Pop-up questionnaire

Wasn't sure where to put this, it's aimed at the RCM&E management - whom I imagine read this forum, or their "people" do.

The popup questionnaire I just responded to doesn't give the opportunity to tell you I buy my paper copy of the magazine at a physical shop.

I do!

Cheers, Graham

RCME q.jpg

• Like 2

Advert

I was wondering when this would be mentioned…. If you answer no to question 3, you get asked if you would be prepared to contribute £5/year to support the forum. Personally I’d be perfectly happy to do that given I am unlikely ever to subscribe, but I suspect I’m in the minority as most people’s default is that all online/social media content is delivered free of charge…

44 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I was wondering when this would be mentioned…. If you answer no to question 3, you get asked if you would be prepared to contribute £5/year to support the forum. Personally I’d be perfectly happy to do that given I am unlikely ever to subscribe, but I suspect I’m in the minority as most people’s default is that all online/social media content is delivered free of charge…

Thanks for that, I suspect you're probably right in your second sentence. I do voluntarily support selected online resources that I value, and in this specific case would move to a magazine subscription - it's only habit that sends me to a shop.

It is a magazine based forum and as subscribers and buyers of the magazine we contribute towards the costs of running the forum (as well as the advertisers).

I don't see a problem with charging those who don't buy the magazine.

This is our "online" club. There are plenty of free social websites (where the quality of content isn't as good, or well regulated).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kevin b said:

It is a magazine based forum and as subscribers and buyers of the magazine we contribute towards the costs of running the forum (as well as the advertisers).

This is our "online" club. There are plenty of free social websites (where the quality of content isn't as good, or well regulated).

I imagine the dilemma for Mortons is forecasting what may happen to the forum, and potentially paper and electronically generated revenue, if a paywall were to be erected.

Forecasting is hard.

Edited to say, Accurate forecasting is hard!

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

If you answer no to question 3, you get asked if you would be prepared to contribute £5/year to support the forum. 

As someone who doesn't currently buy the magazine, taking into account all of the advice and information I have got from this forum £5 per year is a bargain.👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graham Bowers said:

I imagine the dilemma for Mortons is forecasting what may happen to the forum, and potentially paper and electronically generated revenue, if a paywall were to be erected.

Forecasting is hard.

Edited to say, Accurate forecasting is hard!

Agreed. They will have to balance the increased revenue from a forum subscription with how attractive and useful the forum remains if they put it behind a paywall given there are so many free ad-funded alternatives available (RCGroups, Facebook groups based on specific RC interests etc.). The danger is that you get to a loop that goes something like...

• Add charge for forum users who are not subscribers
  • Subset of those individuals leave/no-longer contribute
  • Less forum activity means it is less valuable to those who do still have access; they contribute less oten
  • People question the value of their forum (or even magazine) subscription, and ebb away from both over time.

My instinct is that "free content" always wins, so even thought here will inevitably be rumblings about it here, a more persistent ad funded model is likely to be better for them (and forum users) in the long term than a subscription one. 

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

£5........not a lot of money, but that's not the point. A few thoughts..........

I wonder just how much it costs to run the forum - does it run as a loss even with the advertising revenue? Does it generate much in the way of magazine sales/ subscriptions?

How many daily hits does it get get?

How many visitors to the forum actually make a post? I was surprised at just how many of my club mates follow what goes on here, but would never consider getting involved themselves.

How many active forumites do we have - quite a number of names that used to crop up regularly over the years have gone off the radar.

Without any content being posted, why would anyone bother visiting anyway, so pointless selling advertising.

Perhaps they should pay us to post?

The old 'tray of sweets' thing from a friend who worked in Marketing.......have a tray of sweets at the entrance of a supermarket and make them free and they'll be gone in a flash. Just charge 1p a time and you'll sell next to none.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

It'd be a shame if we lost the forum as it is - not just for the regulars, but the many from all around the world that use it as well. The old and once very successful RCMF forum died a death recently, although for different reasons, I suspect. So nothing is guaranteed to be invulnerable.

