1/4 Scale Fokker Dr 1 Triplane Kit Or Short-Kit.

I have admired the Fokker Triplane since I was a youth; I turned 75 last month! Ever since I saw Walter Musciano's control line version fly around our school playground.  Having flirted with the idea of building a Sopwith Pup and even a Sopwith One and a Half Strutter to suit my Laser 160 V twin, I've decided that it has to be the triplane and at my age, I'd best get on with it!

I have the David Hurrell plan from Sarik as well as the Arizona Aircrafters' plan. I have built many models from a plan but I'm not very confident about cutting a perfectly circular F1 former and if I could get all of those wing ribs cut out too, that would be a bonus.

Does anyone know whether a kit or short-kit is available for this aircraft?

On 16/04/2023 at 11:20, dave parnham said:

Slec i believe do a cutting service

Dave I contacted them yesterday and they suggested a very reasonable price for the wing ribs and formers. I'll have to send off the plan with a note of my requirements then they'll give me a firm price. Although I have considerable stocks of wood I expect that I'll need to order more so SLEC might as well have the order for that too.

I have not yet finally decided upon a paint scheme but it will be a triplane in early markings with black Maltese crosses on a white square to aid orientation. I will chose from one of the following.

1. Von Tutschek's black-tailed Jasta 12 aircraft.
2. Vallendor's Jasta Boelke aircraft with the large letter V painted on the top wing and fuselage.
3. "The Tripelane In The Background" pictured below. This is an aircraft with the fuselage and other parts finished in white. You may see it in the background of the last photograph taken of Manfred von Richtofen just before his final fatal flight. In the photograph he is seen playing with his dog Mauritz. I have not been able to find out much information about this aircraft but I suspect that it was being prepared for one of von Richthofen's flight leaders, Hans Weiss, weiss being the German for white.

The triplane in the background. - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Timo.

Balsa USA kits have a fine reputation but I believe that David Hurrell's plan is more true to scale. As I will only be asking SLEC to make the  wing ribs and formers it will be a considerably cheaper project than the cost of the BUSA kit.

PS. Today marks the 105th Anniversary of the death of Baron Manfred von Richthofen in his red triplane.

Edited by David Davis

Best of luck with the build good to see you using SLEC (pass my regards on to Chris, Tina and the team). SLEC have assisted me a number of times with drawings to short and full kits over the years and their service is absolutely top notch.

PS - don't forget to ask Chris to add all the notches, holes etc that help later on with your hardware installation, much easier Chris doing it on the screen/laser cutter than later on!