Using a 4-in-1 multiprotocol module with a Taranis X9D+ 2019

RottenRow

I have fitted a new Jumper 4-in-1 SE multiprotocol module to my Taranis X9D+ 2019 transmitter.

The transmitter is running Open TX version 2.3.12 which I believe has multiprotocol module support built-in as standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The ACCST version is v2 EU LBT if that makes any difference to an external module. I don't think it does.

I have flashed the latest firmware onto the module (V1.3.3.33) using FlashMulti, which reported no issues.. The module is now installed in the back of the tx.

After switching on the tx, I get no indication that the module is operating. Neither of the LEDs on the module is illuminated, and scrolling down in the 'Model Setup' menu to 'External RF' does not give an option of 'multi' as I would have expected. I only get the following mode options: OFF, PPM, XJT, DSM2 R9M, R9M ACCESS and SBUS.

Am I missing something obvious here? Searching online produces so much information that I don't really know where to start looking through it all. Does something on the tx have to be enabled for it to recognise that the module is installed?

Thanks.

Brian.

Edited by RottenRow

Hi Brian,

Has the module got a rotary selector switch on it, and if so is it set to '0'.

This allows the tx to communicate with the module via Serial connection.

Kim

Beyond that, I'm stumped.

e.t.a. I'm interested in the outcome / operation of the above combo, as I'm considering getting a MPM to fit in my own X9D+ 2019 as a backup for my Radiomaster TX16S MkII

Edited by Kim Taylor

Hi Kim and PDB,

Thanks for your quick replies.

No, this module is the current 'SE' version, which is serial only and doesn't have the switch of the older version.

In typical fashion, the instruction manual supplied with the module is for the older version with the switch, exactly as in PDB's link.

Brian.

Have you tried clicking on SBUS, to see if it opens up a sub menu of protocols?

As I said before, I'm as in the dark as you.

Bad show from Jumper, having out of date info on the website (just checked, it's still showing the 'old' type).

Kim

Edited by Kim Taylor
typo

15 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

Have you tried clicking on SBUS, to see if it opens up a sub menu of protocols?

It does, but nothing regarding the multi module.

11 minutes ago, PDB said:

Worth flashing the firmware on the module?

Yes I did that (mentioned in original post). I can't do it on the transmitter as it doesn't recognise that the module is installed.

Brian.

I fitted the same module to my earliest version Taranis about 2 or 3 years ago. After flashing the then latest firmware I got mode options: OFF, PPM, XJT, DSM2 , MULTI,  R9M, and SBUS. Note no ACCESS which I don't think was operational at the time.  

The one you're missing, "MULTI", I'm pretty sure was pointed to via the github link in the instructions.

I haven't got time to look at it right now but will have a look later this pm.

Thanks Pat and PDB,

I have a bit of an update....

As I didn't have either of the LEDs lit irrespective of the setting on the external module mode option, I dismantled the module and the connector just fell out! The surface mounted connector had virtually no solder on it. I have refitted the connector and checked continuity from each of its five pins to the pcb tracks and they are all ok now.

Refitting the module (without its case for now) and switching on now gives me some action on the LEDs.... as long as I 'switch on' the external module to any mode. The green LED is now on permanently whilst the red one flashes, at a rate that seems to change slightly depending on which external mode I select.

I still don't have the 'MULTI' option however, so will look further later.

I could put in the latest version of OpenTX, I will look up the differences between my current one and 2.3.15. However as the settings screen in Companion doesn't include a tick box for 'Multi' I'm assuming that support for the module is included anyway. I think I read that somewhere but can't locate that information now.

I do have an older version Taranis as well (OpenTX 2.2.0) which currently doesn't have multimodule enabled. I may well reflash that one, keeping the same version but ticking the 'Multi' box. That will show me something I'm sure.

Not impressed with the build quality of the Jumper module; luckily it will be used mostly for small indoor models. The connector that plugs onto the transmitter pins has no mechanical fixing onto the board, and is mounted such that it will be being pushed off of the surface every time the module is inserted.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far and hopefully more news later!

Brian.

• Like 1

Pleased you've got it sorted, unfortunately your experience with the module confirms others experiences with Jumpers patchy build quality.

While transitioning to FrSky I used an iRangeX IRX4 Plus multi module for DSMX which was rock solid and very well built, only available secondhand now I think.

19 minutes ago, PDB said:

Pleased you've got it sorted, unfortunately your experience with the module confirms others experiences with Jumpers patchy build quality.

While transitioning to FrSky I used an iRangeX IRX4 Plus multi module for DSMX which was rock solid and very well built, only available secondhand now I think.

Still showing as available on Banggood, but tbh I've always been nervous about ordering from them. I do really want to get one of these, though.

I'll take on board the experience suffered by Brian as well as your observations regarding Jumper quality issues.

There is a Radiomaster external 4 in 1 module which sometimes seems to be available also, although until now I'd assumed that all of them were badge engineered and made in the same factory - maybe not!

