14SG software update - where to download?

Artto Ilmanen

Gents,

I want to upgrade the firmware of my 14Sg to the newest (9.0) version:

This is what I found on Futaba USA:

https://futabausa.com/product-suppor...are-downloads/

Links on Ripmax site do not work:

http://www.ripmax.com/Futaba_Upgrade.aspx?UGID=T14SG

How can I be assured I download a correct version (European?)  Can I download it on Futaba USA?

thanks,

Artto

22 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Perkins are now the UK Futaba importer/distributor so you could ask them. I did have look on their website but couldn't see any links to Futaba downloads, but as they have only recently taken over they may not have got those on their website yet.

Thanks Frank,

Very good, I'll contact them

21 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Artto,

You should be aware if you are upgrading your 14SG later than V4 then any early receiver clones may have trouble with the LBT protocol. If you only have pukka Futaba receivers, then you shouldn't have any issues.

Andy, thanks for the hint

I believe I only have one Frysky clone receiver so I'm not running high risks. Al other receivers genuine Futaba. My current T14Sg firmware is V3.0 and the latest is V9.0 so I feel it is advisable to uopdate the firmware, just to minimize any risks in reliable performance of the TX.

Posted (edited)

Good to know - I happen to have also a T8FG Super which I could use for testing, as you suggest.

As a side note, I’m not sure wether the firmware update is mandatory. I just feel that maybe I’m running risks in terms of reliable radio link between the TX and the RX if I do not carry out the update. The current firmware is V3.0 and the latest version is V9.0. For some reason I haven’t seen much discussion on the matter.

Edited by Artto Ilmanen

2 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Well, the firmware seems to be v9.0 which is, as far as I know, the latest. On From what I can see, the telemetry language package is the French version. Neither French nor English is my first language but I happen to speak French so I could maybe take this route. On the other hand, then, I should take the French firmware version as well. Which means it’s hard to get support from any of my flying buddies should there be need for that.  So, wrapping up I think I will stick with the English software package, for convenience reasons.

In anyways, thanks Paul

Thanks Andy,

Ok I see.. 

Have you by any chance came accross with any review or analysis on benefits and disadvantages in upgrading the T14SG firmware? 

I start feeling a bit puzzled wether do the upgrade or not. Mine is V3.0 and so far I have actually been using my T8FG Super TX.  Hence, it would be nice to have a better understanding on pros and cons of different firmware versions as it seems the newest firmware may also cause some troubles as you pointed out.

On or after V4 you get voice announcements and probably some improvements in telemetry, plus extra features like better conditions. Not having felt the need to go beyond V4, I'm not sure how far it goes but the features I have are more than adequate for the type of flying I do. The bells and whistles that many brands brag about don't make you a better flyer.

Thanks Andy.

I hardly use any more sophisticated features beyond some simple mixing such as flap> elevator mix, etc. So from my perspective as long as I have a reliable radio link between th TX and RX I'm pretty much all set. The only exception for what I just said is I'm interested in telemetry and the associated voice announcements. Such as low RX battery alarm etc.

I guess I might be just good with the V4.0 to get the voice announcements. 

As a side note, in case you use the voice announcement feature how is your set-up? earphones with wire or have you custom made a speaker set-up on the radio?

I've never tried to use the voice announcements as there is no internal speaker. You will need to use an earphone. The thinking at the time was you would annoy the other pilots on the flight line with constant squawking from your Tx but as it turns out, other manufacturers (and later Futaba) had no such sensitivity.

When it comes to LBT, if you can't use it due to receiver compatibility, I think the link will be slightly more secure anyway.

Edited by Andy Stephenson

Thanks Andy

Ok, I sent email to JPerkins on where to download the firmware updates. It may be difficult to find past releases, such as V4.0, though: Futaba USA lists only the V9.0 - so let's see. Ripmax used to list all firmware update versions but the links work no more.

• 3 months later...