First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

6 hours ago, toto said:

Thank you kind Sir. 

Celebrating on Saturday night with my best man and his wife. A wee meal and a drink or two.

I've started the practice round in Amsterdam Airport as I type.

Murphys Irish Red ..... lovely. I may manage to squeeze another couple in before my flight. Ahhhhhh somebodies got to do it.

Cheers

Toto

Yes proper order.  Life is for living.   Enjoy it all Toto.  

The forecast for tomorrow Toto is nice and calm.  It will be cold , but plenty of clothes on will cure that problem.  I'm going flying also and looking forward to it.  Hope you have a great day at the field and make some more progress with your flying .  I'm here in Montys cafe sitting down to a nice Christmas dinner. 

• Like 1

exciting stuff ...... Lipo batteries x 6 and transmitter batteries x 2 are all bubbling away on charge for tomorrow. Truth to be known I'm dreading it a bit as its bitterly cold at the moment but as Aidan said ..... wrap up warm. 

Sandwiches and crisps bought on my trip to Asda tonight in case I am running a bit tight for time tomorrow. Sort out a flask of coffee tomorrow and I'll be good to go. 

looking forward to getting some stick time in. 

toto 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, toto said:

exciting stuff ...... Lipo batteries x 6 and transmitter batteries x 2 are all bubbling away on charge for tomorrow. Truth to be known I'm dreading it a bit as its bitterly cold at the moment but as Aidan said ..... wrap up warm. 

Sandwiches and crisps bought on my trip to Asda tonight in case I am running a bit tight for time tomorrow. Sort out a flask of coffee tomorrow and I'll be good to go. 

looking forward to getting some stick time in. 

toto 

Try to keep the batteries warm as well as yourself !

I happened to have a picnic box with heating and cooling options.  Found the heating option works well.  My version only works off 12 v as it's designed for cars but you can get mains/12 v versions now.  I plug it into the car 12v socket and drive to the field ~ 25 mins.  The packs (10 × 5S packs used in pairs) are warm to the hand.  Provided you keep the lid closed the packs won't drop below ~20C for about 5 hours.

• Like 2

Yesterday was cancelled as the weather at the field changed with temperature drops and incoming cloud that was meant to hold the risk of snow.

I'm glad as the temperature in Edinburgh wasn't great either. Roads freezing up with smatterings of black ice.  Ot nice. However, I used part of my time to visit Go Outdoors and pick up a pair of Salopettes and thermal base layers.

Now you can bring on the snow :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, toto said:

Yesterday was cancelled as the weather at the field changed with temperature drops and incoming cloud that was meant to hold the risk of snow.

I'm glad as the temperature in Edinburgh wasn't great either. Roads freezing up with smatterings of black ice.  Ot nice. However, I used part of my time to visit Go Outdoors and pick up a pair of Salopettes and thermal base layers.

Now you can bring on the snow :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Not to worry Toto.  There was very little flying done our way also as a heavy fog lingered for most of the day making it almost impossible to fly and grounding the bulk of the clubs aircraft fleet.   Onwards and upwards as they say.  Plenty more  good days to come  for you and the Domino to get acquainted.  

• Like 1

Hi Toto

Nothing special I'm afraid.  I bought it when I picked up the first brand new car I had bought, a Saab 9-5 Estate, and it was branded Saab back in 2001.  It has a cold and hot switch.  No other controls.  I find that 30 mins heating is sufficent to warm up the packs - it holds 12x5S packs - I use two plugged in series to give a 10S 5000 mAh flight pack.  There is enough room for an A5 size plastic box to hold various bits and bobs useful for electric flight.

Provided I just open the box to remove and replace packs - used packs heat helps to top up the heat input - the packs stay warm to the touch for about 4-5 hours with OAT as low as 0C.

Hi Peter,

Thanks anyway. I'll have a rummage around online. I'm in no rush as I am sure I can come up with something meanwhile. 

I'm not sure just how much freezing temperatures can effect batteries but if these boxes can make a significant difference, then they are worth the outlay .... even if only used through the winter season.

Cheers

Toto

2 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Peter,

Thanks anyway. I'll have a rummage around online. I'm in no rush as I am sure I can come up with something meanwhile. 

I'm not sure just how much freezing temperatures can effect batteries but if these boxes can make a significant difference, then they are worth the outlay .... even if only used through the winter season.

Cheers

Toto

I have these wonderful motors that run on liquid fuel and generate their own heat!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Peter,

Cheers

Toto

Cold kills batteries.  Below 10 C they start to lose performance.  At 0 C forget it!

Yes, IC don't get so badly affected but they are more reluctant to start and usually need the low and high speed needles a gently tweak if last flown in the summer.  Fuel on fingers also accentuates the cold!  I do fly IC still and enjoy doing so but on a freezing day, provided your flight pack is warm to the touch, it's just plug in and away you go - and you can do that while wearing gloves.

4 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Peter,

Could you give any details on your picnic box. What temperature do you set this to. I'd be a bit concerned not to overheat the batteries in any way.

Cheers

Toto

Something like this would be a modern equivalent to what @Peter Jenkins is suggesting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C3RQ2GR6/?coliid=IOBDCJY9AS8UN&colid=2JJYT2O1TTP8C&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I run mine for 30 mins - happens to be how long it takes to drive to the patch.  The packs nearest to the heat outlet are warmer than the others so I use them last.  They feel about as warm as when they have been used on a normal temp day - nothing like the pack temp when flown on a hot day though.  

I fly the same schedule (FAI P aerobatic schedule that takes about 7.5 mins from take off to landing) on almost every flight but may sometimes repeat a manoeuvre.  I have telemetry that shows remaining pack capacity so make the decision based on that.  Recharging shows the consumption to be between 3,000 and 3,300 mAh out of a 4,800 mAh pack.

• Thanks 1