Free Flight Model Kits - Dumas and Guillows

Greg

Hello,

I have been looking at free flight model kits made by Dumas and Guillows. As I am not familiar with these companies please could members give their opinions on the quality of the kits they manufacturer?

Thanks.

Greg.   

Advert

Can't comment on Dumas kits, as I've never had one, but I've built several of the smaller old style Guillows kits and they have been pretty dreadful, due to a combination of tired, poor quality dies, which have often crushed the overly hard and heavy balsa and the hairy, uneven, heavy strip wood supplied. I don;t recall any of the rubber powered Guillows kits that I built ever having good performance 0 the Keil Kraft rubber powered sports models were a bit bigger and much more successful.  I believe that some folks just use the Guillows plans and the nice lightweight ABS accessories -cowls, wheels, canopies., but substitute better quality wood.

It's worth taking a look at the Vintage Model Company's offerings - I was very impressed with the quality of the Messerschmitt Bf109e kit that I got over the Christmas period and my pal's Hurricane, converted to full house radio is marvellous.

My brother and I were given the Guillows Cessna 152 and the Piper Super Cub as presents.  They went together ok and looked nice with the included transfers, however the one piece contruction meant they were weak around the cockpit area.  The wings were massively strong with multiple spars, but even with the suggested cocktail sticks between the wings on the Cub, it broke on one of the first arrivals. 
Harder wood on the longerons, laminated formers and more structure transferring wing loads into the fuselage are needed.

I think the Cessa 150 started out rubber powered and was then comverted for electric round the pole (RTP) whist the Piper Super Cub I built for a Cox .020, which was really too much power for it.

These are the two:
1304521256_GuillowsCessna150.jpg.85d75f36980a0cb4725483d0388ec93a.jpg120613383_GuillowsSuperCub.jpg.dc4675d5302bfde7313e74fcf0d387a8.jpg

Edited by Robin Colbourne

I built a Guillows Piper Super Cruiser and covered it in Lightspan for Cox 010 . Nice model but over engineered and hence a bit heavy. Cant comment on Dummas kits as never built one. I still hav3 a couple of Guillows kits that might get built but more likely to go to a club raffle for Air Ambulance charity.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Can't comment on Dumas kits, as I've never had one, but I've built several of the smaller old style Guillows kits and they have been pretty dreadful, due to a combination of tired, poor quality dies, which have often crushed the overly hard and heavy balsa and the hairy, uneven, heavy strip wood supplied. I don;t recall any of the rubber powered Guillows kits that I built ever having good performance 0 the Keil Kraft rubber powered sports models were a bit bigger and much more successful.  I believe that some folks just use the Guillows plans and the nice lightweight ABS accessories -cowls, wheels, canopies., but substitute better quality wood.

It's worth taking a look at the Vintage Model Company's offerings - I was very impressed with the quality of the Messerschmitt Bf109e kit that I got over the Christmas period and my pal's Hurricane, converted to full house radio is marvellous.

Hello leccyflyer,

Thanks for the your post and thank you for the information. Concerning Keil Kraft I have their kit Ajax which I have just started to build. It is a nice kit.

Regards,

Greg

17 hours ago, David Holland 2 said:

I have built a three Dumas kits, Rapide, Taylorcraft and Tiger Moth, good laser cutting, plenty of strip wood and good plans. Quite fiddly and delicate but very satisfying. Fly well.

David

Hello David,

Thank you. I have had a look through the Dumas range and like what the have to offer.

Regards,

Greg

15 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

My brother and I were given the Guillows Cessna 152 and the Piper Super Cub as presents.  They went together ok and looked nice with the included transfers, however the one piece contruction meant they were weak around the cockpit area.  The wings were massively strong with multiple spars, but even with the suggested cocktail sticks between the wings on the Cub, it broke on one of the first arrivals. 
Harder wood on the longerons, laminated formers and more structure transferring wing loads into the fuselage are needed.

I think the Cessa 150 started out rubber powered and was then comverted for electric round the pole (RTP) whist the Piper Super Cub I built for a Cox .020, which was really too much power for it.

These are the two:
1304521256_GuillowsCessna150.jpg.85d75f36980a0cb4725483d0388ec93a.jpg120613383_GuillowsSuperCub.jpg.dc4675d5302bfde7313e74fcf0d387a8.jpg

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your review of the aircraft. I think, to honest, I prefer the Dumas models over the Guillows.

Regards,

Greg

13 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

I built a Guillows Piper Super Cruiser and covered it in Lightspan for Cox 010 . Nice model but over engineered and hence a bit heavy. Cant comment on Dummas kits as never built one. I still hav3 a couple of Guillows kits that might get built but more likely to go to a club raffle for Air Ambulance charity.

Hello Engine Doctor,

Thank you. I am starting to get the idea that I should consider any I buy in the future are Dumas kits.

I have found (the hard way) that the downside of Guillows kits is the wood grade - only suited for furniture or r/c models 🙃 (as sold to beginners).

Then I have purchased a few model kits from BMJR and wow, what a revelation, they actually fly, and very well, good enough to win a Free Flight  comp and loose them without a D/T.

Great wood selection and excellent models.

No connection except a satisfied customer.

Chris

15 minutes ago, Christopher Wolfe said:

I have found (the hard way) that the downside of Guillows kits is the wood grade - only suited for furniture or r/c models 🙃 (as sold to beginners).

Then I have purchased a few model kits from BMJR and wow, what a revelation, they actually fly, and very well, good enough to win a Free Flight  comp and loose them without a D/T.

Great wood selection and excellent models.

No connection except a satisfied customer.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the link. I will take a look at what they have to offer.

Regards,

Greg