First taste of the sky

toto

Well ........... broke my duck today.

Visited my local model flying club " The West Calder Aeromodellers " up here in Scotland. 

Had a fantastic day meeting a few of the members, having the chat ...... and ......more importantly........... getting airborne for the first time.

After a tour around their facilities and some general rules and safety inductions, ....... we stopped for a coffee. My kind of place. :classic_laugh:

We spent some time discussing the basic functions of the radio equipment and general principles. We discussed the trainer model ( boomerang ) which I was going to be buddied to and off to the flight bench to fuel up and check out the servos for the various operating surfaces. All was good.

My Buddy for the morning was Jim. Very freindly and could not do enough. Put me at my ease and was happy to answer all that I threw at him. He took the victim up for a quick test flight to ensure proper operation before bringing it down to land and enticing me over to the pilots stand to be buddied up.

Then ..... we took to the skyscraper again ...... all of a sudden the nerves are kicking in ...... whilst I await the dreaded words ..... your'e in control. ..... a novel thought I thought. 

So handed over at altitude on a nice longgggggg straight section of our intended flying circuit. She is flying level and true ...... ok .... turn to the left I'm told. So with a very easy, slow shift to the left of the right toggle, sure enough, it banks to the left. Keep your nose up ..... so I pull back on the same very slightly and the model continues on a beautiful and graceful turn. ....a turn to the right and she levels out straight and level again before a further left completes the 180 degree change in the models direction.

Sounds like a lot of drama just to complete one 180 degree change in direction but the feeling of achievement felt massive. I took the model back along a nice straight run again before trying to repeat again thinking I was invincible only to send the model into a spin towards the ground ..... :classic_laugh: However.... that's where your buddy kicks in which he did and saved the model from certain destruction.

So, I had a few attempts at doing the same with mixed results. Some good and others needing some assistance. We completed our first flight and retired for another coffee ti dissect the results. You could say, a bit of a de-brief. We discussed some of the operator errors and the best way to regain control etc but I think I am probably fall foul of the same errors until I get some good practice time in.

I was taken up again for more of the same, and once again, thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I think I can understand why as a beginner, you may be happy just having say four 5  minute slots in any one day because the concentration levels are very intense. I felt a certain level of relief to relinquish the controls and chill out again. 

I am back tomorrow for more. 

Cheers

Toto

• Like 10

Thanks,

A great day had. It's pretty incredible the lengths that these guys go to to make you feel at ease and feel welcome. A good bit of banter as well.

I thoroughly recommend joining a club. One thing for sure ...... you go it alone at your peril. If I had managed to build my ARTF kit which I'm sure I can accomplish ..... it would not have lasted 5 minutes in the air if going it alone. ..... just dont do it. Have patience and take a planned considered rout.

And ..... enjoy

Toto

• Like 2

Yes .... we are a bit of an allien lot up here. Bearded, kilt wearing haggis chasers. ..... and we use dodgy banknotes. :classic_laugh:

It's great to get started and experience what you have been going through in your mind. There is no better feeling.

Toto

• Like 2

Hello from Aberdeen toto. I will be in Edinburgh n Monday and I plan to pay a visit to the West Calder Flying fields..

You approach is sound. Patience is key.  I started in 2020 and got a ot of support and training from my friends in Aberdeen District Soarers and Kerloch Fliers. I started with a foamy (Sky Surfer) became a repair expert before becoming a reasonable pilot. Sky Surfer was excellent for learning. Very forgiving and robust.. It survived nearly 10 crashes. I liked it so much that I bought a second one but passed it to another new starting friend. My first build was a FliteTest Simple Cub. Another great plane that I have flown regularly  since May 2020.

I never used the stabilizers as I wanted to learn it without assistance.  

I am now able to fly a variety of models including gliders/soarers.

You are on the right track and with your enthusiasm I am sure you will be a good pilot in time.

2 hours ago, toto said:

the feeling of achievement felt massive

This is what its all about and after more than 30 years in the air i still get that feeling when i improve upon something or ace a landing in tricky conditions. If you dont feel that any more, you probably aren't pushing yourself hard enough to be the best you can be. Its not about doing the best tricks. Something as simple as a greaser landing is enough...that said, a perfect 450 foot long 4 point hesitation roll with my sea fury is pretty good too!

