Dremel clone

Tim Mackey

Advert

Bought one today at Shrewsbury Aldi. Appears to be good quality but doesn't have a chuck. (Just a collet fitting that I am not used to.)  The Combi tool set at £2.91 is incredible value and costs about the same as one Dremel tool.

It is not just a Sunday special. There were a good number on sale today.

Also C size (not sub C) 4000 mah Nimh cells at £1.99 for a two pack.

• 2 weeks later...
I swore I would never step in an Aldi, but followed the missus in last week and came out with one of these. How DO they make these and sell them for less than £15??? I doubt Aldi make 100%, but if they buy them at £10, the wholesaler at £5 etc etc, then we are looking at a couple of quids worth here! I had already looked at a basic Dremel set, which started at £35 or so - without a flexible shaft - so this was a no-brainer. For the amount of use mine will get, I'm now sorted!
Should have posted it up here but good ol' Timbo beat me to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I can only take my hat of to Aldi, for there no noncens prices and to how hard the staff work to keep these shores running so well. I have had so meany difrent tools over the years I have been shopping at Aldi and have had little or no coars to come plain about there store running ability and think others should take a closer look at how a real shop sould be run and how thay can then pass on the savings to us there now faithfull customers.

happy savings Owen.

I go to Aldi, to look for the Gas soldering iron, the £15 drill, and they do not have them. Why o why does my store not have these bargins, Do you know, does any one else know?

Erfolg, be patient, Aldi repeat sell these items quite regularly. I've had the rotary drill for a couple of years now and it get hammered regularly and stands up to the punishment very well. Top notch gear in my opinion and cheap as chips. My workshop is kitted out with most of the stuff Aldi sell (Workzone) and its all pretty durable.

The gas torch looks good too. I got one that looks exactly the same from Maplins. Cost me £19 but was well worth it,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Maybe just me, but I don't like collet chucks. I have a Dremel and a Hobbycraft both with 3 jaw adjustable chucks, I always look at boot sales for the ones with adjustable chucks, they seem to cost a fortune in the shops, if anyone sees them at reasonable price, would e nice if they posted it.

I find that Lidl's often advertise tools but you can only get then in store. They had a paint stripping gun for £9.99 last time that looked suspiciously like an Irvine heat sealing gun priced at the time at £39.99.
Trouble is, you can only get this stuff in store.

Some may find the dremel clone acceptable, but I don't think much of them, (or the dremel come to that) I had a clone as a free gift when I first took out RCM&E. It was rubbish. I put a small drill < 1mm in the chuck and found it had 0.5mm run out. That makes it totally useless as a drill. Better buy Proxxon and have something that does the job you thought you were doing.