Sense Check Wood Grading for Ballerina Build

Having finished off a couple of kits, I’m turning my attention to building a Ballerina as a first plan build, and would like to sense-check my thoughts on wood selection for the main components. Am planning to put in an order with Balsa Cabin, maybe ordering an extra 25% to give me a bit of choice (and setting me up for the next one….)

Ribs & formers, quarter grain, medium density

Fuselage sides  - hard sheet 

Tail surfaces, wing webbing - medium sheet

Wing sheeting - soft sheet

Carved areas - soft 

Does that sound about right, in terms of strength & weight ? Have looked up a number of articles, but would appreciate any comments. Having looked at a couple of Chris Foss models I’ve built, the fuselage sides didn’t seem to be particularly hard, hence asking first.

Many thanks

The designer - Peter Miller - said this back in 2015 - 

"

Don't forget to tell them what grades i.e. hard, medium, soft that you want. You want one 3/32" sheet as soft so yu can roll it round the turtle deck and you want medium for the ribs and medium to hard for the fuselage sides.

Spars quote "Rock hard"

There was a materials list on this thread which may help.  The prices were quoted at 2015 level- it will be a lot more now!   Also a hardware list - Balsa Cabin sell hardware too.

Note that someone found that 7 lengths of 1/8sq spruce are needed not 6 as first stated.   Actually I used hard balsa for most of the 1/8 sq with just a couple of spruce strips.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy-H said:

Ribs & formers, quarter grain, medium density

Fuselage sides  - hard sheet 

Tail surfaces, wing webbing - medium sheet

Wing sheeting - soft sheet

Carved areas - soft 

Ribs light, no loads, formers light or medium, you can reinforce with small sticks transverse sticks. 

sides, soft

tails, soft, or medium for transverse stuff, soft, fore and aft.

wing sheet, carved, soft. 
Build light, fly well. When you get to the balsa bits, the only hard needed is the spars.