My Next Assembly ( The last in the series ) The Phoenix Spacewalker

toto

My last assembly ..... in the series of trainers .... and not so much trainers ....... this one is the not so much. The Phoenix Spacewalker II.

My Tiger 60 has still a bit to go but hopefully shouldn't be too long before it hits the list of test trials and on towards it's maiden .

So .... I thought I would let you see what's next on the go.

and .... here it is .....

P1110421.thumb.JPG.df3fd10560bf23d02b76edadefe69e48.JPG

I saw the spacewalker at my club with another member and what instantly struck me when watching it fly was just how easily identifiable in terms of its orientation it was to watch in the sky. Its bright colour scheme and reasonable size ..... from memory a 1600mm wing span made it a must have for me. 

I have a Force 0.46 two stroke glow engine trembling in its box at the thought of me preparing to open it.

Its the last in the series of a mixture of low and high wing ..... glow and electric models that I wanted to build and have flight ready for when their call of duty arises ...... in other words ...... when I am ready to fly them ....... lets not go on about that ..... its a sore point at the moment.

As I said when I joined .... the assembly will give me as much pleasure as the flying itself as it keeps me busy in my shed mostly in the evenings.

I will probably call the assembly line to a halt after this ..... for a while anyway as I hopefully get the chance to include at least one of these models in my " learning to fly " programme.

My next assembly will be the Kestrel as ordered from Sarik models which arrives in two days time ..... so I have been informed. My intention is to start that around November and see how far on I get with it over the winter months. So if you are interested in a newbie kit type build ..... keep an eye open for it commencing ....... don't worry .......... I won't give you the opportunity to forget.....😄

Hopefully after christmas .... If I can do something about the " drought of storage space .... a very different " comeback series " 😀 will start with a raft of other models ..... 2 twins and maybe 2 biplanes all sitting here awaiting their fate.

Anyway ...... thats where I am and I hope I am not boring the St Moritz of you all ..... just let me know ...... the pain can all stop. 😄

thanks for now

toto 

• Like 1

Advert

2 hours ago, toto said:

My last assembly ..... in the series of trainers .... and not so much trainers ....... this one is the not so much. The Phoenix Spacewalker II.

My Tiger 60 has still a bit to go but hopefully shouldn't be too long before it hits the list of test trials and on towards it's maiden .

So .... I thought I would let you see what's next on the go.

and .... here it is .....

P1110421.thumb.JPG.df3fd10560bf23d02b76edadefe69e48.JPG

I saw the spacewalker at my club with another member and what instantly struck me when watching it fly was just how easily identifiable in terms of its orientation it was to watch in the sky. Its bright colour scheme and reasonable size ..... from memory a 1600mm wing span made it a must have for me. 

I have a Force 0.46 two stroke glow engine trembling in its box at the thought of me preparing to open it.

Its the last in the series of a mixture of low and high wing ..... glow and electric models that I wanted to build and have flight ready for when their call of duty arises ...... in other words ...... when I am ready to fly them ....... lets not go on about that ..... its a sore point at the moment.

As I said when I joined .... the assembly will give me as much pleasure as the flying itself as it keeps me busy in my shed mostly in the evenings.

I will probably call the assembly line to a halt after this ..... for a while anyway as I hopefully get the chance to include at least one of these models in my " learning to fly " programme.

My next assembly will be the Kestrel as ordered from Sarik models which arrives in two days time ..... so I have been informed. My intention is to start that around November and see how far on I get with it over the winter months. So if you are interested in a newbie kit type build ..... keep an eye open for it commencing ....... don't worry .......... I won't give you the opportunity to forget.....😄

Hopefully after christmas .... If I can do something about the " drought of storage space .... a very different " comeback series " 😀 will start with a raft of other models ..... 2 twins and maybe 2 biplanes all sitting here awaiting their fate.

Anyway ...... thats where I am and I hope I am not boring the St Moritz of you all ..... just let me know ...... the pain can all stop. 😄

thanks for now

toto 

You will love the Spacewalker Toto.  I have been flying mine for a number of years now and it's such a nice plane when it's up there.  Mine is Seagull,  but very little difference in it and the Phoenix one.  They are both made in Vietnam.   I built in a little red strobe light to the belly of the plane just for visual effects.  Good luck with yours, it definitely a great flying aircraft.   

20230621_211617.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you kind Sir 

I just watched your video and it looked amazing. Inspiration if ever I needed it. 

Thanks for posting this up and demonstrating what one should look like ..... let's see if mine is half as good. ....:classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan.

You stated using a 4 stroke in yours, ...... which specific version was it ...... it sounded good.

Cheers

Toto

Its a Saito 62 Toto.   Its always been my favourite brand of fourstroke engine over a long number of years.  They give very little bother and are so reliable.  Ive always stuck with them.  

• Like 1

Aidan,

Could I be a pain in the nether regions and ask for a couple of shots of how you have done the engine cowl to suit the Salto 62. .... no great rush .... just when you get the opportunity.

I don't know if this model may have the space to accomodate a rear facing exhaust port and therefore reduce the heed to butcher the cowl a bit.

Many thanks

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

Hi Toto

If you have a look at Aidans' Spacewalker thread from a day or two ago, he has a video posted up which clearly shows the engine intall as he taxis out.

The good thing about 4/ exhausts is that they're much smaller than an equivalent 2/ and they can (usually) be rotated around so that the exit the cowl inconspicuously. 

