SC/ASP 30 FS

Dougie Swan 1

Advert

I presume that the pin has snapped off ?

Mine pin snapped off due to miss-handling but I was fortunate to purchase the last one from Just Engines.

I believe the pin is pressed in so it might be possible to press out the old bit and fit in a new one.

Problem is finding someone to do it. ?

22 hours ago, Dougie Swan 1 said:

Thanks for that John 

Yes, that's what happened 

If it's pressed in then I can probably machine a new pin and do it myself 

Regards 

Dougie 

Hi Dougie. The crank pin could be just a cut down roller as used in roller bearings . Many engines used these .  Very cheap and could save you some machining time.

Better still check if an OS 30 fs crank will fit . The Asps were copies of the OS engines and cranks from the OS 52 fits the ASP 52 and 60 engines exactly . They are far better quality and run much smoother . 

Good luck and hope you get it running.

Thanks for the replies 

How lucky am I, a long time ago I rebuilt another 30fs and while looking for an old carb I came across the old crankshaft so I have a replacement 

On the subject of replacing the crank pin I had a good look and if it is pressed in then it must be into a blind hole

That might mean drilling from the back to punch the old one out

I will keep you updated 

Dougie 

15 minutes ago, Dougie Swan 1 said:

On the subject of replacing the crank pin I had a good look and if it is pressed in then it must be into a blind hole

I think they press the pin and then finish turn the crank so the hole is virtually invisible. I repaired a 52 for someone once and was messing about with the bent crank left over. It looked like one piece but i pressed in the general area of the middle of the pin and it eventually popped out. 

• 1 month later...

Hi

So I finally got to the 30 with the broken crank pin

I made a little jig to push it out, lined it up in the vice and bingo

Now the issue is making a new pin

It's a stepped pin, 5.25mm in the rear and 5mm for the con rod end

My other thoughts are to remove the bronze bush from the con rod and make a new one 5.25mm dia then I don't need to make a stepped pin

Any thoughts 

Dougie 

IMG_20230429_123159.jpg

IMG_20230429_123203.jpg

IMG_20230429_133116.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dougie Swan 1 said:

My other thoughts are to remove the bronze bush from the con rod and make a new one 5.25mm dia then I don't need to make a stepped pin

i would be tempted to just stuff a reamer through it rather than make a new bush. 

Id opt for a straight roller pin as the step seems to be the root / weak spot and cause of this common problem. Just ensure there is enough room in the big end to take a larger bush ; and if you havs to make another con rod to take the bigger big end make sure there is enough room/ clearance in the crank case .👍

Very naughtie of the seller removing all the inards 🤬 Hope you didnt pay much.

Edited by Engine Doctor

Purchased an Enya 40ss on the Fleabay the other day, described as good compression and good condition which it is. Photos looked good but were clever in that the missing exhaust bolt and broken off fuel nipple did not show. Still cheap enough at ££40 and snags easy for me to sort.  Still a case of byer beware.