Do modern ESCs have a 'Model Match' feature?

I recently bought a cheap ESC (pictured). To my surprise, the receiver now won't bind if I have the wrong model memory in the Tx. It happened once when I accidently didn't check I had the right memory at the field, since them I have tried it with a few different memories including a sim. Instead of the normal chirps and beep, it just makes continuous fast beeps. The transmitter binds to other planes (even if I have the wrong memory), but binds to the receiver I have in the plane with the new ESC only if I have the right mode memory. I'm wondering if more modern (although cheap) ESCs have 'model match' as a hidden feature? I have Futaba systems and as far as I know they don't have a model match feature. I'm puzzled? It's obviously a helpful feature. 

Screenshot (104).png

Advert

27 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

No model match. Most ESC will go into program mode with the throttle fully open Futaba have the throttle channel reversed to most other makes and you will have to reverse the channel on your Tx first then calibrate the throttle then program the esc if necessary.

I understand all this and know about the Futaba throttle reverse. I am talking about something quite different: the Wangcl ESC enables model match. Pretty neat feature.

No it doesnt Arthur  🙂  The only connection it has is a unidirectional PWM signal from the receiver to the ESC.

The Wangcl is conventional in every way.  Well, other than its exceptional 1000 hp rating  🤣😂😅

I suspect your 'wrong' memory simply has different throttle end-points to those the ESC has been trained to, and the ESC is quite correctly warning you of this 🙂

image.thumb.png.4affdcde5a52b57086445cd6c59e1c88.png

Edited by Phil Green
1000 hp :)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

....What about the throttle not at low trick, I mean feature?

I have some ESC's that seem to set their throttle low each time they power up hence its important to set your throttle cut to the same as throttle off/low + some TX/RX systems have throttle off set a little higher than the ESC deems as off/low so you add down trim (could do it in sub trim) and then it arms...easy to forget when changing between models that the sub trim is there hence the ESC sometimes arms and sometimes not.  All part of the fun of using non OEM products. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Green said:

No it doesnt Arthur  🙂  The only connection it has is a unidirectional PWM signal from the receiver to the ESC.

The Wangcl is conventional in every way.  Well, other than its exceptional 1000 hp rating  🤣😂😅

I suspect your 'wrong' memory simply has different throttle end-points to those the ESC has been trained to, and the ESC is quite correctly warning you of this 🙂

image.thumb.png.4affdcde5a52b57086445cd6c59e1c88.png

I think that must be the answer. I found it hard to understand. Still, it a good feature to have on my hack plane.

Just heads up but rapid beeping from an ESC usually means it does not "understand" the throttle signal. This could be there is no signal or more likely the signal frequency is beyond the minimum it expects.

Probably the best way to check it is to drive it from a servo tester. The "minimum" signal from a servo tester is often below that from a Tx. At least it would confirm or not whether the ESC works. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Just heads up but rapid beeping from an ESC usually means it does not "understand" the throttle signal. This could be there is no signal or more likely the signal frequency is beyond the minimum it expects.

This is what was suggested earlier (maybe I'm on Simons ignore list), though I meant the pulse width rather than the frequency.     It is possible that an older ESC might not approve of a 91Hz rate (11ms) but I would have thought frequency intolerance (within the typical range) would be very unlikely in a modern unit  😊

On 05/12/2023 at 14:00, Phil Green said:

I suspect your 'wrong' memory simply has different throttle end-points to those the ESC has been trained to, and the ESC is quite correctly warning you of this