Is 2.4Ghz universal around world?

Declan Barry

Advert

Rusper wrote (see)

Timbo so that would be 200mW erp but Spectrum say 120mW for the U.S. ones.

Anyway have  a look here for the lowdown.

I am pretty certain that the UK MAX limit is 100mW and the US is 200mW, however all that is pretty meaningless really and the importnat data is as follows.

Quote  - Paul Beard   ( in case you dont know ... he is  "Mr Spektrum" - and he's British you know )

"European type approval restricts our 2.4GHz output power to +20dBm (100mW).

There's less than 3dB difference in the peak output power between EU and US DX systems.

However there is only a very minor reduction in range and no impact on selectivity. And both versions are classified as full range systems capable of controlling any RC aircraft with plenty of margin.

The 3dB difference is very minor when you consider the total path budget of the systems:

Path = RX sensitivity + RX coding gain + TX power
98 + 18 + 22 = 138dB for the US
98 + 18 + 19 = 135dB for EU versions.

So...there you have it from the horses mouth. Now stop worrying about technical guff, buy the UK CE approved gear, and get flying, and stop worrying.

Yes Timbo but what I was trying to point out was that though there is a large difference in the two maximums in practice there is very little difference in output between "our" and the american Spektrum transmitters.

The receivers seem to be the same, I have seen some imported  ones and they are identical including the CE marking.

Anyway with the Puond/Dollar/Yen exchange rate as it is I would think it would not be worth importing them at the moment.

Brian

I agree, VERY little real diffrence in useable / noticeable poer, other than in battery life no doubt! Bet the US sets dont las half as long as ours

The DX6i in particular has fantastic battery life.

And yes, as far as the Rx are concerned they are the same AFAIK  - the O/P should have really been a little more specific about the quipment he was qeurying.

The Futaba FASST system AFAIK uses the same output power in the US and the UK (in fact all over the world, except France). Therefore any Futaba 2.4ghz transmitter bought from the US should be legal to use in the UK from the point of view of output power.

Even so, if it does not have the CE sticker on it, I believe It would be illegal.

From what I understand US has a higher power limit than Europe, France being the exception which has an even lower limit. But I understand the FHSS systems (e.g. Futaba) meet the regs in both US and Europe (except France) and DSM systems (Spectrum/JR) have different power levels in US and Europe, not even sure if you can buy a DSM system in France.

Hence the switch in the Futaba set for use in France.

I am pretty sure, as has been said in several threads, and on several forums, that peak output power in the US is 200mW and the UK is 100mW - early Spektrum Tx units such as the DX7 were shipped as either US or EU compliant, and using a US version in the UK was / is against the UK regulations.... which limit the power to 100mW. 

Later sets such as the DX6i have a user settable software switch fitted, to select the correct power output.

Any US compliant sets of older variety can be sent to HH UK for  "adjustment" to enable them to be used legally in the UK.

Just by way of a bit of trivia, if you look at the CE marking on the Spektrum receivers (the ones I have anyway) there is an exclamation mark by the CE mark.

This is to show that the marked item does not comply with all of the requirements of every country in the European Union.

All anorak stuff I know

Bert