Kim

45 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

Still showing as available on Banggood, but tbh I've always been nervous about ordering from them. I do really want to get one of these, though.

FYI https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394380316927 👍

Edited because I've just noticed it's located in China, thought it was the UK. 🙄

Edited by PDB

2 hours ago, PDB said:

Pleased you've got it sorted

No it's not sorted I'm afraid, I only have the LEDs on but the Tx doesn't seem to recognise the module. I'll be experimenting a bit this evening.

I'm not sure if the type with the rotary switch on has all of the protocols that the 'serial only' type has. I specifically need HiTek Minima for an indoor model, and can't see HiTek mentioned in the listing for the unit on ebay for example.

It might be down to the version of firmware that is loaded.

Incidentally, the 'serial only' unit has the location for the two switches (protocol selection and bind) on the pcb, so perhaps these could be retro fitted, with suitable firmware downloaded to it. Then it would work in standalone PPM mode, or with an older JR radio.

These pictures show the socket as found (sorry for the poor focus), and as repaired. The third shows the other side of the board where the locations for the rotary and bind switches can be seen.

IMG_2416.thumb.JPG.0c677d81c57ead242da4d0e145341a3f.JPG

IMG_2417.thumb.JPG.bbc7ca1832efe589353f369157ba1494.JPG

IMG_2418.thumb.JPG.59be1fee62a7c00a3ef3335270a77d21.JPG

Brian.

The protocol is called HiTec Red which I think is a version of HiTec Minima. The serial only module definitely lists Minima. In fact I've had it working on a different tx / module combination but I don't have access to that at the moment.

Anyway, the current problem nearly got worse; I reflashed the tx with the latest version of Open TX (2.3.15) but after that it wouldn't even switch on... just a dim blue light behind the button, which didn't respond to any presses.

I disconnected the battery but it was the same on reconnecting it. Clearly I had done something wrong with the firmware download to the tx. I haven't needed to do a firmware update before.

I got it back into bootloader mode and restored the original firmware (I'd taken a backup) and it is working again, though not the Multi module of course.

Brian.

Right, a further update on this...

I now have the module working on the Taranis. It involved reloading the version 2.3.15 of Open TX again, carefully following one of the write-ups on the internet. I can't understand why it wasn't working on 2.3.10. I have also flashed the Multi module with an older version of firmware (V1.3.1.69).

The HiTec Minima protocol is shown, which is great. I can't try it with the model at the moment as that is elsewhere. However I have set the module to FrSky D16 and it works fine with an X8R receiver that I have to hand.

Thanks to all who answered. I am certainly out of my comfort zone with this!

Brian.

• Like 2

I think that's the same multiprotocol module I have in my Frsky Horus and it works fine there.  I only use it for small indoor models and the Volentex 400mm models - I'm not sure I'd trust it for bigger, more expensive ones.  Though I have no reason to doubt it - it's just a totally unsupported feeling.

Just as a matter of interest, how were you doing the update of OpenTx? I've found that by far the easiest way is to copy the downloaded firmware on to the sd card, and do it internally on the transmitter. Similarly for flashing the multiprotocol module.

Both can be done by the transmitter itself, without involving any computers, other than for downloading the firmware and getting it on the sd card.

--

Pete

Hello Peter,

I was hoping to do just as you described, but I just could not work out where on the OpenTX webpage the firmware file should be downloaded from. This is the page to which I am referring:

https://www.open-tx.org/2022/04/22/opentx-2.3.15

At the bottom of the page there is a link to a zip file for the contents of the sd card for that version, but that doesn't include the actual firmware file as far as I can tell; the 'firmware' folder is empty except for its 'readme' file.

Below that are three links for Companion for different operating systems... I installed the Windows version and used that to download the firmware to the transmitter via a USB lead. Companion somehow finds the latest version of firmware that is available. I don't know where it has saved that firmware file on my PC (if it has done at all).

Unfortunately, as a beginner as far as OpenTX is concerned, I could not find a clear and concise set of instructions on how to do update the transmitter firmware. I do have a copy of the printed User Manual but that is for OpenTX 2.2 so it is of some help but there are differences. The OpenTX 2.3 version of this book is out of stock at the moment. There is so much information on the web that it's difficult to know where to look. Neither of the clubs that I am a member of has a resident expert in this either!

What is needed is a 'Dummies Guide to OpenTX' ha ha.

As far as the multiprotocol module is concerned, I flashed that using a utility called FlashMulti (which I was directed to from the Multi webpage), straight from my PC using a USB cable. That worked fine. I couldn't flash it from the SD card at that time because my transmitter didn't give me that option when the firmware file was selected (I only got copy, rename or delete). Presumably this was because, at this point, the transmitter wasn't aware that the module was installed. Also it appears from what I read on the web that a completely blank MPM (which is how they are supplied) must first be flashed from a PC as the transmitter can't flash a blank module, only update the firmware in one. That was the reason for using FlashMulti.

Sorry for the long reply....

Brian.