Anyway Toto If you think you got a buzz out of doing a nice turn wait until you do your first loop. I always used to teach this quite early as its a handy tool for teaching accuracy and manoeuver planning but also even people not that bothered by aviation know what it means to loop the loop so when the student got home anyone they told was at least able to understand their sense of achievement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks guys.

Looking forward to tomorrow for another fix.

Murat, I worked up in Banff for a while on a large HV cabling project. There is a lot of windfarm and renewables work up your neck of the woods. If I ever head up that way again, I'll be sure to pay your club a visit.

A great way to spend your time when working away from home. 

Toto

Edited by toto

Well done Toto.👍

"I took the model back along a nice straight run again before trying to repeat again thinking I was invincible only to send the model into a spin towards the ground ..... :classic_laugh: However.... that's where your buddy kicks in which he did and saved the model from certain destruction."

Quoting your comment above.........a very important lesson for those 'lone eagles' that dismiss clubs for whatever reason. If you have access to a club and aren't anti-social it's still the best way to more or less guarantee success with a bit of effort.

Congrats again - made my night.

• Like 1

Hi Cuban8,

That's where a sense of community comes .... via clubs and forums. I like the social interaction as well. Whether I am actually participating in the flying, or making new freinds and contacts. Just chewing the fat, learning and getting involved. 

I think it's all the non flying elements that keeps things interesting whilst you slowly gain the flying experience and head towards your " solo " goal.

I'm sure you'll all be hearing a lot more from me over the coming months. Again, thanks for having me.

Toto

• Like 1

Hi Toto.

You can almost feel the enthusiasm from your posts !

It's a great hobby and it's great to have you aboard as they say.

I don't know so much about haggis chasing, but as a Yorkshireman I am quite willing to offer you a good exchange rate on your "dodgy" banknotes.   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Jake,

It does seem to be a real good club with very genuine people. Everybody is so open. Towards the end of my visit today I spoke with a gent who is apparently one of their test examiners. A really nice guy who gives a good sense of encouragement and belief that the club will get me through to that important first test level. 

I am realistic about how long may possibly take and I am in no rush. Yes .... wouldn't we all like it to be tomorrow but there are so many variables involved, ....... available practice time, trainer availability, weather and life in general so late not get to hung up on that and just enjoy the journey.

Again, as I say, if it takes a bit time, there are other aspects of the general scene which you can get involved with in order to give that sense of involvement and knowledge which hopefully makes you a stronger more rounded modeller / flyer.

I go on holiday to Cyprus in June and by then ....... I'll have a word or two of advice for that Easy Jet pilot I'll tell you. :classic_laugh:

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

Well done Toto.

I am in Australia so everything is upside down here 🙃

It seems that you have found a great club and some wise instructors.

When you are proficient and experienced enough (one day) please consider 'paying the piper' and pass on the knowledge and skills to the next generation.

Regards - Chris

• Like 1

It can be come addictive, its the time slots that get you, i.e. weather, work, domestic matters, health issues, important appointments, forgotten batteries/equipment, yes its a joy when we can go. Better still having gone you go home with the unused black bag.

Just do it !

Funny you should mention Corfu,

My instructor for today was telling me about the club in Corfu. Eleven years on the trot he visited there. It's something I may look into in the future. 

I was back out today for more of the same and managed three flights. Again, a mixed bag but starting to get the feel for it. Okay ....... simple circuits ( sometimes not so simple ) but the exhilaration of a couple of succesful turns in a row before the inevitable nose dive sending my sphincter muscles in to a spasm, is fodder locked forever into my memory , at least enough to roll me over into a deep sleep tonight. ..... just what dreams are made of. 

I came away armed to the teeth with all sorts of information from routines required for your bronze or A test, to the various bodies that maybe vying for my membership of their organisation. A lot to take in but given the level of enthusiastic offers to guide me through the various processes and organisations, I'm sure I will be all signed up, insured and on my way to legitimisation in the world of RC model flying.

