Warbirds Replicas FW190 building tips and help.

Ron Gray

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It must be difficult to maintain LOS with a plane whilst looking at the ground........ 

I wouldn’t attempt it without self levelling. However, I only need to look down for less than a second - no worse than checking something on the transmitter screen.  Nevertheless, it’s reassuring to know the plane is not going to do anything unexpected. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Drawing quotes 70mm, but its very tolerant and to save adding lead only to then remove it I maiden mine at 78mm and it was fine (might remove some more when I get around to finishing the model!

Ron has mentioned hos is as far back as 100mm (did say its very tolerant !) and the point there IMO is the elevator becomes progressively more effective as the C of G goes back so don't fly with massive elevator throws if the C of G is a long way back from 70mm conversely don't have little travel and C of G at 70mm.

I put a little up on my elevator...that I then had to remove, IMO set flat.

PS one of the advantages of a more rearward C of G is it will take off and land slower, handy for the dolly launch. 

Edited by Chris Walby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flying Squirrel said:

Fantastic, appreciate the advice. Mine has two 3s 2200s up front and balances around 90mm from F2, total weight is only just over 4lbs so didn't know whether to leave as is for the maiden or add weight up front. 

IMHO add weight that you can take out of later and get the C of G to max 80mm. Maiden time is normally high workload so and until you have its measure and trimmed in you don't want something too lively!

A 3 way switch with elevator rates is a real benefit as if needed you can calm it down or not, but I think you will find the FW190 a very pleasant model to fly with no vices I have found.

PS When it comes to landing you should be able to slow it right up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flying Squirrel said:

What was the general consensus on C of G for these models, I remember seeing some discussion around it but can't find it now..so may related threads!

Thanks

I'm flying mine at about 80mm with the standard control surface throws.  I'm not a very experienced pilot but like that I'm finding it very user friendly.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1