charging Li-on batteries

Ernie

1 hour ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

You think that's a rip off then take a look at the cost of a genuine Futaba replacement!

Why anyone pays these vastly inflated prices for what is after all only a battery is beyond my comprehension. 

Possibly due to being scared off by barrack room lawyers who caution about not using the manufacturer's supplied battery. IT's highly unlikely that they are of significantly better quality than those available from third party sources. I recall a mention in the magazine of a club which had banned the use of aftermarket receivers, only permitting transmitter-receiver pairs from the major manufacturers, so no Oranges and Lemons allowed.

15 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Possibly due to being scared off by barrack room lawyers who caution about not using the manufacturer's supplied battery. It's highly unlikely that they are of significantly better quality than those available from third party sources. I recall a mention in the magazine of a club which had banned the use of aftermarket receivers, only permitting transmitter-receiver pairs from the major manufacturers, so no Oranges and Lemons allowed.

Yeah, I have heard about that, and frankly couldn't believe that any club would do so but there you go. Presumably they had forgotten the days when we all used 35MHz and you could always use pretty much any TX and RX together, bar the single/dual conversion bit.

2 hours ago, MattyB said:

If it is setup similar to @Peter Jenkins pack described above with a PCB charge board under the heatshrink, you'd think it would do. For the money Spek are charging for these I'd certainly expect that!

According to the book of words it does. https://spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM8800-Manual_EN.pdf

That is for the original DX8. If it's the gen2, then there's a charging plug in the back into which you plug the supplied wall wart type adaptor.

Kim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake Bullit said:

Does it not charge in the radio set to lipo

?

Spextrum TX's ( post original DX6 DX7 & DX6i ) have the charger built into them so the mains plug & lead is just a 12v psu / power supply,, as long as the TX Battery chemistry setiing in the Tx System Settings is set correctly then yes you can charge a TX lipo in the conventional way by using the mains supply

382626116_1359015341661713_1492192955448774155_n.jpg

Edited by GaryWebb

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

It's good, I think, maybe, very good    I put it on charge as far away from anything that could concievably ignite, but close enough that I could hear the wee bleeper, and BINGO, a whopping 8.1V shows on the tranny     Thanks all

ernie  

Is that charging in the TX, or via your charger?