Dazza's Ben Buckle Super 60, 4ch.

Yes that’s the plan, I know a few people at the club so once I get the plane built I’ll be joining the club and get all the BMFA and things sorted out but until it’s built no point joining just yet. But that is the plan to get trained by someone 👍🏼

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dazza said:

I appreciate your advice on that, I’ve still got time to keep it 3 channel I suppose👍🏼 is it that difficult flying with ailerons🤔

Not at all.  I learned to fly with ailerons on a Precedent Hi Boy back in 1996.  It's really no different from flying rudder/elevator if you set the rudder in what would be the aileron channel on a rudder/elevator/aileron model.  In fact on the few rudder/elevator models I have I do 100% mix on rudder/aileron so I can use either my left or right hand. 

I built my first trainer which was 'full-house' and it was as easy to fly as any other trainer type model and I was well into my 50s then.

Note that the 3 channel wing will have much more dihedral and maybe ribs are different too.   Build to the aileron plan to avoid problems.  ( such as wing joiner being very different etc )

I saw my friends Super 60 flying this morning he said it's the Ben Buckle aileron version - beautiful flights.   Wing has very slight dihedral starting outside the wing centre section.   That is a flat wing centre section and then the slight dihedral on wing panels.

Hi Dazza.

Many moons ago, I built a 4 channel Super 60 from the Ben Buckle kit. If I remember correctly the only deviation from the plan was to glue on the horizontal stabiliser with epoxy. It was powered with a well used OS 40LA 2-stroke, not the most powerful engine by any means. Like KC mentioned above it did fly very well & was not difficult to fly at all, providing you do not use excessive throttle. The only time I used anything much above half throttle was on take off, if the grass on the patch was a bit long.

Incidentally with the 40LA the C of G was spot on. With a 40 4-stroke, you may need a bit of lead in the tail. If you decided to glue on the horizontal stabiliser, it may be prudent to carry out as test balance prior, so you can hide the weight in the back of the fuselage.

Best of luck & have fun

Dave

• Like 1