Fuel for Laser/Saito query

SiBee

39 minutes ago, SiBee said:

Just fired up the Saito for the first time with Laser 5.

Started straight away but loads of smoke and oil/fuel splattered over the wing. The needle valve was 2 1/2 turns from closed so I guess it’s firing too rich so I wound it in a full turn. 

That’s consistent with it having been run on a higher nitro content fuel by the previous owner. 

• Like 1

Advert

11 hours ago, SiBee said:

Started straight away but loads of smoke and oil/fuel splattered over the wing. The needle valve was 2 1/2 turns from closed so I guess it’s firing too rich so I wound it in a full turn. 

It's only old oil dried up in the bottom of the engine, it will burn off as the engine gets warm after a few runs it's nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

if I had one I would NOT run it on Prosynth purely because you are the expert on Lasers and you say they won't like it.

My impression from previous debates on this issue was you had some and did use prosynth, if i was incorrect then that is my mistake. 

21 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree. 

So i keep getting told but its not gonna happen. Not with you personally, but in general. If its not good enough for one brand its probably not good enough for the rest either. I know what i know and i would not make such a fuss about it if i thought for a moment that it was ok. I still have some prosynth from when i was testing it. I could always try running it again, its just that it performed so badly before i dont see the point. 

16 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Can a flyer use and maintain an engine without actually having designed and built it ? Answers a resounding Yes

They can indeed, although i wish more would as they would save themselves some trouble and save a few quid as well.

15 hours ago, Solly said:

Weston uk are well established manufacturers of West contest winning high quality engines. It’s significant that they have recently extended their 12 month warranty to 24 months provided only Prosynth fuel is used.

well, they arent going to bad mouth their own product are they? But as its their own warranty and all dealt with in house i guess its not an issue provided their warranty is supported. 

Until next time i am done with the prosyth chat for now. Im sure it will be back again for round 786 in a few weeks so we can have another go at it then. 

13 hours ago, SiBee said:

Cant tune engines by counting turns 😉 just keep leaning it off until you hit peak rpm and then have a go at the slow run needle. As the other guys rightly said it will be set rich if it ran on higher nitro and oil before. I cant remember if it was already discussed, but is this the red laser 5 fuel or the older purple one? Either is fine its just that the purple one is discontinued as the red one replaced it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Cant tune engines by counting turns 😉 just keep leaning it off until you hit peak rpm and then have a go at the slow run needle. As the other guys rightly said it will be set rich if it ran on higher nitro and oil before. I cant remember if it was already discussed, but is this the red laser 5 fuel or the older purple one? Either is fine its just that the purple one is discontinued as the red one replaced it. 

thanks very much Jon