The future of the hobby?

FiddleSticks

I see that the BMFA is integral to all the future of the aspect of aeromodelling.

Relating to the viability of LMS, from discussions with a at that time owner of a LMS, rent was less of a problem, than business rates, water company, waste, rubbish and BT ( a non radio licence).

I see a great threat to the hobby from the Commercial Quad/Drone longer term requirements. This is where the BMFA higher profile role comes in. Again I expect that the continuing pressures from, housing and potentially the return on on-sure wind turbines, increasingly threatening our fields. These are now higher profile aspects of services that the BMFA have been involved with, which were once lower down in what the BMFA does for us.

IMO competitions are not the drivers of a significant part of our community. Yet those who actually drive the BMFA at "Area Level" and certainly in the recent past of the upper level of our hierarchy. Us ordinary members would be much poorer without their commitment.

As for the annual Audited accounts. I have read them for several years. I have raised an eyebrow at certain things. But that is not what I am concerned about for the future. Now that the NFC and Head office functions take place on the same site, there needs to be a clear understanding, of what is booked against Head Office expenses, share of rates, rates, salaries relating to the BMFA membership. The same is necessary for running the NFC aspects. Clear divide between membership income versus NFC income. Any sponsorship income who has got it and why. This is not about wrong doing, it is about not kidding ourselves who is making money and who is losing money. It is not about suspected. No one wants to be  compromised, because the true finances were (clearly) not understood. 

Edited by Erfolg

You got a Bee in your bonnet Erf ?

At Northern Area level we have a good group who drive the BMFA for all, they run a big variety of stuff, the vast majority not comp related. No idea what point you're making ?

As for the accounts, there's paper/electronic trails and audits, methinks you're a bit out of order, and if you've concerns get pen to paper or get to the AGM with them.

Erf

You do realise that those who drive the BMFA forward are, for the most part, involved in the competitive part of the sport.  If they didn't give up their time to do it, no one else would.  I see you recognise that but then you go on to raise all sortsbof issues about which I suspect you have little hard information.

As regards the NFC, the use of Buckminster was agreed on a 35 year lease with reviews every 5 years.  The old HQ building in Leicester has, I believe been sold, but we will need to keep those funds invested in suitably profitable areas lest we need to buy another HQ if we leave Buckminster.  I am quite sure if doesn't need your long ramble to convince the Executive to keep the accounts to show how different costs relate to different activities - it's called management accounting.   It is presented every year during the AGM.  Have you ever attended an AGM?  If not, and given the concerns you raise, perhaps you should.

As for the impact of the commercial use of drones that is something the BMFA has been on top of from the beginning.  Thank goodness for the efforts of Dave Phipps who has raised the profile of the BMFA up to Secretary of State level.  I'm quite sure he will keep up his efforts on our behalf for as long as he remains the CEO.

Now, go and lie down and relax.

• Like 2

With regards to the accounts, I am looking to the future, there will be challenges as to how the expense are allocated in the accounts, now that the BMFA membership and Buckminster are using the same site. It is about ensuring that it is clearly understood how the business/businesses are running. To many businesses have failed because those in charge were not as aware as was necessary. Even the Tesco booking issue was about smoothing cash flows, not fraud.

I have no concerns as to committees other than getting members to sit on them. I remain convinced that the majority of those on the committee have a particular niche interest beyond being a BMFA member. I do not see this as a problem, other than we need them to keep doing their stuff. With others I would love to see ordinary members (those who at present just enjoy flying).

We have been a number of general Eras, I would generally describe them as:- ff/CL, followed by Digital RC, after which the ARTF period. We have entered a new era. IMO has  at present a skewed (Normal distribution diagram) where most UK modellers are disproportionally old (compared to UK population, now a major challenge/ threat from commercial Drones (probably wanting the sub 400 foot volume) for logistic purposes.

The reduction in modellers will have implications to the distribution and retail trade. Over the years we have seen many changes, many original companies easing to exist, Keil Kraft, Frog, Veron, Mercury, Kraft, Graupner and so on. Many of  these businesses were essentially driven by a individuals, building mostly small/medium. I think we are probably in an era where many will be home based. In a way I do not see this as a problem. We will see some LMS, Distributers, it is always the way, that some can and will buck the general Zeit Geist, because of some unique quality.

Most of these changes owed little to the BMFA. However I believe we entering a period where the hobby will hinge on the BNFA (and similar organisations in other countries) and its abilities to be engaged more frequently with both Government and general authorities. In its self not new, more a question of emphasis. The same for clubs, in some cases they will probably need the BMFA more frequently.

I see the future having more challenges than perhaps has occurred in the past. That the BMFA will be central. Loosing excess to the use of many Council Parks and noise issues, were seen as unfair, how will the future develop?

I am getting that some think I have a problem with BMFA, I actually believe that our hobby will need the BMFA more than ever. I see a successful BMFA as being central to the future of our hobby.

Erf

You have just set out what I call 'BGOs' - blinding glimpse of the obvious!

Had you read the minutes of the EGM that was where the NFC was voted through you would hsve seen that there were a significant minority who did not want the NFC to proceed as it would not benefit them and as a result the decision was that no membership subs would be spent on supporting the NFC.  The BMFA introduced a fund for members to donate to support the NFC.  All this is clearly set out.  If you haven't read all this information, I would suggest that you do instead of raising lots of points that have been covered.

Of course, you are entitled to raise these points but they reflect more on your failure to properly acquaint yourself with the facts.  A period of reflection by you that you could usefully use to read what has already been said and what fofmed the basis of the decision to allow the NFC to go ahead.

• Like 4

Oh, Peter, such Venom😢

I do remember the motions and various other discussions. It is how they will continue to be reflected in the new arrangements that is of interest.

Times have changed, emphasis also change with times, even interpretations of policy and how they should be applied. Much is changing, it may be blindingly obvious to you. Although i remember that the changes such as CAA test and registration, has resulted in changes that we were were then assured had no material effect. The statements  may have been  all about managing expectations, although the non changes continue to be mentioned, by some. Strangely I always suspected that these no changes or similar could/were about to happen. I did think at the time that the new requirements  were probably the best outcome that could be reached. The blindingly obvious passes some of us by.

Being complacent, and not accommodating changes and threats that will always be around the corner, is to be avoided. In the past commercial business was not interested in the airspace we operate in, I more than suspect they see us as a potential nuisance.

Being to old, I will not be continuing with this thread, I just hope that you younger ones do deal with obvious.

Edited by Erfolg