I thought this might crop up a while ago, given how the hobby is changing, and buying habits for some printed media differing from what they were years ago as well. Obviously, those that have the responsibility of running a publishing business are bound to think of the bottom line before all else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Thing is, there is more than one way of looking at overall business performance.

Maybe, but if you are barely breaking even or making a loss it tends to be the metric that matters. Given the way magazine circulations are going in general and the demographic issues in aeromodelling it does not surprise me that the publishers are looking at alternative revenue streams to support the mag.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

Maybe, but if you are barely breaking even or making a loss it tends to be the metric that matters. Given the way magazine circulations are going in general and the demographic issues in aeromodelling it does not surprise me that the publishers are looking at alternative revenue streams to support the mag.

All I was really meaning is there are different ways of viewing "the books" depending on how the pie is sliced. However what will be will be.

Not looking at alternative revenue streams would be a dereliction of duty, in my opinion.

The latest submission to Companies House isn't consistent with the "Maybe, but" though.

On 14/07/2023 at 18:24, kevin b said:

I live in a small country town in Australia and have had a standing order for RCM&E and other magazines for over thirty years.

I often receive offers to 'subscribe' but to me what is that in reality?

The vendors make a bit more profit but more importantly, my lovely and loyal local newsagent could be forced to close if enough people chose that option.

My local newsagent employs four or five local people and even through covid they amazed me when not an issue was missed - when I queried this I was told that as a long term customer I had a high priority on the (limited) distribution list 🙃.

I am proud that I am helping to keep a local small business viable and just like hobby shops (still have one locally) without support they fade away until they are just a memory.

To reply to the above quote. - So just how would the publishers actually determine that I was not a long term buyer of the magazine?

Regards * Chris * (A loyal customer and avid reader)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

All I was really meaning is there are different ways of viewing "the books" depending on how the pie is sliced. However what will be will be.

Not looking at alternative revenue streams would be a dereliction of duty, in my opinion.

The latest submission to Companies House isn't consistent with the "Maybe, but" though.

Just read through their 'Strategic Report'. Not exactly encouraging for those who'd like their hard copy magazines to continue for the long term?

Not too surprising though when one just has to look at how bare many once crammed (both in terms of products and punters) magazine sections are in WHS and supermarkets a few years ago compared to now.

Edited by Cuban8

Whilst I note the call for revenue from forums , I also note that I am advertised to on this very page by  Stinger Engines , CML and RCME !   This is all revenue deriving and could be viewed as members knowledge and help to newbies like me , being sold.  After a career of working for and with magazine publishers, I was stunned at the price now asked for hobby magazines, and would suggest that some of the drop in sales might be attributed to the law of diminishing returns.  Often Ed to Ad ratios, are prices are based on readership numbers... the more editorial gives way to lower priced adverts, and cover prices rise, so the sales decline.

I admin a group on Facebook, the reaction to a dead forum for an interest group and it was made private, like behind a paywall.  Because 90% of forum readers are silent observers quietly hovering up information , or passing bye and assessing the terrain, this hidden status removes the flow of casual and new viewers. I have found the arrival of new group members difficult and were it allowed might consider making the group "open "  with stronger moderation.  Add a pay per view to this hidden area in my mind would further distance the flow and growth.   I think this hobby is the perfect antidote to the " press restart" and go again mentality of youth, and as such should be encouraged in that grouping. Maybe the duty of our gathering of grandads to bring the grandkids to the clubs, or do they prefer the peace of own kind.

Edited by KenC

Not sure whether price is the main problem - I saw an Ice cream van doing a roaring trade at a venue recently and was charging £6-50 for a '99'! Not unusual to see people buying three or four at a time for their family! Somewhat beyond my pay grade, I might add........

Just depends on whether people think what they are being charged is worth it and they feel the need to part with their money?