It looks to me as though the only cutting required is to allow the cylinder head to stick out of the side. I assume that there's a good reason why he hasn't fixed the engine inverted (maybe he just has a preference not to) which I think would mean little or no chopping of the cowl. Just what I think I can see from the images, you'd need to check.

A 4/ is definitely the right engine for the job, if you're going i/c, the lower pitch noise is much more in keeping (imho). 😉

Kim

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, toto said:

Aidan,

Could I be a pain in the nether regions and ask for a couple of shots of how you have done the engine cowl to suit the Salto 62. .... no great rush .... just when you get the opportunity.

I don't know if this model may have the space to accomodate a rear facing exhaust port and therefore reduce the heed to butcher the cowl a bit.

Many thanks

Toto

Yes no problem Toto.  As soon as I get the dinner here I will take a couple of pics for you .

Hi Kim ... thanks.

I don't know if inverting the engine sometimes doesn't fall in line with the required levels between the carburettor and the fuel feed from the tank. I maybe off on the wrong road here but have seen comments to a similar effect previously. ..... still learning so speak with zero authority.

Aidan .... cheers .... please don't go out your way .... there is no immediate rush. 

Many thanks both for coming back on the above.

Toto

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Kim ... thanks.

I don't know if inverting the engine sometimes doesn't fall in line with the required levels between the carburettor and the fuel feed from the tank. I maybe off on the wrong road here but have seen comments to a similar effect previously. ..... still learning so speak with zero authority.

Aidan .... cheers .... please don't go out your way .... there is no immediate rush. 

Many thanks both for coming back on the above.

Toto

This is the Seagull Spacewalker Toto which I've had for good number of years now.  The Phoenix Spacewalker should be very similar.   As you can see the engine is mounted sideways with the muffler protruding at the bottom.   I took away more of the cowl than was necessary with my Dremel.  You can do a tidier job on your cowl when you get to that stage.    I hope this helps.  Any more questions you have just fire away.    Aidan

20230803_180833.jpg

20230803_180815.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Aidan,

many thanks ..... it's not as obtrusive as I thought it might be. I bet it's still a little nerve racking as you commit to the slice though. :classic_biggrin:

thanks again for posting this up. It just gives me some ideas and options.

cheers kind Sir.

toto

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

many thanks ..... it's not as obtrusive as I thought it might be. I bet it's still a little nerve racking as you commit to the slice though. :classic_biggrin:

thanks again for posting this up. It just gives me some ideas and options.

cheers kind Sir.

toto

The piece of fuel tubing you see coming out at the bottom is attached to the crankcase vent nipple which directs oil away from the inside of the cowl .  Glad this was of help Toto.  

Hi Aidan,

I've seen these fuel dots before installed in other models and admittedly, they look tidier and more concealed. Something I will definitely be thinking about.

I did not bother with any such thing on the Arising Star due to it having an open cowl. But any model with a cowl , then any ideas to keep it as clutter free as possible has to be at least considered.

Again .... many thanks 

Toto

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

I've seen these fuel dots before installed in other models and admittedly, they look tidier and more concealed. Something I will definitely be thinking about.

I did not bother with any such thing on the Arising Star due to it having an open cowl. But any model with a cowl , then any ideas to keep it as clutter free as possible has to be at least considered.

Again .... many thanks 

Toto

This is the one I use for all my planes with cowls . It's cheap and cheerful and does the job.  

20230803_193545.jpg

Hi Aidan,

There us another version where you fit a dot / 2 way valve between the carburetor and the tank. You plug ins filler plug into the valve ( which is fitted to the fuselage ) when you plug the filler, the valve cuts off the supply to the carburetor and let's you fill the tank.

No hose to pull out of the dot.

Don't know if I've explained that very well.

The valve affair is a bit on the expensive side at around £ 27.00. Maybe one for your pride and joy only.

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

There us another version where you fit a dot / 2 way valve between the carburetor and the tank. You plug ins filler plug into the valve ( which is fitted to the fuselage ) when you plug the filler, the valve cuts off the supply to the carburetor and let's you fill the tank.

No hose to pull out of the dot.

Don't know if I've explained that very well.

The valve affair is a bit on the expensive side at around £ 27.00. Maybe one for your pride and joy only.

Toto

To be honest I don't know much about that one Toto.  I have seen it advertised but I've just stuck with this one all along because of its simplicity.   

No worries,

I'll post up a picture of the item as I have 2 ... one for glow and one for petrol ..... apparently they must have their own type fitted. 

I dont intend using these as any kind of standard, just where I maybe a model is a particular favourite. They are a bit too expensive to go shelling out on every model. 

It's very neat with no mess. 

Toto 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toto said:

No worries,

I'll post up a picture of the item as I have 2 ... one for glow and one for petrol ..... apparently they must have their own type fitted. 

I dont intend using these as any kind of standard, just where I maybe a model is a particular favourite. They are a bit too expensive to go shelling out on every model. 

It's very neat with no mess. 

Toto 

Good stuff Toto.  

9 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

SNIP.  Any more questions you have just fire away.    Aidan

One from me, if you don't mind Aiden.

I've been collecting a few "fuel dot" bits however they remain on my bench until I understand one last thing:

I'm in the habit of pumping the tank empty at the end of a flying session. I do this by pulling the feed off the carb and pumping through the "clunk" tube.

Is it possible to do that with the arrangement shown please?

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for the links ...... they are the very ones.

If you dont mind paying a premium...... mess free fueling.

Wouldn't adopt it as a standard but could be affordable for your select few favourite models.

Toto