Fokker WW1 green stripped painted aircraft

Erfolg

I have read that late Fokker aircraft particularly EV5/D7 were painted green overall. Rather than being uniform colour, it appears to be streaky.

I have read and seen on YouTube, how on small 1/32 type models some have been painted to create the effect. Some using scumble type paint systems in some cases, others standard paint However I have not found a similar methods being carried out on our sized models.

Has any one any experience, method, seen videos that is appropriate to us?

Are there any links to videos or text and photos?

I assume that the reason was that the printed materials were becoming difficult to source, as the Germans ran out of most basic products (a s well as munitions and bodies)?

I have read that some have used a light blue as the under painting, which struck me as strange, as I assumed that the paint was applied over white linen? Particularly as repainting had an adverse effect on the rate of climb, due to the weight increase.  I have also read that the Germans permitted significant repainting, as an aid to recognition of comrades during actions, as radio communication had not arrived at that time?

The trouble is you do not know what to believe is true, or even an exception, particularly with the passage of time.

I believe that the streaky finish was first applied to the triplanes, then to the fuselages of early early DVIIs before they were finished in the printed lozenge material.

I believe that the wings of the DVIII/EV were painted in olive drab/dark green overall.

Picture of my Hans Weiss Puppeteer below. I used decorator's scumble glaze to achieve the effect.

Baronette in the colours of Hans Weiss. 2..jpg

Baronette in the colours of Hans Weiss.1..jpg

Edited by David Davis

I am coming to the end of building a model of a Fokker V29, an aircraft that was essentially a development of a D7 & D8. It competed at the 3 rd. Adlerhof competition. It appeared to be amongst the best, for most things.

On that basis a overall same colour/shade green wing would suit me much better, in that I can spray the finish.

My only issue is that what ew pictures of the full size are probably less than 5. What came as a surprise is that the body (annoyingly) was covered in what appears to be  5 colour, hexagon, printed cloth. 

I have looked at plastic kit adverts and built kit images, which I now know are not as well researched as I had hoped. The photos clearly show a white fin and rudder. Most if not all models seem to get this wrong.

It is a pity that black and white photos, make what the colours were a bit (understatement )of a guess. I have photographed original aircraft at Old Warden and at Cosford (in the renovation department).

The other issue is the lack pictures, especially in plan. It could be my imagination, what illustrations there are, seem to have subtle shading, to give form, life to the image. But I now pretty convinced that green, is as good a guess as most. I am probably not that concerned as to what is truly a representation of scale, as it is, will be, a every day model, not a Dany Felton, type masterpiece. Rather a 30 foot squint scale model!

I do a far better understanding of many WW1 aircraft and their manufacture than when I started. For quality Fokker were near the bottom of the pile. Although I find it hard to reconcile Rudolph Platz designs with the suggestion he was denied many or all of the technical data and reports available. What I can see that his designs are pretty much by proportion and intuitive observation, a bit of an enigma to me though.

Still need as much help from others as you can all provide.

Hope these help, i used 3 different shades of green, at 1:4 scale use a 2" brush as the full size was painted/streaked with a 8"....

The wing and tailplane at an angle roughly 45 degrees as with the top of the fuz, the sides of the fuz vertical......the underside of the wing and fuz was a light blue not streaked.

All the best

Dave

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

Edited by david tilbury
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 20/01/2023 at 08:38, david tilbury said:

Hope these help, i used 3 different shades of green, at 1:4 scale use a 2" brush as the full size was painted/streaked with a 8"....

The wing and tailplane at an angle roughly 45 degrees as with the top of the fuz, the sides of the fuz vertical......the underside of the wing and fuz was a light blue not streaked.

All the best

Dave

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

Very nice work cheers Steve 

It is a pity that the V29 was not finished in the same way.

Although not stated anywhere that I have seen and read. The stripy finish seem to be tolerated for a short time.

I guess that both in the interest of uniformity and weight saving, many of the D7 and the whole or majority of D8 were sprayed uniform green wings and printed fabric open structures.