop) and runs on my W11 machine as well.... just followed the instructions on rc-thoughts.

Did you definitely follow the instructions?  Download; extract all the files; run Setup from the extracted file location...... 

Edited by GrumpyGnome

24 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Is there a .exe file to click on

My system is telling me that exe file has changed or is missing and offers me a search button to search for the changed file or an alternative. When I click on search my system tells me that the search app is not available on my PC. I have had enough now of trying to get a simulator to work properly on my PC. A shame, but I am just wasting time. Honestly, I think if I want a simulator then I will need to purchase one that is supported by the manufacturer. I am beginning to think that a sim was not the correct way to go anyway.

Thank you to everyone for their help. I'm now off to continue building a model. 😁

18 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Try digging into the folder where it installed, find the .exe file and right clicking to bring up the context menu. There should be an option to run in compatibility mode. 

I suspect that you are running into an issue where the software is now incompatible with the substantially different win 10 architecture. 

Thank you for the advice but I have now given up the whole idea. I'm just off to take some Paracetamol for the headache.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It's Ok on 2 of my W10 devices (Surface and desktop) and runs on my W11 machine as well.... just followed the instructions on rc-thoughts.

Did you definitely follow the instructions?  Download; extract all the files; run Setup from the extracted file location...... 

Thanks for the reply. As I just said to Lima Foxtrot Hotel. "Thank you for the advice but I have now given up the whole idea. I'm just off to take some Paracetamol for the headache".

It is not that I don't appreciate all your help because I really do. I have just had enough. It's never going to work and my old brain hasn't the capacity to think it through. My computing skills are average but not that good.

Thanks again to everyone.

6 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Maybe revisit one day..... it sounds to me like you've skipped a step in the instructions.

In the meantime, enjoy building your Red Eagle, and flying your Ranger..... let us know how you get on.

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

I think i have the CD if i havent sent it too my brother. I may be able to copy it and send it to you. Will have alook when i get home

Thank you very much. That would be helpful. Let me know and I'll PM you my address.