Help ID this trainer

Masher

1 hour ago, Masher said:

Thanks Gary, I can't argue with million percent! I had seen your previous posts. How would I go about finding one now?

Theres a guy selling some planes on facebook and theres a superfly in his photo.. if u message him it may be one hes selling

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1032019264583250?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A47b87718-49c4-4ff3-8330-6a6131d2f46e

399244298_7489780657703135_6391741134775584890_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masher said:

Thanks Gary, I can't argue with million percent! I had seen your previous posts. How would I go about finding one now?

Also depending where you live,, I was up Modelworld in Sittingbourne Kent last week  and they had 4 channel Superfly hanging up for sale for £75

Edited by GaryWebb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GaryWebb said:

Also depending where you live,, I was up Modelworld in Sittingbourne Kent last week  and they had 4 channel Superfly hanging up for sale for £75

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately I'm in the Midlands but I've messaged the FB lead. Shows they can still be found 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Masher said:

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately I'm in the Midlands but I've messaged the FB lead. Shows they can still be found 

To find mine as a complete untouched 42 year old kit 6 years ago in its original box was an unexpected find i must be honest,, All that was wrong with it was the veneer was starting to lift in a couple of places on the wings, other than that it was in perfect condition for its age.... I had the airframe built by a friend and its sat on the shelf in the cupboard for 6 years till I finally got it flying earlier this year, The Plane is now 48 years old ( only 2 less than me ) and it flies that well it's certainly over powered on the Ripmax Quantum 40 motor 60amp esc & 4S 2800mah lipos also no amount of money that would get me to part with this one

773350.jpg

347376282_10161188939617915_1108149416069336299_n.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GaryWebb said:

Theres a guy selling some planes on facebook and theres a superfly in his photo.. if u message him it may be one hes selling

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1032019264583250?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A47b87718-49c4-4ff3-8330-6a6131d2f46e

399244298_7489780657703135_6391741134775584890_n.jpg

Well spotted Gary!  I really hope Masher gets this one.

We really should have a thread, "Hidden classics spotted in ads".

Edited by Robin Colbourne

32 minutes ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Well spotted Gary!  I really hope Masher gets this one.

We really should have a thread, "Hidden classics spotted in ads".

im what you could call  a Superfly Nutt after having 15-20 superflys over the years I can spot one a mile of or in a pile of planes......:classic_wacko:

5 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

kc mentioned the Robbe Progo earlier.  Well blow me if there isn't one on Facebook Marketplace:

Robbe Progo in Ballymena

It was the D-EMIL registration that gave it away to me.

I can see why KC mentioned it now, very similar. I've been trying to find the bloke I purchased my "yammyfly" off to see if can remember anything about it. No luck yet. The Superfly Gary found is £80 and the bloke is going to send some photos. Unfortunately it's too far for me to travel 

Time to eat my words I guess.😳 After looking at the Yamamoto add and comparing the pic its not the " plastic pig" Yamamoto as tailplane on that  was not mounted on the bottom of fuz ! Oops ! So Superfly it is. 

The earlier mk1 yamamoto with a balsa fuz was a delight to fly as it was much lighter. Had one of those with an Enya 35 in it , great flying model. 

As Gary said I should know as  finished his Superfly for him earlier this year. Note to self ...look more carefully before you leap. 

The superfly flys very well but the GF Yamamoto was just toooooo heavy and fast for a trainer as GF was just to thick and heavy. 

• Like 1

Interested in the above comments so I did a bit of research and according to people who have flown one, the Superfly with fg fuselage is heavy and "does not fly like a trainer" but is fast and aerobatic. Hence I don't see why the Superfly is thought by some to be a better bet than the NewYamamoto with fg and ailerons. Still it makes me more likely to get my Yamamoto out and put this to the test. Aerobatic training is more my level. For basic training I would recommend light electric foamies every time these days.

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2023 at 08:28, David Davis 2 said:

Masher, MFA appears to have produced three Yamamotos: the Mark 1 and Mark 2 which were built up kits with a foam veneer wing, these were all the rage in the Eighties, and the New Yamamoto which had a fibre glass fuselage and which looked something like a Cessna to my eyes. I think that the difference between the Mark 1 and Mark 2 was largely structural but the New Yamamoto was a different model altogether and probably had a larger wingspan to make up for the extra weight of the fuselage.

The Outerzone plan: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8956 indicates that the Mark 2 had a 56" wingspan. The New Yamamoto was too fast for me as a beginner. I believe that the Marks 1 and 2 were better trainers but I've never flown either so can't speak from personal experience. I got rid of my New Yamamoto and built a Telemaster 66 powered by a Merco 35 which flew much more slowly. I took my A Certificate on that model and eventually wore out the engine!

I wonder why MFA chose to use the same name, or almost the same name, for two very different models. It's even more confusing than Keil Kraft's Junior 60 and Super 60!

And why call it the Yamamoto? Wasn't he a Japanese admiral?

Yamamoto was also the name of the Japanese aviator in "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines".  The film was very popular in the early 1970s, so maybe that had something to do with it?