1979 RCM&E home-build 35MHz RC system

20 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I remember SLM in Cheltenham, They seemed a little irritated when I turned up unannounced to buy bits, although they always obliged.

Those were the days when every man and his dog were making 27MHz radio sets and they had plenty of customers for the necessary hardware, cases and servo parts etc.

Funny thing was you rarely came across anyone else actually flying with home made RC gear. 

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I remember SLM in Cheltenham, They seemed a little irritated when I turned up unannounced to buy bits, although they always obliged.

Those were the days when every man and his dog were making 27MHz radio sets and they had plenty of customers for the necessary hardware, cases and servo parts etc.

Remember the glass display cabinet in reception? Those were the days, proper catalogues...... Ambit for coils and design information...... I think they were good 👍 

22 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I built the RCM&E 27MHz FM set for 1/12 car racing, using SLM supplied parts, in the 80s because I was fed up with the interference that was endemic at these meetings. It had the new-fangled VMOS output transistor.

I did the same, I'm sure its still around somewhere amongst other redundant radio equipment.. 

Well I bought a 40MHz Rx crystal and fired up a 40yr old RCM&E Rx with it and it worked fine with the old Graupner Tx. With the old Multiplex Tx it worked but servos very jittery - looking on scope the RF side was all good but the Tx sends 9 channels whilst the Rx decoder counter is only 8 stages so framing gets screwed. Just need to tweak the caps on the front end coils to retune and Robert's your mother's brother...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/07/2023 at 16:41, RottenRow said:

Although not practical nowadays, building your own radio and servos did give a good insight into how everything worked

Dunno, there's plenty of people on youtube who make their own 2.4GHz systems. Must admit it's a project i want to do too but at the moment i've got too many other things going on.

On 18/07/2023 at 10:34, PatMc said:

Funny thing was you rarely came across anyone else actually flying with home made RC gear. 

Whereas more recently at Nont Sarahs and again at Baildon Moor we've had days where every set at the slope was a 2.4 homebrew 🙂

Edited by Phil Green

8 minutes ago, PatMc said:

Must get lonely flying on your own, Phil !  😁

I suppose I walked into that one Pat 🙂 but no - Shaun, Rob Day, Tobe, Mike_K, Paul and a bloke I dont know with a Pi based tranny, we frequently have a good size group of homebrewers up there, then at OW last month all the S/C sets were 2.4 homebrews  🙂

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 3