Seagull Flybaby / Laser 80

Rocker

Just been informed by my local Model Shop that they are expecting a delivery of the Seagull Bower Flybaby on the 20 June1🤞.Now I fancy one of these and I have a spare Laser 80 sitting on my bench  .Would a Laser 80 be to big for this  model or would it be OK for this  model .It states a 10 to 15cc .And if I am correct that would make the Laser 80 about right  but I could be wrong  ????

Advert

52 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Just been informed by my local Model Shop that they are expecting a delivery of the Seagull Bower Flybaby on the 20 June1🤞.Now I fancy one of these and I have a spare Laser 80 sitting on my bench  .Would a Laser 80 be to big for this  model or would it be OK for this  model .It states a 10 to 15cc .And if I am correct that would make the Laser 80 about right  but I could be wrong  ????

I think that it would be perfect,,,,😇

7 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Its going to be quite over powered i would imagine. I flew a goldberg cub of similar size/weight on a 50 4 stroke way back when and my 62 inch Hurricane of 9.5lbs is also over powered for scale. 

What prop would you recommend for the Laser 80 in this model ???

My Seagull Flybaby had an RCV58 in it originally which provided a very scale like flight performance. Upgraded the motor to a laser 75 which gives a more sprightly performance.

Adding a scale cockpit is an easy mod for this model.

7 minutes ago, Rocker said:

What prop would you recommend for the Laser 80 in this model ???

15x6 to load the engine a bit and keep the speed down while maintaining thrust. Side mount recommended unless you are able to mod the fuselage and get the tank down onto the fuselage floor. 

14 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

15x6 to load the engine a bit and keep the speed down while maintaining thrust. Side mount recommended unless you are able to mod the fuselage and get the tank down onto the fuselage floor. 

Thanks Jon

4 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Yes maybe a 'bit' overpowered, but that's what the throttle servo is for,,,

Just wondering would the Laser 80 fly the Seagull Chipmunk ,or would it be over powered for the Flybaby but a bit under powered for the Chipmunk .I think maybe the Laser 80 might not be powerfully enough for the Chipmunk  ? and would be better be with an  over power Flybaby then an underpowered Chipmunk ???

Edited by Rocker

12 hours ago, Rocker said:

Just wondering would the Laser 80 fly the Seagull Chipmunk ,or would it be over powered for the Flybaby but a bit under powered for the Chipmunk .I think maybe the Laser 80 might not be powerfully enough for the Chipmunk  ? and would be better be with an  over power Flybaby then an underpowered Chipmunk ???

I recommend the 100 for the seagull chippy and customer reports back up that choice. Customers report not unlimited performance but certainly an excess of power from a scale point of view. I have no doubt the 80 would fly one though, it would just be very scale in terms of its performance. 

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

There are 2 chipmunks in our club, one has an OS .120 two-stroke the other a 20cc petro

I hope you have auditory protection pending sonic boom

I do, as I 'prepared' both motors, The OS, bearings and Gaviscool ring, and the Rcgf, carburettor,,,

I also finished my Laser .90 fiddling this morning,,,

Beware of bad props !, I got my two new props from Germany, not what I expected, the 14 x 6 was a sloppy fit on the crankshaft and vibrated like hell at 9.200rpm, 16 grams out of balance,,,

The same make of prop, this time a 14 x 7, 9.100rpm and a steady 1.900rpm idle, giving a respectable 1.71hp.

That's all for now all I need is a plane to put it in,,,

Laser 14 x 6 prop-2048.jpg