Aerotech FW190

I have a unstarted kit that I’ve had for a few years and was wondering if anyone has ever built and flown one ?It would be for conversion to electric and Pss.Were Aerotech models any good.Lancaster,B17 and Spitfire were in their inventory and other models.Just wondering if it’s worth doing a summer build as it’s meant to be a quick build.

I recall that Aerotec Kits had a mixed reception as regards their quality and flying performance. I don't recall ever seeing any of their models at my club back in the day. I believe that they could wind up very overweight because of poor wood selection, so be careful and replace any material that looks like it's recycled floorboards😁.

May well have got a poor reputation unfairly, so I guess it's a case of looking close at the kit and making your own judgement.

Edited by Cuban8

Hi cuban8,I’ve searched for a while on internet but can’t find any info or reference to the Aerotech fw190.Wings feel very light with foam and obechi veneer.the rest of the components look to be light,good quality balsa but only time will tell and my heavy hand lol.

I have several of their kits, many people say they don`t fly great but i am not sure how many of them have actually owned one and flown one! I have spoken to several people who have built and flown them, their response is parts fit is not always great BUT theirs have flown well, so i would say build it and do a thread on the build on this forum, i would watch it. I hope to have my Aerotech BT-13 in the air this summer.

• Like 2

The only Aerotech kits I've seen completed and flown outwith the demo models at the shows have been their Profile Series and the examples I have seen of those fly very well indeed and make a really nice, simple, low stress warbird to chuck in the car and carve up the sky with a cooking .40 or .46 two stroke. The reputation of poor quality from the other kits always put me off buying them, though sorely tempted at the shows in the late 90's.

Tom,What was the build like for the Mossy?Tom,intersted to know what kits you have and glad to know that they fly well.I will try to do a build log when I finally get round to building it.Leccy, didn’t know that they did profile models but glad to hear that you enjoyed them.At the moment I have a few health problems so will have to finish off my 96in Sunderland first and then start the fw190 build after that.Has anyone built the Lancaster or B17 kits?

Chris,

I obtained it from a good friend complete ready to go, so can only comment on the flying. I do recall that he was not impressed by the kit in general and fit of parts.

There is a build blog Here on the mosquito.

Tom

Edited by Tom Gaskin 1
Link added

I see what you mean about some of the parts fit in the build log,A lot of fettling to get it right. I do hope I’ve not got as many problems when I get round to assembly of the Fw190.By all accounts they seem to fly well and I m glad you enjoy flying your Mossie.

18 hours ago, chris collis said:

Hi cuban8,I’ve searched for a while on internet but can’t find any info or reference to the Aerotech fw190.Wings feel very light with foam and obechi veneer.the rest of the components look to be light,good quality balsa but only time will tell and my heavy hand lol.

How are the Obeche veneered wings holding up? Depending on how the kit's been stored (in a loft with huge temperature swings is very bad for them) I'd check very carefully for signs of the adhesive (usually Copydex or similar) breaking down after a long period. I've seen wings from an unstarted kit where the veneer can be peeled off the foam with very little effort. Once covered, finished and stored normally and providing they've not been subject to deterioration to start with, veneered foam wings seem fine and rarely give trouble.

Hopefully yours will be OK.

Edited by Cuban8

Have checked out the wings and thankfully there appears to be no sign of veneer lifting or separating. Rest of the components appear to be in good order.Do you have any idea when Aerotechfirst started production of kits?Cannot find anything at all online for build or flying of the 190!surprising.

Hi Chris, 

I believe they appeared in  the late 1980's , I bought the P38 Lightning from thier stand at a show. On opening the kit at home it had two port wing panels. After many phone calls 3months later I received  the starboard panel at another show. It was not a great kit but once built it flew OK and looked good in the air.I later built the Wellington from their range it flew well till an engine failed..

7 hours ago, chris collis said:

Hi Eric, didn’t know that they had been around that long.Were they a British manufacturer?The p38,what span was it? The wellington does look good.

Hi Chris,  The P38 was 72"span, I still have a Mosquito kit to start,  that is 71"span.

Edited by Eric Robson

Are you considering building all three of them sometime in the future Martin?Eric,do you plan on building the mossie sometime as I know that you seem to prefer depron equivalent builds,brilliant ones at that.There must be a lot of unstarted Aerotech kits out there!Makes you wonder if their reputation has put people off?

On 27/02/2024 at 18:21, chris collis said:

Tom,What was the build like for the Mossy?Tom,intersted to know what kits you have and glad to know that they fly well.I will try to do a build log when I finally get round to building it.Leccy, didn’t know that they did profile models but glad to hear that you enjoyed them.At the moment I have a few health problems so will have to finish off my 96in Sunderland first and then start the fw190 build after that.Has anyone built the Lancaster or B17 kits?

Hi Chris

There's a Profile Series Me109G on eBay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296245624753?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3hNlwWa6R8m&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=S6bh7olhRJm&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I think it's a bit pricy to be hones. I also believe that all of the profile series have the Mustang picture on the box as the main picture, with smaller pictures of the other models in the series and a mark showing which one the box contains. The plan says it's for the Bf109E.

Edited by leccyflyer
Bf109E not Bf109G