LBT V2

Caveman

Last May I bought a FrsSky X8r receiver from T9.

I hadn't taken it out of its packaging until last evening. When I tried to bind it to my Taranis X9D, no joy. Looking at the invoice I noticed that it's described as V2, and that's when the penny dropped! It would appear that V2 was introduced last March or so.

I ungraded my TX to EU LBT (V1) a few years ago and also updated the few receivers I had to LBT, and since then everything has been fine.

Now it seems to me that I have a few options to consider, should I :

1. 'Degrade' the receiver to LBT V1 - I assume from the FrSky website that I should use X8R_LBT180322.frk to do this.

or

2. Upgrade the receiver to Mike Blandford's Universal firmware and leave everything else alone.

or

3. Upgrade my Taranis X9D (one of the older ones, not a Plus) to V2 and upgrade all my other RXs to V2 (about a dozen in number).

Of the above I would prefer, in order 1, then 2 and as a last resort 3! I would welcome the thoughts of those of you who have experience in these matter on the above.

One other query, I have one D4R-II, would this be affected by option 3, upgrading to LBT - V2, or are D series receivers unaffected by the change?

Thanks GDB

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll flash the receiver to V1 EU LBT. It's the simple solution.

I'll have a go tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm sure that I read that D8 receivers aren't affected by all this.

At the worst, at some time in the future, I may have to update to V2.

GDB

V2 firmware was introduced to fix a serious bug where, when subject to significant RF interference, one or more servos could move a lot and not return for a second or so. If this happens on a landing approach (more likely as near the ground reception is poorer) a crash is the likely result.

It is therefore generally recommended that you should update to V2 firmware on everything.

If you do put UNI firmware on the Rx, then this will bind (in V1 mode) to your Tx, but will then bind (in V2 mode) later if you update the Tx. If you are going to flash the Rx at all, I would suggest flashing UNI anyway.

Updating the Tx internal XJT should not affect the use of D8 to operate the D4R-II.

UNI firmware is also available for the D4R-II, see here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3391195-FrSky-D16-firmware-for-D8-receivers&perpage=20

UNI was developed from this, and then several improvements ported back to this, The full UNI version for D8 (D4) receivers is on post #640 of that thread.

Mike

• Like 1

Following the advice from Mike Blandford, that I’m up for a challenge and it does future-proof the receiver, I’ve now flashed it to the UNI firmware.

But, the downside of this is that in order to activate the receiver (X8R) a code has to obtained from an FrSky nominated dealer - T9hobbysport in the UK. At the moment I can’t proceed until they reply - we’ll see how long it takes……

GDB

Speaking as another troglodyte, can someone please confirm that none of this applies to DJT module-equipped transmitters, operating V8 receivers?  (You know, the stuff that just works...)

In the event that such modules can/should be updated, what are the features/benefits?

I have to say that I’m a little disappointed that after a day and a half I haven’t received the activation code for my X8R so it’s going to flashed to V1 so I can use it.

If/when I get the code I’ll then try the UNI version.

In the meantime I’ll look up how to flash the transmitter to V2 - I think it is probably prudent to upgrade.

GDB

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Since my last post I have heard from Mike Blandford and I'm pleased to say that it's all sorted now.

I has misunderstood the instructions and once I was put on the right track everything fell into place.

We're very fortunate to have Mike on the forum, what could be better than having advice from the author?

GDB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ron, you say that Aloft in the USA can provide activation codes, but I cannot find anywhere on their website which offers this service.

Can you point me in the right direction? I have around a dozen receivers to upgrade.

Thanks GDB

Edited by Caveman
Spelling

Following on from the above, I've been updating all my receivers from V1 to the UNI firmware - I'm just waiting for the activation codes for the last receivers.

My next task is to update the XJT module to EU LBT V2 firmware.

Before I make a terrible error, and brick my transmitter, can someone please confirm that, for my transmitter, a X9D (not a Plus) the correct firmware is:

XJT_ACCST_2.1.0_LBT.frk

Thanks GDB