Fusion 360, help required, how to create a sloping face relative to the xyz planes

Advert

I had thought that was a solution, although I did not think it was possible.

You now what is coming, it is the how🙂?

The general command process, from that, with luck (rather than intelligence) I will work out how to do it. 

Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs but firstly learn how to loft:

Create a sketch the create an offset plane from that sketch

image.thumb.png.8c93f640419de23212146db9d3f281a6.png

image.thumb.png.382211ffb9e521fea3c1ba9db0ec70e6.png

Create a new sketch on that offset plane

image.thumb.png.588ae568b247ba0e099c478b9451aa32.png

Next select the first sketch, then go to the menu and Create>Loft

image.thumb.png.4170ad4876076d19720b19f4e2cd31e4.png

Select the first profile (your bottom sketch), then select the second profile (your top sketch) and using the 'Rails' guide type the software will connect the two profiles

image.thumb.png.d6a5d169a29cf0699aceca2d74ab45be.png

Click on OK and you will have a new body

image.thumb.png.d38a7e4105c1f257fc962f0ba656e095.png

Once you have the hang of the sthen you can obviously move / angle the top plane to where you want it to be and draw your sketch on that new plane.

There are other ways to achieve this but if you are trying to form a simple wedge then this should work for you.

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Ron, I was going to suggest the same thing. I am following:  https://www.youtube.com/@ProductDesignOnline 

He has a number of good videos and a good learn 360 in 30 lessons which I am about 7 days into.

I'm right behind you, just completed day 3!  Finding it all a bit of an uphill battle after learning the much simpler Tinkercad a couple of years ago.

59 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Personally I wouldn’t go through each video, one after the other just use them as a reference tool when you get stuck.

Seems to me though that unless you’ve effectively ‘done the course’ with the videos, if like me you’ve never used Fusion 360 before, (as someone once said) you don’t know what you don’t know.

Edited by EvilC57

The problem is that if you watch all the vids you soon forget some of the detail. But once you’ve got the basics nailed, such as sketching various shapes and basic extruding then you can look at the vids to expand on your knowledge of sketching and extruding.

Anyway, that’s learning, each to their own.

• Like 1

My initial problem was that because F360 works in an entirely different way to Tinkercad, with initially flat sketches, I didn't even know how to start a design. So even if I forget the details of how to go about doing something more complicated (and being in my late 60s I probably will!), at least if I've seen the videos I should later have some recall that something is possible, even if I have to search back through the videos to find it.

• Like 1

Still struggling, the problem I am having is a diagonal line from one plane to another.

The line tool does not seem to allow cross plane lines. I can create a point for a line on one plane (or parallel plane), many different angular lines along the  plane, or at 90 degrees to the pane, that is say the yz plane, not across the xyz planes.

There is normally always a way, simple when you know what you are doing. If only I knew what ..............................................

OK so you want to build a wheel spat? Assuming that is the case (and ignoring your bit in yellow that says done) you may be better having a look at T splines in Fusion 360 which allow you to create designs that curve in multiple planes. Lots of vids available to help this is just one:

Well Ron, what can I say?

You might forget some of the detail, is very much an understatement when it comes to T-splines. 

It does seem the way to go for Spats. Conceptually I cannot decide to go for two sperate halves, reflected, or a single shape, that will require slicing with supporting extrusion, to cope with the overhangs that would be printed in mid air.

I have used splines in the resent past, although without the complexity, and capability that the T-Splines video demonstrates.

One of the lessons that is appropriate to me, is to plan as far as possible what I am trying to  achieve. My initial approach of free styling as I go leads to failure for me. How the video T-Spliner did what he did leaves me, well, speechless, and in admiration.

I will be re-watching the video in sections it seems.