Saito Bargain only bench run 10 minutes

Paul De Tourtoulon

Big mistake byuing any engine that has "Just been test run and stored" All the ingredients for a ruined engine. Ive seen loads of these so called bargains that have been run and destroyed by the rust inside them.  Avoid them or buy at a price that will take into account a full rebuild etc  .

2 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

As has been discussed a number of times on other threads not all modellers are honest unfortunately 😞 

Hi Jon the seller might not have been telling porkies . Think about it . Test run for a short run and crankcase is full of moisture grabbing methanol , add some after run oil that does nothing and put it in a box . next time its taken out its buggered. Its avery common scenario . So when he sells it its as new to him ?

I bought a YS 140 in similar condition . The seller said it was VGC and turned over with good comp and was telling porkies . When I received it it was a solid lump but I had only paid a low price so not too disappointed . A couple of hours work and new bearings and its like new so no harm . Had I . Iike many modeller who just don't understand how the rust occurs run the engine it would have destroyed itself in minutes .

Hope you get it sorted Paul

13 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

Big mistake byuing any engine that has "Just been test run and stored" All the ingredients for a ruined engine. Ive seen loads of these so called bargains that have been run and destroyed by the rust inside them.

Absolutely true and i had a customer in France ruin a brand new 180 like that. But it looks like the engine has had far more use than that to me so i have my doubts in this case

32 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

As all your engines are test run before dispatch Jon, how do you ensure they are protected?  

Those deposits look like many runs on castor to me…

I dont do anything. The engines are always run on small props for a light load/high rpm, tuned for peak on both needles, and then run long enough at high power for them to get good and toasty. Pinch off the fuel to stop them and its job done. The engines then live on a shelf in the factory so its not like being in a cold/damp shed. Even so, my flying engines do live in an outdoor store and they have essentially been left in the same way following the last time they flew. Some have not flown since the summer, and yet they are still rust free inside as they were nice and hot when last shut down so any left over methanol was able to evaporate. My other engines in storage are run up in a similar way before being stored and then put in boxes under the bed. I have taken engines out after many years of storage and they suffer no ill effects. 

The biggest enemy to an engine is methanol. If you leave methanol in the engine its not gonna go well but if you run out/evaporate all the methanol then you are only left with oil. Engines should always be tuned for peak performance as rich running causes most of these rust related problems. 

I have received many engines back for service which have been stored for some years and gone rusty. Although uncommon, on more than one occasion i have been able to pour the rusty soup out of the crankcase and set fire to it as its still got enough methanol in it to burn even after many years sitting in the engine. 

4 strokes are much easier to deal with the 2 strokes though as they should never have much in the way of methanol in the crankcase anyway. Just blowby. 2 strokes on the other hand need a little more attention if they arent being used for a while but generally the same tricks apply. Its just even more important to run 2 strokes out of fuel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My faith has come back for humanity, the seller sent me 20€ to cover the bearings, however, my 7€40 buyer protection service that you have to pay Leboncoin, is pure robbery and said as you accepted the parcel that was hard luck, I tried to send him my mail address for paypal but Leboncoin systematically blocked it, even my photos, with it on, so I posted it on his Enya sale and there it slipped by.

So now out comes the wire wool and scotch bright,

I was going to convert it to petrol with bits hanging around in my garage, but as the con rod has no bronze bearing it's a no no,,,,

23 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

That’s a lucky escape for it - never really understood the fascination of reducing power output and adding weight to a perfectly good glow engine which then becomes super finicky at the bottom end!

Petrol mix 2.25€ the liter consumption 450ml 16 minutes,,

Methanol 7.5€ the liter consumption 450ml, 8 minutes,,

All cleaned up,, with wire wool and elbow grease😇

The orange plastic flask on the front bearing for some reason has bubbled up, so the new front bearing will keep its flasks, the rear one without them.

Saito 150 cleaned.jpg

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Wire wool.
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

That’s cleaned up nicely. 

I wonder if that front bearing has rusted under the rubber seals - might explain the bubbling?

I am glad that you asked, I just flipped it off, the ring is a plastification over a steel band and the bearing is brand new underneath it with its original clear clean grease, so the engine was new, although there were a few marks on the rear of the rear crankcase cover, maybe it was stocked in a plane with some fuel in the tank  which over time filled up the crankcase and gunged it all up.