APPRENTERSHIP

TerryC123

Hi All

New to the sport and am totally blown away with the RCM&E site!! The knowledge of the members is astounding!! (right, got that out of the way)!!

Got a shed load to learn about builds but have to start somewhere?? but where!!

Need a nice easy balsa wood build to make a start, dont care what aircraft it is...........

The two aircraft that i would love to build (when I have the experience), is 

No1. KA6CR Glider. (flown in the K13)

No2. Bucker BU181 Bestmann. (flown by James Garner in The Great Escape)

First off tho, a nice easy Balsa aircraft, hopefully recommended by your expert selves.

By the way, the first line of the message, I meant. Fantastic knowledge.

Terry

Advert

Cheers GrumpyGnome........

size (important?😃) 1.8metres upto 2metres wingspan. Would imagine too big a plane would be daunting for beginner??? Never built before.

Preferably electric (dont want to annoy anyone). Flown engines years ago!!

3/4 channels

Scale or vintage, Like the old planes.......

Novice/beginner builder!!

Many years ago, used to fly, Futaba fan. But that was in another century (really)!! 

Appreciate your help and advice.

Terry

If you've flown before how about this........https://www.dbsportandscale.com/corben-baby-ace-6512-p.asp

Not an absolute beginners model in terms of building but nothing that would be too daunting if you'd be prepared to do a bit of research. You'll then wind up with a model that looks like a real aeroplane (my favourite type) and won't be tricky to fly.

• Like 1

First of all get a copy of this months RCME and look at the free pull out  O-Four9ier E plan - could be a plane to suit  you  or just to see how balsa building is done by studying the plan.  This design is simple to build and uses little balsa but spans 56 inches ( it's easier too see a medium size plane than a tiny thing especially if older ) and the latest one is for electric but could be built as the original for an .49 glow.   As all the regular forum members know the designer - Peter Miller - is on this forum most days to advise people who are building from his plans.   You cannot get better than that!

If you are an experienced model pilot then a design like Ohmen might suit as a first balsa build. Again lots of info on this forum to help you.

Then look through all the simpler designs on Outerzone to see if any suit , - I said simpler because a completed simple design is more use than a half built scale design.    Consider the Barnstormer 52 or 63 rather than the Corben Baby Ace for that reason.

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kc said:

First of all get a copy of this months RCME and look at the free pull out  O-Four9ier E plan - could be a plane to suit  you  or just to see how balsa building is done by studying the plan.  This design is simple to build and uses little balsa but spans 56 inches ( it's easier too see a medium size plane than a tiny thing especially if older ) and the latest one is for electric but could be built as the original for an .49 glow.   As all the regular forum members know the designer - Peter Miller - is on this forum most days to advise people who are building from his plans.   You cannot get better than that!

If you are an experienced model pilot then a design like Ohmen might suit as a first balsa build. Again lots of info on this forum to help you.

Then look through all the simpler designs on Outerzone to see if any suit , - I said simpler because a completed simple design is more use than a half built scale design.    Consider the Barnstormer 52 or 63 rather than the Corben Baby Ace for that reason.

Off to W H Smith tomorrow!! Taking the wife shopping anyway.....excuse!!

What kneck of the woods are you in Terry, Llanfairpg ?

Caernarfon whsmiths had 3 left of the 049ier Feb rcme mag a few days ago.

Hope your local smiths stock the mag.....enjoy...

If you need a Cox engine, Google dens model supplies. You can get RC throttle able reed back plates these days but will need a fuel tank and silencer not to mention fuel and glow clip/battery pack etc..

Or go the electric route...see mag and George at 4max.

You have a club in mind ?

Any slope soaring sites near you ?

Edited by Rich Griff

On 26/01/2023 at 19:50, Rich Griff said:

What kneck of the woods are you in Terry, Llanfairpg ?

Caernarfon whsmiths had 3 left of the 049ier Feb rcme mag a few days ago.

Hope your local smiths stock the mag.....enjoy...

If you need a Cox engine, Google dens model supplies. You can get RC throttle able reed back plates these days but will need a fuel tank and silencer not to mention fuel and glow clip/battery pack etc..

Or go the electric route...see mag and George at 4max.

You have a club in mind ?

Any slope soaring sites near you ?

No!! only the north coast of Norfolk BUT persevered and found the last copy in independant newsagents!! so well pleased, if I like the mag will subscribe, sod driving around looking!!

Just bought the rcme for FEB, great reading!! (for a beginner). I get a bi-monthly magazine from BGA (gliding). RCM&E is twice the size of the BGA mag. Even the Editors page is good!! I am only reading in on this Sport, getting ideas from the membership etc. Brilliant.