Heat shrink film over Heat shrink film

Andy J

About to recover an open structure Playboy Senior wing using a translucent film for the TE section aft of the main spar and a solid colour for the section forward of the main spar.

Will there be an issue if I take the translucent film across the wing chord ie TE to LE and then cover over the forward section with the solid colour from the LE back to the main spar?

In the past I have avoided overlaying two layers of film but thinking there will be more balsa to adhere too by taking the translucent film across the full chord.

Advert

You can float film over existing film using the method normally used for putting on sticky trim. With slightly soapy water and squeeing out the water works better than trying to squeegee out air bubbles. This will work over a large area and once the film is down and all the water has a chance to dissipate, iron down the first 1/4" around the edge to secure it. It seems that any remaining moisture will migrate through film where air doesn't.

This how my refurbished Sebart Angel turned out after a recovering job using the above method.

IMG_20230417_152812247.jpg

• Like 4