I am thinking of moving with the times and buying a RadioMaster transmitter

I have a Jumper T16S Pro which is the ancestor to Radiomaster Tx16.

In the earlier ones there was an issue with all the ribbon cables with silver connections loosing connection due to oxidation.

Free replacements of all the ribbon cables to gold contact ones cured this fault.

Radiomaster use a different system with wired connections.

I have broken 1 switch with a long lever.

That is it since December 2019.

My radio is really heavily used, every weekend that is flyable in almost all weather conditions.

I use it as the master for Buddy boxing for training at the club I belong to.

True OpenTx can be a steep learning curve but if you use the wizard and a bit of assistance from UTube videos then it becomes quite useable.

It certainly breaks from propriety systems where you HAVE to follow their way of doing things, which can certainly be frustrating - and I do mean Spektrum & Futaba systems.

Never had an issue with range or reception, and I use Jumper, FrSky, Spektrum and Orange receivers all running from an internal 4 in 1 module

Regarding the 4-in-1, multi-protocol module (MPM) use in the RM TX16S, pretty well all the protocol implementations are "reverse engineered" and have no support from RadioMaster. I have significant confidence in the person who does most of the work on the MPM, but it doesn't alter the fact that most, if not all, of the implementations are NOT based on documentation from manufacturers. At some point, a while ago, I found, and provided a fix, for a bug in the DSM code.

It is known that for some protocols (those that use the CC2500 chip) it is necessary to do fine tuning of the transmission frequency. This can only be needed if the hardware (crystal frequency) uses poor quality/accuracy components on this chip. It is not known if the same is true for the other 3 RF chips so these may have similar poor frequency control, but as they don't support frequency tuning it is not easy to test and find out.

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

That's a great summary GG. I've had a TX16S for a couple of years, but haven't gone beyond switching it on a couple of times. If I were to bite the bullet, would you say I'd be better off immediately updating the software/firmware to Edge TX and Companion and not bothering to dip a toe into OpenTX, of which I have zero experience. My expectation would be to be able to use a collection of DSM, DSM-2, DSMX and Frsky receivers with the multi-protocol module that is fitted.

Cheers.

Yes, I'd advise using Edgetx, because it supports your touch screen, as well as being supported and developed. It is also worth using the latest mpm firmware, and the latest full release of Edgetx. You can update the interim Edgetx releases but I don't bother as they are typically still under some development.

In Companion, you can choose a setting to automatically download full/nightly releases, and get Companion to check for new versions on opening. Nothing forces you to actually update your radio.

Edgetx does have a learning curve, but you can choose how steep it is!

Once you get your head around the basics, you'll probably love the flexibility of it.. 

• Thanks 1

I deliberately hadn't included anecdotes, or trashed any brands, just included my thoughts.

The truth us, if you look on t'internet, you'll find takes of woe about just about every brand. You'll find most about what is the most popular brand in my club, but I've not seen, or experienced enough issues to say "don't buy xyz because they are rubbish"......

• Like 3

I purchased the RMTX16s and upgraded the gimbals. I use Youtube to aid settinf up and for other things i find useful. It takes a little time to get to grips, i also bound Spektrum rx's and have RM rx's. However i have found the ELRS system to be neat and tidy.

I still use my Spektrum kit and have not fallen out with it.

39 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I've been on to Horizon Hobbies Europe and two out of the four parts that are needed to restore my Spektrum DX9 to as new condition are not available.

Kept my old DX6 G2 running with parts from Ebay.

Edited by PDB

• 1 month later...

I still haven't invested in a Radiomaster transmitter because central heating oil and van repairs have had first call on my money! There is a basic trainer in our club's workshop which anybody can use. However, its fitted with a Futaba receiver.

I realise that a Radiomaster transmitter will work with Spektum receivers but can you connect a Radiomaster transmitter to a Futaba receiver?

• Like 1