Bench power supply

Keith Newman

Hi

Thinking of getting a bench power supply and wondered if any of you have any experience with them. 

Thought it would be useful for various things

Like when setting up a model instead of having to use a Lipo / NiMh pack

For powering some Lipo chargers (some can take more than 12v input (which I normally use from a leisure battery) )

Noticed quite a few of Amazon. 

Just thought I'd ask on here for views

Thanks

Not a big fan of the commercial bench/charger supplies - I've had a couple, but they never seem to be that robust. I now utilise a dual server power supply, and that is absolutely rock solid. Lots of posts about that on this forum, here's one thread that should help...

The definitive thread (including huge listings of usable server and PC PSUs) is over on RCGroups here...

If you don't want to make your own, Coolice can sort you out with a ready to go version.

Edited by MattyB

Yes, all that info is in the RCG thread linked above. Simply search the thread for the model name of the PSU you have/are intending to buy, and the instructions will pop up if they are there. There's also lots of conversion videos on Youtube; again just do a search with the PSU name.

If you buy one of the cheap variable voltage, variable current Chinese bench PSUs just be aware that although they are very good, work very well, amazing value compared to my old HP - they do feed a lot of switching hash back into the mains. I have three, all electrically noisy but otherwise excellent. If you work with RF it's a problem, and if you have a mains-borne router extension its enough to break the link. All mine have high-quality line filters now and don't cause any further trouble. They're used constantly and sit next to my Comms receiver, no hash whatsoever with the filters, unusable without 🙂

Cheers

Phil

IMG_20230928_104231.jpg

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 3

On 28/09/2023 at 13:16, Keith Newman said:

While doing that keep in mind you will probably want to quell the fan a bit, they are usually quite noisy when on full blast. 

On 28/09/2023 at 12:16, Keith Newman said:

Just got to work out what pins I need etc.

You'd best check the extensive thread on RC Groups.  I'm sure it details pin shorts for a range of power supplies.  I only have pin-outs for the HP Proliants, unfortunately, but once you know what the are, the job is easy.  Just use servo sockets (removed from their 'shells') with the wire just long enough to twist & short together.

1 hour ago, Keith Newman said:

Tried Google for this psu (link to ebay above) but cannot seem to find my particular psu for details of the pins to get it to switch on

I'm guessing not all Dell Server psu's are the same. So could be dangerous to just try randomly? 

No, they are not all the same. I too had a quick look for that specific psu and came up with a blank, that is not to say the info isn't out there, it just isn't as common as a DPS-600.  If you don't find any info there is no danger in just plugging it into power and see what appears on the output pins.. (the big fat ones). Sometimes the PSU requires a signal on one or more of its signal pins (the small 15 odd block) to tell the PSU that it is in fact inserted in a bay and it should be producing power. If it were me, and it didn't just work by plugging it in, I would be probing each signal pin looking for likely contenders and then grounding them through a 1k resistor to see if I could get the thing to work.. the worst thing that can happen would be blowing the control board...but it isn't working now is it.... but that is just me....maybe just chalk this one up to experience and go buy another PSU that has info on the RC Groups thread?🙂

• Like 1