Again, a very enjoyable second visit for the weekend where a great mix of actual flying, coffee drinking, talking shop and of course , something I suspect most clubs of similar size partake in ...... a bit of freindly banter. 

I was there from about 10am untill just about 4 o'clock this afternoon. Did not know where the time went.

I am maybe just lucky that this club shows a particularly good example of what looks good and upholds the great potential of such organisations in general but giving the benefit of the doubt, I would recommend that anybody, especially beginners, seek out their local club and throw themselves into it wholeheartedly. There is far more to gain than what there is to Lose.

Cant wait until next week

Thanks to all for reading my mutterings. 

Toto

• Like 1

Hi Zflyer,

Absolutely correct ..... life always gets in the way of the more pleasurable activities in your arsenal. Your own health ( more so once you reach a certain age ) and for me .... ageing parents ... which is not a grumble, just a fact and if you are lucky enough to have a strong, close family, it's something that comes first.

I ended up accompanying my instructor back to his house this morning for a couple of items which he had left behind. It happens. However, I'm glad it did as I was given a tour of his workshop and models so it was just a different end very enjoyable twist to the day. All part of the hobby that goes hand in hand with the actual flying.

A great environment to be in.

Toto

Hi Peter,

Absolutely. I have two kits to be built and based on what I have learned of the reality of how difficult the experience can be to a fledgling flyer, both would have been devastated in seconds if I had decided  ..... just to give it a little try. ...... just one misguided attempt would have been fatal.

I would urge anybody thinking about it to put that idea right out of their head. No matter how clever 6ou think you are ..... you are just not nearly clever enough. Even just being able to check your model over to ensure its flight ready, never mind the initial checks to see that the geometry that you have initially " installed " into the model could be the matter of success or failure ...... and that's before you even get it into the air ....... or wrapped around the nearest fence post. Just dont do it.

Whether you like it or not, whether you have deeper pockets than the other newbie standing behind you observing, you all need to go through the same learning processes. There is no fast tracking it so get over it.

My very limited experiences so far see's me in a position ( after 2 days and around 7 flights in total ) where I still have zero consistency even in some of the most basic manouvres, for example, taking a right or left turn. ..... sure I can do it, but not with consistent results. I can still send it p.ummeting towards ground zero in seconds. 

My biggest concern is that whilst I appreciate that it is a learning curve and that everyone learns at a different pace, I hope I dont have my trainer/ buddy frustrated if it takes longer than the average trainee might take. I mean........ how long should it take before someone can gain a bit of consistency. Its anyone guess. I hope I dont put myself under to much pressure not to disappoint.

Anyway, regardless of time ....... it's a great experience

Cheers for now

Toto

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, toto said:

I hope I dont have my trainer/ buddy frustrated if it takes longer than the average trainee might take.

If you put your hand up and want to be an instructor then you take the rough with the smooth. If someone takes 4 years to learn then that is just how it is. If you dont want the 'hassle', dont be an instructor. Not all instructors will behave this way and may abandon students who are becoming an inconvenience. Its not common, and from the description of your club in your posts i would say you are safe. 

Also, you will never learn to fly. I have been at it over 30 years and still haven't learnt to fly. You only learn 'to fly' once there is nothing else to learn about it, and that day will never come. Very much like learning to drive the club instructor is there to give you the tools you need to operate safely without any assistance. Once you pass your driving/flying test, then the real work begins. 

Many students bin their trainer immediately after passing their solo and buy something more exciting/better looking. This is a mistake a trainers like the boomerang you mention are very capable aerobatic machines which have a great deal to teach you. My biggest advice through the whole process from right now to 30 years down the track is not to fly to a place your brain has not already visited. Think ahead and plan your maneouvers. Break things down into small chunks as well. A loop for example has..6? maybe 7 individual steps to it. Get step 2 wrong and its not gonna work so bail out and get that part right. Dont just throw the sticks around, hope for the best and try and pick up the pieces later as the odds are, you probably will be picking up pieces. 

• Like 1