Messerschmitt M23C

Advert

20230705_100506.thumb.jpg.a2136a58323690b1e48d237ec9c66e05.jpg20230705_100218.thumb.jpg.5e2dafab0b2637d1eb11ee472a8efa4a.jpg20230705_100218.thumb.jpg.5e2dafab0b2637d1eb11ee472a8efa4a.jpgYes, I think so too.I like aircrafts fro the golden aera.Next step was building the elevator..The  tailplane consists of a frame made of balsa strips, which is planked on both sides with 1.5mm balsa.The rudder is conical.The longitudinal ribs are tapered in the kit, but the diagonal ribs are balsa stripes.So I glued sandpaper to a flat board and shaped the elevator in form.This way you can avoid dents.

105 / 5.000

Übersetzungsergebnisse

Übersetzun

105 / 5.000

Übersetzungsergebnisse

Übersetzung

so I glued sandpaper to a flat board and sanded the elevator evenly
  • Like 1

The fuselage

The fuselage consists of a robust front part made of plywood, followed by a rear framework of balsa strips.The assembly begins with the gluing of two 3mm plywood parts to a 6mm laminate,
which is used for the front part of the fuselage.Make sure that only one part of the fuselage has cut-outs for the
the fuselage formers and the wing fasteners.Therefore, these parts must be placed on the inside of the fuselage.

20230719_101533.jpg

Your model seems to be coming on well but the construction seems very substantial.    The original model seems a bit beefy!    8lbs / 3629g for 73.5 inch / 1.85 metre span  ( or is it 78 inch / 1.99 metre?  the data sheets vary from March to April issue! ) 

It's the ply construction that would appear to be the reason.   Compare that with the 4lb 13 oz / 2200g weight of a 78 inch / 2 metre span Miles Magister built by one of my clubmates - almost half the weight!   That Magister uses a very small Lipo so it's much cheaper to equip.   It's just the build philosophy - minimise the weight of everything compared to making everything strong, interlocking and from sheets of ply.    People are realising that the strong construction used for decades on i.c. powered models is not necessary for electric models. 

However I expect your model will fly well as did the designer's original.

Yes, I agree on all points.For me it is a challenge to build the model as light as possible without loss of stability.Unfortunately, I had ordered the complete kit from Sarik.So I replace all the heavy components where possible.Thanks for your comment. I already thought that no one was interested in my construction report.

49 minutes ago, Bernd Lewerenz said:

I already thought that no one was interested in my construction report.

There's plenty of us enjoying all of the build threads but choose not to comment to keep the thread clean, unless there is something constructive to add of course 🙂so please don't be put off posting updates.

• Like 5

On 08/08/2023 at 18:32, kc said:

Your model seems to be coming on well but the construction seems very substantial.    The original model seems a bit beefy!    8lbs / 3629g for 73.5 inch / 1.85 metre span  ( or is it 78 inch / 1.99 metre?  the data sheets vary from March to April issue! ) 

It's the ply construction that would appear to be the reason.   Compare that with the 4lb 13 oz / 2200g weight of a 78 inch / 2 metre span Miles Magister built by one of my clubmates - almost half the weight!   That Magister uses a very small Lipo so it's much cheaper to equip.   It's just the build philosophy - minimise the weight of everything compared to making everything strong, interlocking and from sheets of ply.    People are realising that the strong construction used for decades on i.c. powered models is not necessary for electric models. 

However I expect your model will fly well as did the designer's original.

Agreed; whilst the quality of the build here is great, this is not a model I’d consider based on these pics. It seems heavily over-engineered for an electric powered model of this type that is highly unlikely to be flown in a high speed or aggressive manner.

Edited by MattyB

Now begins the construction of the wing.The main spars are made of solid plywood 13X6mm. One spar weighs 44g

The same spar made of hard balsa weighs only 14g.This would be a weight reduction of 120g

The main spar is moulded

I therefore think that the surface has enough stability even with balsa spars. What is your opinion?

Bernd, if your model is expected to weigh anything like the 8lbs /3629g  then maybe the spars are not the best things to lighten.   If you expect to be much lighter then maybe reduce material, but better stay safe!

But is the spar made from 13 x 6 ply?   The plan seems to say Obeche which is an African hardwood but it's not ply. Obeche  probably is used to make plwood but in this instance I think the designer meant solid Obeche wood. 

I would expect Obeche to be slightly lighter than spruce but not quite as strong -  not much in it though.  I suppose the spar could be made lighter by laminating 3 mm x13 balsa with 3mm x13 spruce or obeche.  May not be worthwhile though - I would suggest saving weight elsewhere such as the wing sheeting.

Bernd, if your model is expected to weigh anything like the 8lbs /3629g  then maybe the spars are not the best things to lighten.   If you expect to be much lighter then maybe reduce material, but better stay safe!

But is the spar made from 13 x 6 ply?   The plan seems to say Obeche which is an African hardwood but it's not ply. Obeche  probably is used to make plwood but in this instance I think the designer meant solid Obeche wood. 

I would expect Obeche to be slightly lighter than spruce but not quite as strong -  not much in it though.  I suppose the spar could be made lighter by laminating 3 mm x13 balsa with 3mm x13 spruce or obeche.  May not be worthwhile though - I would suggest saving weight elsewhere such as the wing sheeting.

Or 6mm spruce alongside 6mm balsa might be equally good.

Of course  1/4 inch is 6.35mm and 1/2 inch is 12.7mm  and this is where metric / imperial can make a difference  with the fit to precut ribs- a sloppy fit perhaps or too tight!   Depends on whether ribs were cut to exact imperial dimensions or to fit available metric sizes of wood.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the long break, but I still had a Dauntless from Phönix to build and now I continue to build the M23.I wanted to reduce the weight of the wing and had installed a main spar made of very hard balsa. This saves a total of 120g and is still stable, but thanks for your advice. One wing now weighs 362g and that is a good value

20240114_180716.jpg

• Like 1

The wing and the tail unit are covered with Provicover 2 from Toni Clark. The fuselage as well.By the way, if you are interested, I can also describe the construction of the Dauntless, which has a wingspan of 144cm and is equipped with electric retractable landing gear.Off course, in an other thread

20231224_115908.jpg

• Like 5